Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Article --- 996 Turbo , six figures on horizon?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 10:06 PM
docboy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 993GT
I'm hoping for a bargain basement 996tt next winter...who care's what they're worth, buy and enjoy...996 is the hidden secret...997 is 'bland' to drive, 993 are old-school in construction( work on them and see) and 'slow'....been around and worked on 911's since knee-high....
996's are the better e39's ///
Agreed, 996 is a blast to drive. Though the 997 is a great car in its own right, I couldn't feel the road with it. Surprisingly though, I thought the 991 has more soul than the 997 IMHO. Go figure...

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
no surprise there. when i had a 964 when the 993's released in 95 i had to see every 993 and try not to sideways glance at stoplights longingly for at least a year, until i said "that's it" and swapped into a fresh 96 993. the stock 964 was sluggish and fugly. btw them, there was little to no comparison even though both 911's. but then i find each iteration is an "improvement", and as it should be. ( at least as long as MT's exist lol )

the only one i ever questioned was the 996 variant, as much as i enjoy the 996tt.

but to my point, now that the 991 911's are turbo'd i've got my eye on one as a dd. though i'll still keep my boulder dodger

but in my book, 964 is to 993, as 996 is to 997. ad infinitum.
991 turbos are approaching $200k! Part of the reason, IMHO, that used Porsche turbos hold their values so well. Porsche keeps jacking up the price on their new 911s, which the market continues to bear, which in effect "raises" the price on the older 911s, as used ones are a relative bargain to the new ones.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:20 PM
gophaster
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

First of the 996TT at Mecum Kissimmee rolled on the block today. Hammered at $75,000 which I believe translates to $82,500 with buyer fees.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0117-27...1-turbo-coupe/

Old 01-12-2017, 11:22 PM
vogz
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by gophaster
First of the 996TT at Mecum Kissimmee rolled on the block today. Hammered at $75,000 which I believe translates to $82,500 with buyer fees.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0117-27...1-turbo-coupe/
Interesting that is says factory Aero kit but the front lip (not paint matched like it is on a real Aero kit car) and the GT2 wing are not part of the factory aero kit.

Description makes no mention of the aftermarket wheels or suspension either. Plus claims the car has sequential turbos...

Still after all of that it sells for $75K plus fees! It is a beautiful 996 Turbo with super low miles, but it's also modified.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:34 PM
gophaster
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My thoughts exactly, makes the price even more impressive. I think it could have done even better stock.

Just thinking out loud but im guessing the new owner will return the car to stock.

Originally Posted by vogz
Interesting that is says factory Aero kit but the front lip (not paint matched like it is on a real Aero kit car) and the GT2 wing are not part of the factory aero kit.

Description makes no mention of the aftermarket wheels or suspension either. Plus claims the car has sequential turbos...

Still after all of that it sells for $75K plus fees! It is a beautiful 996 Turbo with super low miles, but it's also modified.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:29 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by docboy
Agreed, 996 is a blast to drive. Though the 997 is a great car in its own right, I couldn't feel the road with it. Surprisingly though, I thought the 991 has more soul than the 997 IMHO. Go figure...

991 turbos are approaching $200k! Part of the reason, IMHO, that used Porsche turbos hold their values so well. Porsche keeps jacking up the price on their new 911s, which the market continues to bear, which in effect "raises" the price on the older 911s, as used ones are a relative bargain to the new ones.
i thought the price to entry was merely adjusted for inflation lol...

more "soul" = PSE
Old 01-15-2017, 08:09 PM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gophaster
My thoughts exactly, makes the price even more impressive. I think it could have done even better stock.

Just thinking out loud but im guessing the new owner will return the car to stock.
I dunno about that. I'm thinking it's probably someone that doesn't really know the 996TT market. After fees, he's approaching high mile 996 GT2 territory. And, I'm pretty sure anyone who's looking at these with investment potential would see and understand a high mile GT2 is going to be much more sought after than even an X50 Aero Package Turbo, which I'm not quite sure this car even started out as. Unless the car is a real Aero Package car and also came with the proper Aero bits, I'd say the car went for WAY over value, even with low miles. That being said, perhaps the buyer just loves 996TT's and wanted one that was near new. Be really interesting if they buyer chimed in. That all being said, who'd have thought we'd see 993TT's sell for 2-3 times their original sticker.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:15 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,227 Likes on 1,437 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
I dunno about that. I'm thinking it's probably someone that doesn't really know the 996TT market. After fees, he's approaching high mile 996 GT2 territory. And, I'm pretty sure anyone who's looking at these with investment potential would see and understand a high mile GT2 is going to be much more sought after than even an X50 Aero Package Turbo, which I'm not quite sure this car even started out as. Unless the car is a real Aero Package car and also came with the proper Aero bits, I'd say the car went for WAY over value, even with low miles. That being said, perhaps the buyer just loves 996TT's and wanted one that was near new. Be really interesting if they buyer chimed in. That all being said, who'd have thought we'd see 993TT's sell for 2-3 times their original sticker.
He does know the market. It is a #1 condition car.

https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuati...urbo?id=170524

This isn't a high milage car. It is a very low milage car. Apples and oranges.

With collector cars condition is everything. I also think even high milage GT2s will now be going for more.

https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuati...orsche-911-GT2

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 01-15-2017 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:50 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
He does know the market. It is a #1 condition car.

https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuati...urbo?id=170524

This isn't a high milage car. It is a very low milage car. Apples and oranges.

With collector cars condition is everything. I also think even high milage GT2s will now be going for more.

https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuati...orsche-911-GT2
Carlo, just curious, do you know the buyer? I have no doubt it's a beautiful car and in amazing overall condition with it's low miles. If you do know the new owner, do you know if they bought it as an investment/garage/museum/collection piece or if they plan on putting miles on it? It most certainly as it sits, is not a #1 condition car. #1 condition car suggests that it is concours ready. If this car was entered into a concours it would do poorly. Concours cars adorn original to the cardex equipment as it left the factory. This car was stated to have the aero package. The car pictured is NOT wearing the aero package goods that it would have left the factory. The GT2 decklid while is often looked at as an upgrade, is not how the car left the factory, take points off. The front chin spoiler is also not the same as the aero package, take more points off. The wheels are not stock Turbo Twists either, take more points off. That's not even taking into account any other modifications that have been made to the car if it has any. That's just based off of the one picture that I can see. This is for sure a GORGEOUS low mile example of a 2003 Turbo w/X50 car, but according to concours scores, this would not be a #1 condition car, this would be a #2. That all being said, if this car comes with the correct parts to put it back to original, aero package rear decklid and wing along with the front painted chin spoiler as well as the original Turbo Twists, then yeah it probably could be a #1 condition car. I still think it went for too much. But a car is worth whatever someone is willing to pay and honestly, some people are willing to knowingly overpay, so long as they're getting exactly what they're looking for and it checks all the boxes. I hope the new owner enjoys it, it truly is a beautiful car.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:55 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,227 Likes on 1,437 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
Carlo, just curious, do you know the buyer? I have no doubt it's a beautiful car and in amazing overall condition with it's low miles. If you do know the new owner, do you know if they bought it as an investment/garage/museum/collection piece or if they plan on putting miles on it? It most certainly as it sits, is not a #1 condition car. #1 condition car suggests that it is concours ready. If this car was entered into a concours it would do poorly. Concours cars adorn original to the cardex equipment as it left the factory. This car was stated to have the aero package. The car pictured is NOT wearing the aero package goods that it would have left the factory. The GT2 decklid while is often looked at as an upgrade, is not how the car left the factory, take points off. The front chin spoiler is also not the same as the aero package, take more points off. The wheels are not stock Turbo Twists either, take more points off. That's not even taking into account any other modifications that have been made to the car if it has any. That's just based off of the one picture that I can see. This is for sure a GORGEOUS low mile example of a 2003 Turbo w/X50 car, but according to concours scores, this would not be a #1 condition car, this would be a #2. That all being said, if this car comes with the correct parts to put it back to original, aero package rear decklid and wing along with the front painted chin spoiler as well as the original Turbo Twists, then yeah it probably could be a #1 condition car. I still think it went for too much. But a car is worth whatever someone is willing to pay and honestly, some people are willing to knowingly overpay, so long as they're getting exactly what they're looking for and it checks all the boxes. I hope the new owner enjoys it, it truly is a beautiful car.
I do not know the owner. The buyer paid slightly more than Hagerty 's guide. That is what I meant by saying he knew the market.

You are correct there are are some none OEM parts on the car but from what I can see they are all bolt on and bolt off so easily corrected.

The way I see it there are two types of 996TTs out there. Super low milage collector cars that are worth a premium price and everything else that are still just used cars. I consider any X50 or S 996TT with under 20k miles to be now a collectible and worth the premium price. A base model low milage TT would/could also be collect in a rare color combo.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:29 AM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 255 Posts

Higher prices are not all they're cracked up to be....unless you're ready to sell.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:32 PM
TheBucketOfTruth
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 149 Posts

Wouldn't 997.1 Turbo prices have to go up as well? I know we all like our cars but most people are going to want a newer one all else equal. Six figures is a fun idea but then what's a 997.2 GT3 going to cost if a 996TT is six figures?
Old 01-22-2017, 10:29 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBucketOfTruth
Wouldn't 997.1 Turbo prices have to go up as well? I know we all like our cars but most people are going to want a newer one all else equal. Six figures is a fun idea but then what's a 997.2 GT3 going to cost if a 996TT is six figures?
Porsche prices have never been linear based on the year. Enthusiasts don't necessarily want the newest. Check early 70's prices vs late 70's as an example. Both are air cooled but the early ones go for more. It depends on production quantities and what's the "darling" of the period. I don't think anyone can really pick what the market will desire in 10 years. Today it's air cooled. In 30 years maybe it's the 996 or 997 body style. No one really knows despite the all-knowing posts you see. Also any comparisons need to be made once they've fully depreciated and started back up. 997.2 is still a relatively new model. IMO.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:05 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBucketOfTruth
but then what's a 997.2 GT3 going to cost if a 996TT is six figures?
Onefifty. Unless it has scrotch harnesses and all sorts of nosebleed track mods, in which case, a lot less.

Quick Reply: Another Article --- 996 Turbo , six figures on horizon?