Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Love this car, but asking BIG $$, what do you guys think?

Old 01-06-2017, 05:56 PM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven954
As far as price, seems like the coupes go for more $$ than the cabs, quite a bit actually on the 996TT'S
That seems to be the case, which is interesting an a bit counter intuitive.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:03 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by Road King
That seems to be the case, which is interesting an a bit counter intuitive.

Porsche coupes almost always go for more than convertibles, probably cause of the racing heritage and cleaner lines.

btw in the ad he spelled Mezger wrong
Old 01-08-2017, 02:17 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
I have enormous respect for your knowledge and technical understanding of these cars, but I can't fathom why you keep quoting those crude mass market mainstream sources for cars that are anything but. There is so much subtlety in the pricing of a 996tt as you very well know. Do you truly believe those numbers have any informational value whatsoever.
Not sure how you can be so sure the NADA/KBB numbers are not valid. Where do the Porsche 996 Turbo numbers come from these sites provide?

Do 996 Turbo numbers come in via some other way that makes the numbers suspect compared to say Toyota sales numbers?

I have no other source of prices unless I choose to get them from posts such as have shown up in this thread. You'll have to forgive me if I don't put much faith in those prices.

Subtley in pricing 996 Turbos? Come on, to the majority of sellers it is just a used car. (Ignoring the owner who bought into the its an investment sales pitch and holds the car more dear than his first born.)

The rule for used cars is buy low sell high. The Turbo is just a used car. My info is the car is worth somewhere between its trade in/whole sale price and whatever the seller can get above that. The seller might try to use its a classic, or its going to appreciate, to get a buyer to part with his money and pay the asking price for the car but that is not a ploy I'd want fall prey too.

Low miles "pristine" (I guess the car fits this description) 996 Turbos are rather rare, I grant you. And a seller is going to use this to help him sell the car for as much money as he can.

But $75K?

Well, if he can get it. He just wouldn't get it from me. And if I were serious about the car I'd ignore the asking price -- price is not fact only an opinion -- and make an offer based on what I thought the car was worth, what it ought to sell for, and this would be based in part on the NADA/KBB numbers along with a search of what other 996 Turbos (and 997 Turbos, or even newer but non-Turbo 911's) were out there. I mean at $75K that can one a lot of car but it doesn't necessarily have to be a 996 Turbo.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:25 PM
Hosewater2
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Owners/sellers always overvalue their cars, this is almost a universal truth is it not? There is nothing wrong with that either.

The vast majority of transactions, even involving 996tts, occur between parties who have never even heard of RL, let alone posted here.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:14 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It figures, I have been looking for the right one in these specific ext/int colors, lol.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:14 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven954
I found this comparable, asking $55k

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-Porsche...m=371831269136
Please do your due dilligence when dealing with Victory.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:38 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,429 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Not sure how you can be so sure the NADA/KBB numbers are not valid. Where do the Porsche 996 Turbo numbers come from these sites provide?

Do 996 Turbo numbers come in via some other way that makes the numbers suspect compared to say Toyota sales numbers?

I have no other source of prices unless I choose to get them from posts such as have shown up in this thread. You'll have to forgive me if I don't put much faith in those prices.

Subtley in pricing 996 Turbos? Come on, to the majority of sellers it is just a used car. (Ignoring the owner who bought into the its an investment sales pitch and holds the car more dear than his first born.)

The rule for used cars is buy low sell high. The Turbo is just a used car. My info is the car is worth somewhere between its trade in/whole sale price and whatever the seller can get above that. The seller might try to use its a classic, or its going to appreciate, to get a buyer to part with his money and pay the asking price for the car but that is not a ploy I'd want fall prey too.

Low miles "pristine" (I guess the car fits this description) 996 Turbos are rather rare, I grant you. And a seller is going to use this to help him sell the car for as much money as he can.

But $75K?

Well, if he can get it. He just wouldn't get it from me. And if I were serious about the car I'd ignore the asking price -- price is not fact only an opinion -- and make an offer based on what I thought the car was worth, what it ought to sell for, and this would be based in part on the NADA/KBB numbers along with a search of what other 996 Turbos (and 997 Turbos, or even newer but non-Turbo 911's) were out there. I mean at $75K that can one a lot of car but it doesn't necessarily have to be a 996 Turbo.
KBB and NADA do not have a clue about collector cars. 966TTs are now collector cars.

Hagerty has very accurate valuations based on hundreds of actual sale prices.

They have this 996TT in #1 condition valued at $68k.

https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuati...urbo?id=170524

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 01-08-2017 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:43 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Subtley in pricing 996 Turbos? Come on, to the majority of sellers it is just a used car.
Let's agree to disagree, I guess. Just to make an example: A silver 2004 toyota and a white toyota are gonna be the exact same mom-and-pops used car at the same four-digit price.

A silver on black 996tt, a white on tan one and a PTS (like Irish green or Minerva Blue) one are going to be priced many thousands of dollars away from each other, other things being equal.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:42 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
KBB and NADA do not have a clue about collector cars. 966TTs are now collector cars.

Hagerty has very accurate valuations based on hundreds of actual sale prices.

They have this 996TT in #1 condition valued at $68k.

https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuati...urbo?id=170524
The 996 Turbo is now a collector car? That's got to be a record in obtaining collector car status.

I'm sorry but putting "collector car" tag on these cars is just one of the any number of techniques sellers use to justify a high sales price.

As the supply of older air-cooled cars -- some with big prices (993 Turbos for instance) -- get smaller and smaller the focus of sellers of used cars switches to the next generation of cars.

As a buyer I would reject the collector car label unless the Turbo had obtained true collector car status. It hasn't. And likely it won't for a long time if ever.

'course, as a 996 Turbo seller (when/if I become one) I'd probably not attempt to dissuade a potential buyer if he showed up thinking the car was a collector car. However, I would not have the chutzpah to label my car a collector car in an ad though.

If you or any others truly believe the 996 Turbo is a collector's car now's the time to stock up. Snag that $75K car. It is a bargain for a collector car. I mean who quibbles over a few thousand bucks when considering buying a Rembrandt. Grab that car in the Hagerty ad and any more you can find.

The time to stock up is at the outset of something obtaining collector status then hold on to the item for a few years and flip it for a nice profit. If you can.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:59 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The 996 Turbo is now a collector car? That's got to be a record in obtaining collector car status.

I'm sorry but putting "collector car" tag on these cars is just one of the any number of techniques sellers use to justify a high sales price.

As the supply of older air-cooled cars -- some with big prices (993 Turbos for instance) -- get smaller and smaller the focus of sellers of used cars switches to the next generation of cars.

As a buyer I would reject the collector car label unless the Turbo had obtained true collector car status. It hasn't. And likely it won't for a long time if ever.

'course, as a 996 Turbo seller (when/if I become one) I'd probably not attempt to dissuade a potential buyer if he showed up thinking the car was a collector car. However, I would not have the chutzpah to label my car a collector car in an ad though.

If you or any others truly believe the 996 Turbo is a collector's car now's the time to stock up. Snag that $75K car. It is a bargain for a collector car. I mean who quibbles over a few thousand bucks when considering buying a Rembrandt. Grab that car in the Hagerty ad and any more you can find.

The time to stock up is at the outset of something obtaining collector status then hold on to the item for a few years and flip it for a nice profit. If you can.
If Hagerty rates it as a collector car than it is a collector car. Age really has nothing to do with and Hagerty knows more about this stuff than almost anyone because that is their business. Are you in the collector business?

As yes this $75k car might be considered a bargain in a few years. Just like 993 Turbo were a decade or so ago.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:04 PM
gophaster
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We have seen history repeat itself so many times. Cars get thrown to the wind when newer & "better" models come out. Sometimes the newer models are simply better in every way and the old ones have nothing to offer but headaches and repair bills so prices just keep going down until they hit a bottom.

But other times cars have something special that is no longer available to buy new regardless of budget. Think air cooled cars for example or just throwing it out there "Mezger" engined water cooled cars. Since you can no longer buy a new car with these features you pretty much have to look at what's out there and rational thought doesn't always apply to situations like these. Year/Mileage isn't enough to calculate value any more, how about maintenance records, what about number of owners, accident history, originality, etc.. Once this happens prices no longer keep dropping and dropping every year but since no new ones are coming on line any longer, the inventory of nice/clean/history/maintained (whatever assets you look for in a car like this) keep on depleting due to lack of maintenance, wrecks, etc. now you have a different market for that particular car. Just my .02
Old 01-10-2017, 05:56 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Try and find a nice example of a 996TT for sale anywhere close to KBB or NADA prices. Enough said, IMHO.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:04 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by manimal
Try and find a nice example of a 996TT for sale anywhere close to KBB or NADA prices. Enough said, IMHO.
Exactly, condition is everything now. If you own a low milage 996TT unicorn in a rare and desirable color combo it worth the $$$$$$$$$.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:44 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Buy a clean 996tt you like in a color you like, with a stick for a reasonable price, let's say $45k.
Maintain it, drive it, and keep it for 5+ years. You'll do fine enough to have all this conjecture be as meaningless as the paper it was printed on.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:20 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I remember buying my 96 993tt for 68k, then selling it for 75k a yr later, I thought I did good....;(
I hope he gets 75 for it, 996tt's have been undervalued for years.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Love this car, but asking BIG $$, what do you guys think?