Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feeling slightly ripped off.... by Rennlisters

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 05:30 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you have licensing on the design? Any small modification on this design constitutes a new design. Need an image google it you will find it to do whatever you please. Although this sux, nothing is sacred anymore.
Old 11-14-2016, 06:20 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

China approves!!!!

Old 11-14-2016, 06:31 PM
kmagnuss
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll buy one from you.
Old 11-14-2016, 06:55 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by KC-CarGuy
You put the two next to each other and tell me they are not "substantially similar" or that there is an "artistic impression" making it different.
upon further reflection, i'm sorry i even made light of this at all, as you've been "damaged" no doubt. though i'm not sure you (a) have any legal redress and that (b) that which was created is in point of fact a copyrightable work! but if warhol could copyright his lithos of a campbells tomato soup can? you can "copyright" this image as well. even though its merely a rendition of yet another design originating elsewhere. though the essence of it is seemingly its "negative" imaging ( if thats the correct descriptive? )

in either event, there is no doubt this sucks and you've been "damaged", but the chance of being compensated is slim to none as the amounts you'd be you'd be chasing wouldn't be worth your costs to do so.

but i would certainly not support any ancillary source of this t-shirt again. it was indeed, great looking work and you are to be commended, and deserve to be recognized, for it. again,.. sorry.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:11 PM
sctanton52
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I went to BlipShift and 'voted' to have your design be brought back to life, hopefully it helps a little. I will buy a couple if they do bring them back. Also thanks for turning me on to BlipShift in general, maybe it shows I am a wee-bit out of touch (read old), but some very cool designs, that I will indeed buy. Hopefully, the true designers get some real cash along the way.

Cheers,
Old 11-14-2016, 07:18 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by wross996tt
The lawyers make all the money.
You rang?

Old 11-14-2016, 07:38 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 417 Likes on 284 Posts

Genuine question, because maybe I'm confused. If you joined here in Feb 2016, and the other guy was using this design in 2015, how did you figure a Rennlister stole it from you? Was it posted on another site prior to you joining here that he could have grabbed the image then?

I'd probably just take it as a compliment and move on with life. He likes your image and maybe he should have given you credit for it, but it's probably not worth getting all twisted about.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:56 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

He changed his username earlier this year. Stan has been on Rennlist for quite a while. His previous username referenced one of his previous cars, a 951, that he no longer owns.

Some people like my stuff enough to steal it. I wouldn't consider that a compliment if they did, though.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:03 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 417 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by kcattorney
He changed his username earlier this year. Stan has been on Rennlist for quite a while. His previous username referenced one of his previous cars, a 951, that he no longer owns.

Some people like my stuff enough to steal it. I wouldn't consider that a compliment if they did, though.
Got it - figured that was the case. What remedy is there for something like this though - the dollar amount is likely close to zero. Aggravating, yes - but so are a million other things every day. Maybe reaching out to EVO and explaining the situation would have ended it all.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:51 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by kcattorney
first time i was a victim of copyright theft was when a rock star recorded a "song" ( sans lyrics ) i taught him and we often jammed trading instruments as we were both reasonably proficient on a few different instruments. so yeah, he jammed with me AND was in a band with hendrix, and yet, thought it perfectly ok to "steal" from me lol. .. and because i never saw fit to file a copyright on an as yet "unrecorded" composition, any legal action would been a battle, and was hardly worth litigating as it was a low charting "single" once it was released commercially, albeit on a major record label.

the adage in the ( the once formerly great ) music business was:

if your song was good enough to be "stolen"? you'll write another.

KCcarguy is in a roughly analogous situation with his graphic.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:29 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

I don't condone IP theft of course, but I have to say that blipshift thing that the tshirts are only available for a few days is some stupid ****, and if they had continued to sell them maybe nobody would have stolen anything.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:40 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by leftlane
Got it - figured that was the case. What remedy is there for something like this though - the dollar amount is likely close to zero. Aggravating, yes - but so are a million other things every day. Maybe reaching out to EVO and explaining the situation would have ended it all.
Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
first time i was a victim of copyright theft was when a rock star recorded a "song" ( sans lyrics ) i taught him and we often jammed trading instruments as we were both reasonably proficient on a few different instruments. so yeah, he jammed with me AND was in a band with hendrix, and yet, thought it perfectly ok to "steal" from me lol. .. and because i never saw fit to file a copyright on an as yet "unrecorded" composition, any legal action would been a battle, and was hardly worth litigating as it was a low charting "single" once it was released commercially, albeit on a major record label.

the adage in the ( the once formerly great ) music business was:

if your song was good enough to be "stolen"? you'll write another.

KCcarguy is in a roughly analogous situation with his graphic.
Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
I don't condone IP theft of course, but I have to say that blipshift thing that the tshirts are only available for a few days is some stupid ****, and if they had continued to sell them maybe nobody would have stolen anything.
Good points all.

I bought one of the Blipshift shirts. I understand their business model, but also wish there was some way to order the old shirts.
Old 11-14-2016, 10:20 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

I do understand your woes....but why not feel you have contributed to the community and take it as a compliment. Also couldn't Porsche sue you for infringement of their image in the first place?
Why can't we all just get along. Only 996 turbo owners would buy these so why not see it as giving back to the community.
I choose to find the positives rather than negatives, plus how much money could they be making off this? few hundred plus the pain of making them, dealing with emails and shipping? move on and take pride in your design.
nice drawing btw.
Old 11-15-2016, 08:04 AM
mxracer
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry but you lost any bitching rights to that image as soon as you posted it here (and I'm sure anywhere else on the web).

If anyone should be concerned about the image making money it should be IB, they own it

A quote from the terms of services on this very site:

"You automatically grant and assign to us, and you represent and warrant that you have the right to grant and assign to us, a perpetual, irrevocable, unlimited, fully paid, fully sub-licensable (through multiple tiers), worldwide license to copy, perform, display, distribute, prepare derivative works from (including, without limitation, incorporating into other works) and otherwise use any content that you post."

A lesson I learned a long time ago as a software engineer.... don't post anything on the web that you want to keep... as soon as it's on the "interweb" you are done (legal or not).
Old 11-15-2016, 10:27 AM
KC-CarGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 62 Posts

"You automatically grant and assign to us, .......
mxracer - the word is "us", as in IB, not someone who can copy and paste into another chat forum, ask if it is illegal to steal art, proceed to print and sell on eBay.

Last edited by KC-CarGuy; 11-15-2016 at 01:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Feeling slightly ripped off.... by Rennlisters