Sponsored by:

996 failed turbo-looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 05:51 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulpellegrin
Guys, I had the opportunity to spaak to Mike at Southeast Power Systems Tampa FL location. They are a BorgWarner distributor. He is very knowledgeable on BW Turbos. They are also a services of turbos, meaning they can reap air/rebuild.

Here is what I learned; He stated that BW does not have two production groupings, one for Porsche and one for "aftermarket". The the BW's if ordered based upon the speicific part number on the Turbo in the car, then I'd get an exact match regardless to having Porsche or bw. In fact it would very likely have the same badging.
well, of COURSE they don't lol. anyone with a lick of sense would surmise that!

but the important thing is you got the straight dope right from the horsepowers mouth, so to speak. .and good for you! now you can again, drive with confidence.

it's been an interesting (non) debate.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:31 PM
TimsTurbos
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The stock turbocharger is a K16 Borg Warner. The only aftermarket ones for that car are some alpha kits with garret chra. And usually a Tial turbine and compressor cover.
The Stock turbos can be rebuilt. We usually do a set for around XXX. We do alot of them for other Porsche shops. They are built with all the heavy duty parts and VSR balanced. We can also Upgrade them to GT2 specs or further. But Yes, The OEM and only turbo for the 996 is a Borg Warner. The beginning of the part number tells yous the frame size.
Example 5316 970 6727.. In the 5316 the 16 stand for a K16 turbo. Let me know if we can help out.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:19 PM
Paulpellegrin
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is all great stuff, so much so, I feel I should be paying you all for all my new education. Thank you all so much.

Quick Reply: 996 failed turbo-looking for advice