Sponsored by:

Deal of the century???

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 10:28 AM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 159 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by T10Chris
Looking at that parts list, they are replacing the variocam timing actuators (PN# 99610530371). Not the variocam lift actuators (these would be PN# 99610530172). The variocam timing actuators are on top of the cylinder heads, the lift actuators are in the spark plug valley.

The fault specifically calls out valve lift...oh boy. doesn't seem like this shop knows what is going on. If you get it, good thing you have a 2nd 996TT to pull parts from to replace the issues this one may have

I'm not saying not to get it, just hope you know how to/like to work on these cars.

Agree with Chris!!! Strange evaluation going in different directions....Replacing both camshaft actuators for a valve lift problem ???? Valve lift can be troubleshoot by looking at electric signal to the actuators and can be test easily with a PST2 or PIWIS or Durametric, all this before taking the engine out!!!!
Old 02-12-2017, 11:14 AM
uwrasta
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

This may clear some things up or make things more confusing. The owner sent me this text last Wednesday. I didn't think much of it but might or might not explain.

This is a direct copy and past of the text message::

Update on car: next Tuesday delivery (I pick up tues pm) confirming I had the actuators replaced as well more as a preventive maintenance for the future. These things go eventually. So while the engine was out, I took care of it. Along with the major service done last year, this thing should be right and tight. More to follow as I hear new info
Old 02-12-2017, 11:40 AM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

The posting has been deleted by its author. UWRASTA did you bought it?
Old 02-12-2017, 11:46 AM
uwrasta
Banned

Originally Posted by jpflip
The posting has been deleted by its author. UWRASTA did you bought it?
Works not done yet. Supposed to be done Tuesday. This is another direct text quote. Maybe it's bs or???? But again I didn't think much of it. maybe others chime in about the actuator statement in the text:

Update: insurance inspector approved the lifters. Joe also told me the actuators could use replacing. Not a "need to have" but he said I should take care of it since the engine is out. I agreed to replace the two actuators as well. This way, the issue won't bite you down the road. They are looking to finish everything by Friday. so...in excited to get the car back. I'm honestly craving to drive it
Old 02-12-2017, 11:51 AM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 159 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by uwrasta
Yes I don't have much faith in this shop either. the dude had an extended warranty and could have taken it anywhere but he's been taking it to this shop cause it's close. so in theory if they replaced the wrong parts wouldn't the car just throw codes once it's was put back together??? Or would it run beautifully, pass a thorough ppi from cantrell, then once I purchased it start falling apart.
It will throw codes and go into limp mode, eventually. Maybe not right away. When I was having that issue and troubleshooting it, I could clear the codes with my durametric and it would run fine again, until it didn't; the bank 2 actuator was failing intermittently on my car. Which could be the next drive, or the next 30 miles, or the next week... Judging by the codes, I think the bank 1 lift actuator is bad on this car... It doesn't hurt to replace the timing actuators, which they are doing, since those are impossible to replace with engine in the car, but I just don't think they are changing the right ones out.

As far as identifying the problem, it will probably drive fine at low-mid rpm, and low-mid throttle position, and it may take a few WOT pulls and variocam change over points for it to trigger the faults. When it realizes the variocam actuator isn't creating the correct effects based on data the computer gets back from the sensors, it triggers the misfire faults and will go into limp mode until you turn the car off and back on again and it resets, when it will drive fine again.

It isn't going to fall apart if this is the issue.. It's a couple hundred bucks for a lift actuator and is no more difficult than changing spark plugs to replace it.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:54 AM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jpflip
Agree with Chris!!! Strange evaluation going in different directions....Replacing both camshaft actuators for a valve lift problem ???? Valve lift can be troubleshoot by looking at electric signal to the actuators and can be test easily with a PST2 or PIWIS or Durametric, all this before taking the engine out!!!!
Yeah, there are 4 total actuators and they are replacing the 2 that are not related to valve lift fault.. Odd...

My actuators would get signal with activations on durametric, they would change idle or could hear them click when car is off. Had to watch live data and compare to another functioning car to realize something was off.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:56 AM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

uwrasta- I live in Bellevue not far from Cantrell/work in Redmond, if you want a 2nd set of unbiased eyes on it I'd be happy to help you look over the car before or after PPI also.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:25 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,432 Posts

Im not going to be surprised if that misfire is still there after all of this work.

Those are the same codes and symptoms from variocam solenoid failure. Hope they tried that before tearing that deep into it. When I had that problem, I saw a few threads with things like this, even a couple of people having full engine rebuilds.... Simple fix....
That what I am thinking. It could also just be a cracked variocam solenoid bracket. It is a $20 part and two-three hours of labor to fix.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:32 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
That what I am thinking. It could also just be a cracked variocam solenoid bracket. It is a $20 part and two-three hours of labor to fix.
Yep. This was my first thought on my problem. Then when it wasn't cracked, that is when some of the threads say "oh if it has those faults and no cracked bracket you need a rebuild"

Hopefully the shop will realize the bracket is cracked if that is the case. Maybe they knew it all along and the car is put together and the shop owner is enjoying it for a bit

uwrasta if you buy the car and it needs a new bracket I have a couple of spares that are in good shape, just took them off of my car and put fresh brackets on when I changed my actuators.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:38 PM
uwrasta
Banned

uwrasta- I live in Bellevue not far from Cantrell/work in Redmond, if you want a 2nd set of unbiased eyes on it I'd be happy to help you look over the car before or after PPI also.
I would love to have you come over. I'll pm you my contact info!!!!
Old 02-12-2017, 04:26 PM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 114 Posts

So the brackets can be cracked and it causes a miss fire and some have said a stumble. But the solenoid does not leak oil? Just wondering because I have unresolved hickup/stumble and was wondering if the bracket/actuator could be the cause. How do you you check these, remove the heat shield and try to look in there? I have used the durametric to actuate them and I get a repeatable speed change.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:32 PM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Good thread on the subject here: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...-brackets.html

also here: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...eplacement.htm
Old 02-12-2017, 05:42 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

So if the shop is wrong and it's a $300 fix to make it right, why is anyone saying to run away from a $32k X50 6 speed with a clear title in otherwise good condition? Salvage title value on that car "as is" right now is easily $25k+.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:04 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,432 Posts

Originally Posted by Third-Reef
So the brackets can be cracked and it causes a miss fire and some have said a stumble. But the solenoid does not leak oil? Just wondering because I have unresolved hickup/stumble and was wondering if the bracket/actuator could be the cause. How do you you check these, remove the heat shield and try to look in there? I have used the durametric to actuate them and I get a repeatable speed change.
Yes, remove the heat shield. The bracket is right there In between the spark plugs. Two 10mm bolts hold in place.

If the brackets are fine there is a way to bench test the solenoids. I have not a bench test but I think some others here have. Maybe someone will chime in with that procedure.

Are you getting any codes?
Old 02-12-2017, 11:11 PM
jeanmarcboilard
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kcattorney
So if the shop is wrong and it's a $300 fix to make it right, why is anyone saying to run away from a $32k X50 6 speed with a clear title in otherwise good condition? Salvage title value on that car "as is" right now is easily $25k+.
Could be a $30, $300, or $3000 fix. The only way I'm betting $32k on an unsorted car like that is if Markski, Sam, or Kevin is doing the PPI. Might be a good deal for a professional DIYer but it's still a gamble.
I'm interested to hear the outcome on this one.

Quick Reply: Deal of the century???