Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant temperature, car running too cold (Tip)

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 09:12 PM
superboyg
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant temperature, car running too cold (Tip)

Since couple weeks ago, I found the water temperature is way too low, on highway, it never can raise up to the warmed up temperature(176F), it constantly moving around 131 to 149F, the longer you driving at highway, the temperature going lower, the outside temperature is around 68F. It could only raise to the normal temperature at the indoor carpark or traffic.

I did replaced the thermostat but it doesnt help, does anyone has the same experience and advice? Thanks

6speed mates advised someone did went thru this related to the value of the tip, hope so I could have more information.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:23 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,232 Likes on 1,441 Posts

Check out this thread. Are you sure the valve you replaced it working properly?

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...emp-p0116.html
Old 01-25-2017, 09:10 PM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Could your gauge or instrument cluster be shot?
Old 01-27-2017, 11:39 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by superboyg
Since couple weeks ago, I found the water temperature is way too low, on highway, it never can raise up to the warmed up temperature(176F), it constantly moving around 131 to 149F, the longer you driving at highway, the temperature going lower, the outside temperature is around 68F. It could only raise to the normal temperature at the indoor carpark or traffic.

I did replaced the thermostat but it doesnt help, does anyone has the same experience and advice? Thanks

6speed mates advised someone did went thru this related to the value of the tip, hope so I could have more information.
You have to be sure the temperature variation you are seeing is real and not a sensor acting up.

Ideally you need to view the engine coolant temperature in real time using an OBD2 code reader/data viewer and confirm that the temperature is right using an infra-red thermometer to verify the temperatures of the various areas of the block and water pump are about the same temperature.

If the temp gage and OBD2 data and the infra-red thermomstat numbers are in disagreement this suggests a temperature sensor problem.

If the numbers from the above sources are in agreement this suggests the cooling is real.

The thread posted by Carlos_Carrera then has some info that might be of help you. I'm not sure what valve is being referred to as the "heater valve" but in the case of the OP of the above referenced thread it was the cause of his car running cool.

Quick Reply: Coolant temperature, car running too cold (Tip)