Fog lights SUCK!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 04:42 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by autobonrun
Ever pass a deer standing on the side of the road while driving about 80 mph?
I don't drive that fast at night unless it's on Interstate highways, in which case my 996 Turbo lowbeams provide adequate lighting to see a deer standing by the road in time for me to brake to a much slower speed.

Then you understand why any additional lighting that gives you advance notice is appreciated.
The 996 Turbo fog lights are not designed to provide as much illumination down range as the normal headlights. At 80 mph you would be overdriving (in speed) the effectiveness of the fog lights. They are called "fog lights", not "high speed driving lights".

I never have people flash me to cut off the fogs because they are adjusted low and wide to the road.
I often get blasted with too much light from people driving around on a normal visibility night with their headlights and fog lights on, especially if the road grade has their front end pointed up relative to my approach. People forget that even if all the front lights are aimed correctly, this "aim" is for level surfaces. Road grade that points the lights up can cause problems for oncoming vehicles.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:55 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Georgia code regarding foglights (not their use):

(b) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two foglights mounted on the front at a height not less than 12 inches nor more than 30 inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands and so aimed that when the vehicle is not loaded none of the high intensity portion of the light to the left of the center of the vehicle shall at a distance of 25 feet ahead project higher than a level of four inches below the level of the center of the light from which it comes.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:03 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Georgia code regarding the use of headlights when approaching other vehicles:

Whenever a driver of a vehicle approaches an oncoming vehicle within 500 feet, such driver shall use a distribution of light, or composite beam, so aimed that the glaring rays are not projected into the eyes of the oncoming driver. The lowermost distribution of light, or composite beam, specified in paragraph (2) of Code Section 40-8-30 shall be deemed to avoid glare at all times, regardless of road contour and loading.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:50 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 255 Posts

Dock, I was actually thinking "highway" driving when I made the comment. The speed limit in parts of Kansas is 75 mph even at night. I've had to make several late night runs over the last few months. I have really been surprised how much additional light I get off to the side and slightly ahead with my X3 fogs on. It's so dark I want to use the high beams but I can't because of oncoming traffic. This gives me another option. I was surprised because I primarily drive on well lit city streets and the full effect of fogs wasn't obvious. Once you get away from civilization, all bets are off. And as you probably know living in the South, November and December are the most dangerous times of the year for deer accidents when they are on the move. I'll take any fraction of a second advantage I can get.

IMO
Old 12-15-2016, 05:51 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,227 Likes on 1,437 Posts

I like driving around at dusk with just the parking lights and the fog lights on because it looks cool.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:39 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

me too.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:09 PM
Duc Hunter
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
Yes, even if aimed properly. This is why driving around at night approaching other cars/trucks/motorcycles with highbeams illuminated can be dangerous, a bad idea, just flat rude, and may be against the law depending on the state. In Florida, drivers are not supposed to use their highbeams at night when within 500 feet of oncoming vehicles....even when the headlights are properly aimed.
Dude CHILL-AX! I would NEVER drive around with my high beams on all the time. That is so asinine I did not realize THAT is what you were talking about. This thread is about FOG LIGHTS! Driving with properly aimed fog lights on will NOT get in oncoming traffics eyes by design, they are a cut off beam that is super to be aimed low. You and I have done this dance before. I find your "OEM only, Porsche engineers are gods and know how to do things perfect, any deviation from their wishes by we mere humans is ruining our cars (and anyone who does so is, by caveat, a moron)" position not helpful to my needs for my car and my driving style. Thank you though for your time in replying to my thread.

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
In CT too, yet most people drive with them on all the time with the utmost disregard. Drives me crazy.
Rick, see above. ONLY F'ing MORONS drive with high beams on all the time with total disregard for oncoming drivers. That idea is SO obvious I did not actually think Dock was talking about that.

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
i drive in nearly continual pacific ocean fog and use mine more for others to see me ( better than those little run lights ) than for any significant amount of light they may throw which is negligible. i agree with the OP they dont seem to throw much light but make terrific drl's in fog lol
This is another good use for fog lights of any kind. Our can work ok for this for sure....and it does look cool.

On highway trips through unlit areas I use my fog lights as a way to drastically improve the lighting to the front side area of my cars. The headlights do a good job of straight ahead lighting. My fogs probably add another 3-5 feet of good lighting off to the side.

Ever pass a deer standing on the side of the road while driving about 80 mph? Then you understand why any additional lighting that gives you advance notice is appreciated. I never have people flash me to cut off the fogs because they are adjusted low and wide to the road.

I need to try the turbo's fog lights, I haven't taken it out in a remote area at night; mostly city driving where there is plenty of lighting.
Auto - Let me know your thoughts. As the thread starter I was hoping to get helpful responses like yours. I am not expecting them to be as good as the Cibie's with fog lenses on my '75 Rat Rod.....they should be better than they are IMHO. Dam wondering if, over the years, the inside of the glass lens in the fog light may be dirty. The H3's in the headlights throw a lot more light than seems to come out of the housing.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:05 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Duc Hunter
Dude CHILL-AX! I would NEVER drive around with my high beams on all the time.
I never indicated that I thought you drive around with your highbeams on all of the time.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Here's what you said in reply to my question regarding adequate forward lighting at night..."More is always better in my opinion". So my comments on highbeams were made to illustrate that, obviously, there IS such a thing as "too much light"..."more" is not always better. My question about your opinion regarding the forward lighting available for driving at night in a stock 996 Turbo was asked for a reason; it was an attempt to find out what generated your thread title.

The fog lights on the 996 Turbo are called "fog lights" for a reason. They are designed to be used when driving in foggy conditions. IMO, the design and functionality of the 996 Turbo's fog lights do not suck. IMO, anyone who thinks they suck doesn't unserstand their design and intended use.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:57 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree, the 996 fog lights are worthless. Compared to every other car I own (5 others) all with fog lights, the Turbo produces the least amount of light in that lower projection where they are needed for fog at night. It's actually barely noticeable so I don't even bother with them. On our cayenne GTS they are perfect!
Old 12-17-2016, 02:15 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

to add to the discussion; I recall years ago hearing fog lights are yellow and driving lights are clear. my Porsche tech always discouraged me from using my driving lights on any of my past porsches as they draw a lot of power from the system.
Also if deer sees light don;t they go towards it and you hit them?
driving the wife's suv tonight I had to high beam an oncoming car for having their high beams on.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:48 AM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Turbodan
Also if deer sees light don;t they go towards it and you hit them?
They are unpredictable. They don't necessarily move toward a light like a moth. And adding a little additional side lighting to already bright headlights won't make them run toward your car any faster. Often they freeze in position. I tend to see this happen more. Hitting a deer is my biggest concern this time of year in unlit interstate areas. Spotting one, especially a doe, off to the side usually means a buck is not far off. I can only speak for myself, but being able to see what's just off to the side is important.

Duc Hunter, the inside could be dirty or the reflective part dingy, but it appears to be the design just is not as effective as other cars. It is also mounted relatively high on the front. The dedicated fogs on my BMW's are low and the lens are actually angled toward the side not straight ahead.
Old 12-17-2016, 11:34 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,227 Likes on 1,437 Posts

To add to what Autobonrun wrote. Deer are herd animals. If you see one there are probably half a dozen close by. Fog lights on or off makes no difference. It you see one slow down, slow down a lot. The damage incurred by hitting one can be remarkable.
Old 12-17-2016, 11:45 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

i hit a deer that emerged rapidly from my own back yard and it rolled over my roof and continued its downhill run off of mulholland drive.

porsche's and deer do not go together well.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:38 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Duc Hunter, just to follow up on my earlier comment I noticed something that got my attention and supports my statement as to where they should be placed. Look at the location of the fog lights and the angle of the lens on the 997TT. Pulled this link with picture.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...ure-heavy.html

Low, slightly yellow, and angled to the side. I think Porsche engineers realized the placement on the 996TT was not optimal. I can't believe they would add lumps on the side of the 997 if functionality didn't take precedence. My guess would be 997TT owners don't have an issue with the lighting from their fogs.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:05 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

My 996 Turbo fog lights provided adequate enough lighting by themselves to get me home on dark county two lane roads when I got stuck out one night with my main healights inoperative.

When it's foggy enough to use my fog lights I'm not driving fast. It seems like people here are using their fog lights as "augmentation" lights when there isn't fog.

Quick Reply: Fog lights SUCK!!!!