Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tracking 996 Market - Best Car for your Money Analysis

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 01:21 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

I tend to believe that you aren't just buying the car, you're buying the prior owner. I like to meet the seller and get a feel for them - it almost never steers me wrong. Hard to do thru a dealership, but not impossible.

Buying a Porsche for me was a lifelong emotional thing - the passion was more important than the data. I guess everyone has their own approach to finding their dream - the important thing is to buy exactly what you want, even if it costs a little bit more. Why settle on something that should be so enjoyable? The delta in price spread out over years, miles, and grins will be negligible anyway.

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-2016, 01:29 PM
HardHitter
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by leftlane
I tend to believe that you aren't just buying the car, you're buying the prior owner. I like to meet the seller and get a feel for them - it almost never steers me wrong. Hard to do thru a dealership, but not impossible.

Buying a Porsche for me was a lifelong emotional thing - the passion was more important than the data. I guess everyone has their own approach to finding their dream - the important thing is to buy exactly what you want, even if it costs a little bit more. Why settle on something that should be so enjoyable? The delta in price spread out over years, miles, and grins will be negligible anyway.

Merry Christmas!
Yes, this is the problem. If you followed this, then a 997 will be purchased

The life long argument, 996 or 997 haha.

Happy Holiday's all!
Old 12-24-2016, 01:52 PM
docboy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dock
I personally don't think that buying a 996 Turbo is a very analytical "forumula based" process based on something like cost/mile (or cost per anything). A large number of Corvette owners I've conversed with use objective data as the basis for their Vette buying decision. They have many times opined "Why would anyone pay substantially more for a 996 Turbo when it's 0-60 and quarter mile times aren't as good as a ZO6?". They use objective stopwatch data (straight line acceleration and track times), as their "formula" for deciding what sports car to buy. Obviously it's their choice to make, but I would always tell them that for some people there is a substantial amount of subjectiveness involved with deciding what sports car to buy.
I agree.

IMHO a sports is an emotional purchase, there's nothing analytical or logical about it.

If 0-60 were all that's important, then I would have gotten a souped up WRX. Then again, I never aspired to own a WRX and a WRX is no 911 (not that there's anything wrong with the Subie).

OP, just a suggestion, now that you have this spreadsheet, don't use it anymore. One can never justify a sports car, it's a total want and life long bucket list for many.

If you have an idea on what you want, trust your head and guts. Interview the owner, check out the car, post here on RL for any questions you have... My 2 cents. GL!
Old 12-25-2016, 10:30 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 249 Posts

Buy the newest example with the lowest miles in the color your wife likes. Done.
Old 12-25-2016, 10:36 PM
Jferrante
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts

This approach doesn't seem too logical...when I buy a sports car (just bought a viper, have bought 2 996tt's, M3's M5's etc.) i tell myself I will pay X $'s for a car and then I go out and find the best car for that money....only then will I pay more for a car if my budget doesn't work for a few months or if I can get a "rarer" or more desirable edition that will be easier to sell as i generally don't keep them for long....try this approach
Old 12-25-2016, 10:46 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Beware that data gathered during the slow season (buyers' market) will be off somewhat during the selling season (which will start in about 2 months right when you are ready to buy).

Last edited by FRUNKenstein; 12-26-2016 at 08:33 PM.
Old 12-26-2016, 11:35 AM
HardHitter
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cbracerx
Buy the newest example with the lowest miles in the color your wife likes. Done.
Old 12-26-2016, 04:14 PM
Shadetree930
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I saw a picture of a car for sale.

It called to me.

I bought it.

I never looked back.

Or I could spend the next two years looking for a "great deal".
Old 12-26-2016, 05:48 PM
Warehouse33.net
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadetree930

It called to me.

I bought it.

I never looked back.

+996tt

-Jason
Old 12-26-2016, 07:58 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

It called to me.

I bought it.

I never looked back.

Real similar process here.
After a month of looking at them, one 150 miles away in a color I like was for sale. Negotiated price, had local P dealer do PPI and bought it when PPI came back recommending tires and hood shocks.

Drove it for almost a year, then had to rebuild transmission despite lots of records and service book all stamped right too.

No spreadsheet could have helped me understand I was buying a car that would need transmission rebuilt the first winter I owned it, the amount of additional $ I would spend on optional mods/maintenance, or how much fun the car is.

The list may prove helpful to you or others, or at least help you justify whatever choice you make.
VIN column?
Maintenance columns for all the items that may need service/replacement after 15 years would be great too, those items can easily add up to more than any of the other columns.
Old 12-26-2016, 11:58 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Check out bring a trailer prices, there have been a few up for auction.
Old 12-27-2016, 03:50 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

It called to me.

I bought it.

I never looked back.
That's the way to do it.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:36 PM
docboy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 911mhawk
Real similar process here.
After a month of looking at them, one 150 miles away in a color I like was for sale. Negotiated price, had local P dealer do PPI and bought it when PPI came back recommending tires and hood shocks.

Drove it for almost a year, then had to rebuild transmission despite lots of records and service book all stamped right too.

No spreadsheet could have helped me understand I was buying a car that would need transmission rebuilt the first winter I owned it, the amount of additional $ I would spend on optional mods/maintenance, or how much fun the car is.

The list may prove helpful to you or others, or at least help you justify whatever choice you make.
VIN column?
Maintenance columns for all the items that may need service/replacement after 15 years would be great too, those items can easily add up to more than any of the other columns.
FWIW I think PPI is completely over rated. Unless something is drastically wrong, most of the stuff wrong with a vehicle can be caught by the naked eye, photos, and a test drive.

My PPI was useless. Shop I had PPI done at had immediately recommend the vehicle I had bought replace the front struts ASAP, otherwise risk driving failure. Scared me to hell initially, almost didn't buy the car b/c of it, but I passed on the fix. 1 year later, car is still fine and wheels haven't fallen off! Then again, very shortly after I bought the car, my spoiler rams started to leak (which the shop did not catch)... which now I'm trying to deal with.

If you like the specs of the car and like the way it drives, go for it!
Old 12-27-2016, 07:14 PM
kmagnuss
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree with docboy... ppi is a waste of time unless you are completely useless with a wrench and plan to bring it to the dealer for blinker fluid.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:43 PM
napoleon1981
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by docboy
FWIW I think PPI is completely over rated. Unless something is drastically wrong, most of the stuff wrong with a vehicle can be caught by the naked eye, photos, and a test drive.

My PPI was useless. Shop I had PPI done at had immediately recommend the vehicle I had bought replace the front struts ASAP, otherwise risk driving failure. Scared me to hell initially, almost didn't buy the car b/c of it, but I passed on the fix. 1 year later, car is still fine and wheels haven't fallen off! Then again, very shortly after I bought the car, my spoiler rams started to leak (which the shop did not catch)... which now I'm trying to deal with.

If you like the specs of the car and like the way it drives, go for it!
Amen. I bought mine without and it has been fine. I knew it needed a couple of little things that I identified myself and the cost saved by not doing the PPI covered all the parts.

I think PPI's are generally only useful if there is questions about the car and if you are not willing/able to wrench on these cars yourself.

Quick Reply: Tracking 996 Market - Best Car for your Money Analysis