Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Thanks Carlo!
Old 01-16-2017, 03:30 AM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Porsche doesn't make brake pads. What you are buying are Textar or Pagid made pads in a box that says Porsche on it with Porsche tax added on. Save yourself some money and buy OEM spec pads in a Textar or Pagid box. If you want better than OEM pick up some PFC 11 pads from ApexPerformance.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/..._pg1.htm#item2

As for rotors I use ATE from Pelican Parts. They are the least expensive but they have held up on track for me as well if not better than Zimmerman or Sebro.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...pg4.htm#item16
Textar and Pagid might be OEM but they are not OE spec. Porsche pads are not just Textar/Pagid spec with Porsche tax added. They are better spec and perform better.

I wish people would stop perpetuating the myth that OEM = OE spec. It's well documented that Porsche will not allow its suppliers to sell parts to OE spec.

(usually the OEM can get away with selling superceded spec parts as well as reject parts)

For example, the Porsche brake rotors for a 944 S2 are visibly and measurably different to the "OEM" parts from Zimmermann.
The cooling fins are a different design and better made. The Porsche rotors are balanced using pressed steel inserts which don't create hotspots on the rotor, unlike Zimmermann's technique of machining the OD. And it looks as though they use a better material/heat treatment because the Porsche rotors last 50% longer than the Zimmermann...

Engine bearings from Porsche are tighter tolerance than from Glyco, the OEM. And does anyone believe that N-spec tires are no different?
</rant>

Cheers,
Mike
Old 01-16-2017, 10:26 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,432 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey_audiogeek
Textar and Pagid might be OEM but they are not OE spec. Porsche pads are not just Textar/Pagid spec with Porsche tax added. They are better spec and perform better.

I wish people would stop perpetuating the myth that OEM = OE spec. It's well documented that Porsche will not allow its suppliers to sell parts to OE spec.

(usually the OEM can get away with selling superceded spec parts as well as reject parts)

For example, the Porsche brake rotors for a 944 S2 are visibly and measurably different to the "OEM" parts from Zimmermann.
The cooling fins are a different design and better made. The Porsche rotors are balanced using pressed steel inserts which don't create hotspots on the rotor, unlike Zimmermann's technique of machining the OD. And it looks as though they use a better material/heat treatment because the Porsche rotors last 50% longer than the Zimmermann...

Engine bearings from Porsche are tighter tolerance than from Glyco, the OEM. And does anyone believe that N-spec tires are no different?
</rant>

Cheers,
Mike
Textar OEM pads are OE spec. Pagid also makes OE spec pads. There is no difference between them and the pads that come in a Porsche box. After a period of time German law says OE suppliers can sell OE spec products directly to the general public. We are beyond the forbidden direct sale period with the 996 generation.

N-spec tires are different than none N-spec but brake pad OE compounds are the same. You do not even have to take my word for it. Go to a Porsche dealer and buy pads. Then check the manufacturer and part number on the pads then cross reference it to aftermarket. You will find the exact same spec pads in the aftermarket. I know because I have done it.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:13 PM
RennPart
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 271 Likes on 133 Posts

We have the Sebro slotted rotors for 996T with free shipping in the US

https://rennpart.com/carrera/carrera...pgrades-track/

Pagid pads are in stock as well, and pre-bedded in at no extra cost, also with free shipping, as well as stock "Textar" pads at much lower cost then OE.

https://rennpart.com/carrera/carrera...y-replacement/

rennpart.com | Phone: 336-793-2134 |Email: ace@rennpart.com

Instagram | Facebook
Old 01-18-2017, 05:31 PM
TeCKis300
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brig993
Just to update after along conversation with Kevin @ UMW I'm going with Porsche 997tt 350mm rotors all around with 12mm caliper spacers. Thanks for all the great input!
Sure does seem to be a no brainer replacement/upgrade path to take.

Which rotor and spacer kit did you wind up with?
Old 01-18-2017, 07:27 PM
Brig993
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts

Kevin recommended Girodisc 12mm spacers, longer Porsche 997tt caliper bolts and Porsche 997tt rotors from the source with the best price. I called girodisc directly for the spacers.

Originally Posted by TeCKis300
Sure does seem to be a no brainer replacement/upgrade path to take.

Which rotor and spacer kit did you wind up with?
Old 01-18-2017, 08:52 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Brig993
Kevin recommended Girodisc 12mm spacers, longer Porsche 997tt caliper bolts and Porsche 997tt rotors from the source with the best price. I called girodisc directly for the spacers.
Consider doing studs on the uprights if you plan on removing the calipers again.
Threads are aluminum and who last put the bolts in and how many times on/off the calipers have had may get you familiar with Time-sert.
Studs are cheap if you subtract the cost of new bolts.
Confirm torque of ~63 ft. lb
Old 01-20-2017, 11:57 PM
KC_Michael
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warning--minispare won't fit over 350mm rotors

I have Girodisc 350mm rotors on my 996TT. I like them a lot but keep in mind the spare tire won't fit over these. If you're planning a cross country road trip you might want to keep this in mind.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:12 AM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 114 Posts

I have 350mm Brembo GT kit on my 996 and realized the spare won't fit. I keep it there as it holds up the funk floor and is rumoured to increase frontal impact safety. I was told that the mini-spare from a PCCB equipt car will fit. I have looked and cannot find one so far.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:56 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Third-Reef
I have 350mm Brembo GT kit on my 996 and realized the spare won't fit. I keep it there as it holds up the funk floor and is rumoured to increase frontal impact safety. I was told that the mini-spare from a PCCB equipt car will fit. I have looked and cannot find one so far.
Fix a flat, AAA and a cell phone.
Weighs less too.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:41 PM
vandersmith
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm selling two sets of complete sets of rotors and pads here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale...rage-sale.html
Old 01-23-2017, 11:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 52 Posts

I went with the Sebro 350mm 997 TT rotors front and rear, and 12mm caliper spacers. I was planning to refinish the calipers on my car and figured I would refresh the rotors at the same time. I was wanting to upgrade to a large rotor vs stock 996 TT 330mm, and the Girodisc seemed nice, but kind of overkill for me.

I read a lot of good feedback about the Sebro rotors. They are made in Germany and seem to be a worthy replacement. Less $ than OE Porsche too. I think I paid around $750 shipped for a full set of the 350mm Sebro's. Since I was planning to replace the stock discs anyway, upgrading to a larger rotor at the same time seemed like a no brainer.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:10 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

GiroDiscs / Pagid / PFC - help offered, send a PM or e-mail

Quick Reply: Which brake rotors to install?