Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opionions about the IPD intake plenums

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 11:32 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

As others have suggested...before you do anything perhaps understand what you have...throwing parts at it without knowing WTF you are doing won't help and is costly. Take Kevin's advice.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:33 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by wross996tt
As others have suggested...before you do anything perhaps understand what you have...throwing parts at it without knowing WTF you are doing won't help and is costly. Take Kevin's advice.
+1^

My undersatanding has been the stock TB flows well enough to put down rod bending/head floating torque and hp already.

Has anyone actually done before & after dyno runs with the IPD independent of of someone selling it? Seat of the pants is no good for 10hp in a car with 5-600 already.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:34 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,707 Likes on 995 Posts

Originally Posted by 911mhawk
+1^

My undersatanding has been the stock TB flows well enough to put down rod bending/head floating torque and hp already.

Has anyone actually done before & after dyno runs with the IPD independent of of someone selling it? Seat of the pants is no good for 10hp in a car with 5-600 already.
Seems a bit strange that the manufacturer of the plenum can't even provide solid back to back apples to apples data. How long has this plenum been out there? And not one single legit back to back dyno to back up the "gains". And for those that can "feel" a 10 or 15hp difference in a 500hp car, my hats off, you guys have one fine tuned butt dyno...

Last edited by powdrhound; 02-11-2017 at 09:48 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:32 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

some reading here and a cpl graphs http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...m-install.html and unless one suspects forged docs they appear to fairly telling and demonstrative in supporting that identifiable gains result when compared with a stock plenum in a 997.2dfi application.

as i said upthread, where i feel definitively noticeable gains is in mid range torque, to describe it, and not added *power* per se.

butt then i must have a finely tuned ***. in fact i've never known of even one individual that could NOT feel an improvement over the stock plenum in terms of power delivery, after a/b'ing the oem vs the ipd installed. butt everyone's *** isn't tuned the same, i suppose.

stop hatin on the ipd lol
Old 02-11-2017, 10:15 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,707 Likes on 995 Posts

Not hating at all. Just saying there is a lot of confirmation bias out there in the sea of aftermarket go fast purchases. Yes, vendors will naturally provide the coolaid but at the end of the day a same day before and after dyno on a 996TT Metzger performed by a 3rd party is what tells the truth. I'd love for someone to provide solid proof of a 15hp gain by simply bolting this on. I'd get one yesterday.

IDP is a straight up company. Last summer they paid $20k for a friends Cayman R engine rebuild after something in his IDP plenum came loose and was ingested by the motor trashing it. I think the Caymen plenums have some type of a flapper in it. BBI did the rebuild..

Last edited by powdrhound; 02-11-2017 at 10:48 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:12 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by powdrhound
Not hating at all. Just saying there is a lot of confirmation bias out there in the sea of aftermarket go fast purchases. Yes, vendors will naturally provide the coolaid but at the end of the day a same day before and after dyno on a 996TT Metzger performed by a 3rd party is what tells the truth. I'd love for someone to provide solid proof of a 15hp gain by simply bolting this on. I'd get one yesterday.

IDP is a straight up company. Last summer they paid $20k for a friends Cayman R engine rebuild after something in his IDP plenum came loose and was ingested by the motor trashing it. I think the Caymen plenums have some type of a flapper in it. BBI did the rebuild..
that speaks well to their ( ipd's ) rep as a company. as to bbi, they are a huge proponent of ipd plenums up to and including offering them for the 991 turbo.

buyers of nearly $200k cars are probably many things, though fools would be low on the list.

..and we've had some version of this conversation before, and while i can't speak to any estimated hp gain ( and I've always said it was noticeable tq, not hp I notice! ), i've also attempted to qualify ( if not quantify ) the type and manner of "gain" that my car has as a result of the ipd being one of the last "bolt on's" to my *moderately* modded car. i can't emphasise this enough: it's NOT a "first mod" to consider, by any stretch.

it just seems to me, disingenuous to infer that there is no "gain" to be had for having "upgraded" to an ipd. it's there and distinctly noticeable to those of us that notice the "minutia" of one minor adjustment/tweak over another.

i'm one, to a lesser degree perhaps, than you? but one, nonetheless.

so it's either that? or the *thousands* of purchasers are all "wrong" and the placebo fairy dust is in full effect.

you were spot on re the sprint booster i wasted 50 bucks on though lol.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:07 PM
911racer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone have the PN for the N75 valves handy?

Thanks
Ed
Old 02-12-2017, 01:27 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by 911racer
Does anyone have the PN for the N75 valves handy?

Thanks
Ed
Old 02-12-2017, 04:51 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
that speaks well to their ( ipd's ) rep as a company. as to bbi, they are a huge proponent of ipd plenums up to and including offering them for the 991 turbo.

buyers of nearly $200k cars are probably many things, though fools would be low on the list.

..and we've had some version of this conversation before, and while i can't speak to any estimated hp gain ( and I've always said it was noticeable tq, not hp I notice! ), i've also attempted to qualify ( if not quantify ) the type and manner of "gain" that my car has as a result of the ipd being one of the last "bolt on's" to my *moderately* modded car. i can't emphasise this enough: it's NOT a "first mod" to consider, by any stretch.

it just seems to me, disingenuous to infer that there is no "gain" to be had for having "upgraded" to an ipd. it's there and distinctly noticeable to those of us that notice the "minutia" of one minor adjustment/tweak over another.

i'm one, to a lesser degree perhaps, than you? but one, nonetheless.

so it's either that? or the *thousands* of purchasers are all "wrong" and the placebo fairy dust is in full effect.

you were spot on re the sprint booster i wasted 50 bucks on though lol.
up until maybe a yr ago there wasnt any competition for the ipd plenum. it was them or stock. so for any upgrade it was an easy choice. not so much anymore.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:33 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 914 Likes on 559 Posts

FWIW I have been working with IPD since the beginning and the guys there are great. The product is sold worldwide by some very reputable long-time names and if it was not what they say I feel many would drop out especially by now. As the largest dealer for them I have yet to take one back or have a complaint to take care of even though that is my policy on everything I sell. The Y diverter is a patented design and works great at improving flow and response as well as providing a simple way to up-size the TB. With IPD you can get both of those benefits. This product has been out for over 10 years gents. So if you have an old or used version that leaks or anything you will be supported. Other than that the plenums have been rock solid in the last several years including a new check valve design from long ago. I'll try to ask Greg how many are out there but I'm sure it's an impressive number with extremely high percentage of satisfaction. Everyone generally puts their best foot forward on posted results. There are different ways that different upgrade parts stack up on the totem pole that is correct and always debatable. But that doesn't mean a particular upgrade does not do it's job. Also guys remember you should have a good conversation with an experienced tuner to see what fits. Sometimes you are octane or turbo or fuel or just volumetric efficiency limited. Then you may not necessarily pick up as much power but a better curve and more usable power or response. IPD have slowed down on forums with a strong dealer network and now advertise in magazines and such. I would be glad to take any inquiries or help out with support for my friends Greg and Mike! They have never let me down and have even hooked up new competitors so that tells me a lot.

That said, I have before and will continue to present the luxury of free shipping, full credit towards independent dyno verification and a 100% money back guarantee for anyone interested who needs reassurance. From the NA comp set-ups to the 996TT that started it all to the 991 I have had proven results to stand by and wold love to help guys make more! Again just hoping to support the community and solid vendors out there.

Here anytime gents!

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com

Last edited by SamboTT@ByDesign; 02-12-2017 at 11:50 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:11 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

only to add i bought mine thru sam and while not knowing better at the time, i was originally tempted to go for the 74mm plenum requiring the 74tb. but in discussing and after considering my power level, and the type of driving i do, the 68 was going to be the better choice. bigger not always being better.

he also gave me what i am sure is the best price. the ipd plenum is not a $XXX.XX paperweight. again, it "works".
Old 02-13-2017, 01:11 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Sambo, No offense intended, but you are debating the value of the iPD plenum and the OP in his first post asks if the IPD plenum is worth it as a FIRST modification while his car is over and under boosting. I would suggest he understand what is wrong with the car...then determine what he ultimately wants from modifications and plan to do modifications that fir that goal. Throwing the IPD plenum as a first mod when his car currently has unknown problems is a bad idea IMHO.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:16 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 914 Likes on 559 Posts

Non taken pal! I absolutely agree here and sorry in my rant I missed the OP's issue LOL. Good advice from good people and I'm willing to bet a pressure test and replacing the N75 will solve his issues first and foremost or ar least be where to start. Sometimes the little 90° elbow that goes from the Y pipe to the N75 has a slit in it or comes away from the nipple. I would also look there and when replacing order that as well. To that point I would even make myself available if I can help in anyway. The thread took a little bit of a turn and that's what I was responding to. Again my main thing is to be there for the community on both sides as both sides have always been there for me since the beginning!

Cheers

Last edited by SamboTT@ByDesign; 02-13-2017 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:27 AM
fung0001
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
only to add i bought mine thru sam and while not knowing better at the time, i was originally tempted to go for the 74mm plenum requiring the 74tb. but in discussing and after considering my power level, and the type of driving i do, the 68 was going to be the better choice. bigger not always being better.

he also gave me what i am sure is the best price. the ipd plenum is not a $XXX.XX paperweight. again, it "works".
yes
i also read an article about this
68 mmTB fine for stock car not planning to upgrade turbos
Old 02-14-2017, 01:42 AM
fung0001
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

The dyno graph missing some parameters which are also important

l have installed an afe intake for a bmw and i really don't expect this after seeing the dyno result in afe's advertisement:

the car picks up higher rev faster under the same pedal force and when i release my foot, the engine keeps rolling for a longer time which are very cool for a safety speed driver like me

i hope the plenum will give the same benefit

Quick Reply: Opionions about the IPD intake plenums