Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plug Life with Tune

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 09:21 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I can understand changing out the old coils since the 996 coils would crack and short out. The 997 coils were redesigned with better potting material to keep them from cracking! Therefore change interval on the 997 coils should last a lot longer and not have to be changed out unless cracking is evident.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:48 PM
gophaster
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

These are my thoughts as well...a few months ago I replaced my coils (and plugs). They were the original 996 part # coils. They all looked very decent except for 1 that you could see the beginning of a small crack.

I still don't have a tune on the car and I plan to do the plugs at 10k intervals (which should last quite a while considering how few my opportunities to drive her have been lately) but I'm planning (hoping!) these revised 997 coils will last at least a couple plug changes so I will then just inspect the coils and change the plugs only, assuming she is still running smooth as silk

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
I can understand changing out the old coils since the 996 coils would crack and short out. The 997 coils were redesigned with better potting material to keep them from cracking! Therefore change interval on the 997 coils should last a lot longer and not have to be changed out unless cracking is evident.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:53 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,431 Posts

Originally Posted by fung0001
I understand that newer bmw set the working temp of engine a bit higher for better efficiency
still their plugs work fine for at least 50000km
Is that engine twin turbo charged? And did they increase boost pressure too?

We are not talking about a small increase in overall engine temperature for efficiency. We are are talking about a significant increase in boost pressure 25-30% and this a significant increase in combustion camber temperature from the ECU tune.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:27 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

In addition to heat, higher RPM decreases plug life; everytime a plug fires, some material is removed from the electroid. Cruising around at 4000 RPM versus 3000 RPM means more plug firings, and more wear.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:47 PM
napoleon1981
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Road King
Plugs should have been changed at the 30K service. 50K is a long time, perhaps your car wasn't driven very hard--mine wasn't as shown by the very gentle DME readout.
Yes I thought so too. The car came with some service records, and interestingly the 30k mile service was performed at Stevenson Porsche in Colorado. There was a note on the bill that plugs were not changed. When I went in there I could tell they had never been changed, because all the heatshields were still glued together and had never been moved.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:44 AM
fung0001
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Is that engine twin turbo charged? And did they increase boost pressure too?

We are not talking about a small increase in overall engine temperature for efficiency. We are are talking about a significant increase in boost pressure 25-30% and this a significant increase in combustion camber temperature from the ECU tune.
yes
you may be right
i have tuned my bmw for higher boost and never follow the manual for plugs change
Old 01-19-2017, 09:49 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,431 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
In addition to heat, higher RPM decreases plug life; everytime a plug fires, some material is removed from the electroid. Cruising around at 4000 RPM versus 3000 RPM means more plug firings, and more wear.
Why would getting an ECU tune cause the owner to drive around at 4k vs the usual 3k RPM?
Old 01-19-2017, 10:04 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

BMW N54/55 engines love their plugs too, I do plenty of them...any engine with a high cylinder load does...
Old 01-19-2017, 08:21 PM
Warehouse33.net
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 993GT
BMW N54/55 engines love their plugs too, I do plenty of them...any engine with a high cylinder load does...
Very true, I sell lots of the upgraded NGK plugs for the n54/n55 engines.

-Jason
Old 03-01-2017, 05:20 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
With my stock 2003 Turbo by observing the boost display on the dash even on the freeway driving "easy" the engine once in a while makes boost, 0.1 to 0.2 bar. A bit of throttle to pass and the boost can go up even a bit higher.

A tune under the same driving conditions might have the engine making boost earlier or making more boost.

Also, a tune that delivers more HP/torque means the engine is making more heat and heat is a prime factor in plug life.

Also, the DME with its stock "tune" is intended to run the engine at just short of the onset of detonation. With a tune the engine could spend more time at this point and this works to shorten plug life.
Mine used to boost too on a freeway cruise when stock. But one of the first things I noticed about a 93 Octane tune and 100-cell catted exhaust was that my car no longer got into that .1,.2 kind of mild boost on the commute to work at all, and would now only start to boost some 7-10 MPH higher up the dial. The exhaust probably helped a little, but I mostly put it down to the tune delivering more torque at the same revs (as you touched on). She now had enough extra power to meet the load put on her at 70 odd mph without needing to spool up her turbos to help.

More combustion heat is partly addressed by running a cooler grade of plug of course, but, yes, as you say, those higher combustion temperatures still age the plugs faster and more frequent replacement is recommended for tuned cars. I left replacing the cooler ones that came with her upgrade until I could feel some fall off in performance, which happened recently around 20,000 miles later. So they'll get done before I track her again. No major symptoms but she just started to feel a bit 'boggy' and off-color/slightly hesitant at lowish revs. Will aim to do them every 10,000 miles I think.

How close a tuner chooses to run to the detonation point is pretty much down to the tuners own taste and risk appetite I think. Leaner is a bit faster but also less safe. One reason I chose Kevin (and I know there are others) for mine is that he runs demonstrably (one of the beauties of his datalogger) safe tunes. As I understood it, that meant basically maintaining the factory knock control, while tuning for our local 93 octane fuel - as directly measured in my own car. And likely with some amount of sacrificial fueling towards the limit of her expanded performance envelope to proactively cool the chambers. Meaning that knock control doesn't need to kick in as often or as hard. Which is good as when I'm right foot flat I'd rather she cool herself first with a little extra fuel than by having more and more timing pulled at the cost of power.

Hopefully someone here can confirm or deny my understanding though, as I'm no tuner and there are a few variables at play...

Last edited by 996tnz; 03-01-2017 at 06:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Plug Life with Tune