Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OOOpss OVERHEATED 996 tt Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 02:04 AM
mpsig226
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy OOOpss OVERHEATED 996 tt Help!!!

Last month I went down on the side of the highway with no alternator at night and dead battery. Just like that. I replaced the alternator and all back to normal

Yesterday my battery light came on again and the voltage gage was reading about 10v just as when I lost the alternator a month ago, and at night again. I didn't pay any attention to anything else except hoping the engine would not die less than 1/2 mile from home. I took her back real easy, low rpm's and speed when the temp gage light came on and all else went south ... power steering, brakes, clutch. I realized I had lost the belt. I was two minutes away from home so coasted as much as I could to allow air to cool down the engine at idle. Got home and noticed very little steam coming out of the deck fins for literally 5 seconds and opened the deck. A few little drops of coolant around the overflow container. I grabbed a handy fan and I got with it. 2 minutes blowing under each head switching back and forth and then moved to the top of the engine from side to side.

I let her rest about thirty minutes, turned over the key. Temp was back down to 180. I started it to hear the engine, revved a little and all sounded good. The culprit was a seized idler pulley.

I ordered two new pulleys and a new belt and will be replacing them tomorrow.

What should I do or check before I take her out? Any advice will be appreciated a lot ...
Old 10-14-2016, 09:26 AM
NoogaSparrow
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Did the temp light stay on the entire coast? How far in the red was the needle?

I wouldn't be super worried about it if it was a short time like that, and was the only occurrence.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:16 AM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You should be fine but I wouldn't keep driving the car if something similar happens again, not worth the chance. All you can do now is make the repair and see how it acts. When you changed the alternator did you check pulleys for free spin? Goes without saying to replace belt. Good luck
Old 10-14-2016, 10:04 PM
mpsig226
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It was the 1st time. The light came ON but the needle never entered the red light band. It was a hair below it though. The tension pulley, and both idlers were checked. I also checked the belt, a/c compressor and water pump pulleys. All was good. I have indeed ordered and received the idlers, tension and belt this time around. I plan to install them in the morning. Thank you!!!

Quick Reply: OOOpss OVERHEATED 996 tt Help!!!