Sponsored by:

Most likely my 1st TT. 2001 996

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 12:13 PM
uwrasta
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Most likely my 1st TT. 2001 996

Im thinking of buying a 2001 and while there have been plenty of "how much should I pay" posts lately I'm going to add one more. Here is a list of the mods and upgrades. Let me know what you guys think.
44950 is the price.

Options include: Xenon Headlights, Full Leather interior ($4,890), Comfort Package ($2,090), Advanced Technic Pkg, ($3,325), Memory seat, and Carbon Fiber Trim. 3M Clear Bra covers front bumper, and wheel arches.

The car has more than $35k in mods and improvements such as: KW V3 Coilovers ($4,400), Ground Control Camber Plates, Gemballa Wing ($5,800), 18 in. 2 piece Gemballa wheels powder coated gloss black ($5,000), no curb rash, Agency Power Headers, Tubi Exhaust ($4,600), Hyperboost HX Diverter Valves, Fabspeed CF Intake,BMC Air Filter, (SSK) Short Throw Shifter, Custom Suede Seats ($4k), Custom Painted Mirrors, Manual Rear Spoiler kit provides additional height, Tinted windows.A/C ice cold, All scheduled maintenance, Tires are @ 95%, Upgraded Alpine/Parrot sound system.

I have receipts for most of the work and parts. New battery in 2015. Just serviced, custom wheel alignment at 37k, all service is up to date!! I also have the stock air filter, intake, exhaust and headers for an additional $800 with purchase of the car.
Attached Images     
Old 09-18-2016, 12:24 PM
uwrasta
Banned

Oh ya and I ppi has already been done locally buy might have bristow do another.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:33 PM
techweenie
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

All subjective. The price of the 'upgrades' is interesting, but it's what they're worth to you that counts. Some of those mods would be -$$$$ to me. If you like 'em, then the price is great.

I assume the miles are around 40K?
Old 09-18-2016, 01:03 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Used cars are hard enough to evaluate stock. Mod's make it harder.

The problem is sometimes the sum of the mod's is less than that of its parts. The car becomes less not more.

Less in that the car rides harsher, is noiser, develops idiosyncrasies like becoming very sensitive to road surfaces, manifests excessive/uneven tire wear, is less a joy for day to day driving.

In more severe cases the CEL can come on and have error codes that can have one having to really dig to resolve and in some cases might not be resolvable.

Servicing can become more difficult as the tech has to deal with unfamiliar modifications like exhaust or suspension.

With any engine/exhaust mods there is the question of emissions compliance if that is a requirement where you live/drive.

The other thing about mod's is what they say about how the car was used. Generally those types of mods are not what someone does to the car to perk up the grocery run every Sunday.

They are performance/track oriented mod's.

About all I can offer is you give the car a very very thorough road test to familiarize yourself with how the car feels/runs as you intend to use the car. I can't emphasize the importance of this enough. A mod'd car that is fine on smooth streets might jar your eyeballs loose on the rougher roads which are becoming ever more the norm everywhere.

Pay attention to road/wind noise and exhaust noise and be on high alert for any exhaust drone.

Be sure to get a thorough PPI. In the case of this car pay particular attention to the DME overrev counters and engine run time.

Don't skimp or overlook of course giving the car a thorough check for any signs of fluid leaks anywhere and everywhere. Pay particular attention to those engine coolant hose connections/pipes at the block!
Old 09-18-2016, 02:00 PM
uwrasta
Banned

Thanks I will definitely get a thorough ppi. Thanks for the comments. I appreciate.
Old 09-18-2016, 02:01 PM
uwrasta
Banned

Oh ya, it has 39500 miles.
Old 09-18-2016, 06:10 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

Price seems totally reasonable - if it has the mods you favor anyway and it clears the PPI then jump on it.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:31 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Saw this on CL locally, if you like the mods and the PPI checks out, sound like a good find.
Up to date maintenance and records would be a must on my list.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:57 PM
DoninDen
Three Wheelin'

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Check the sold section in eBay motors for the 996TT. It will give you an idea of what they sell for.

The fact that you like and are good with the mods adds value to you.

The other fact is when you go to sell the car, the mods may make the car harder to sell. This detracts in value to you when you go to sell the car. Lots of Porsche buyers want stock and stock period.

Lots of Porsche buyers are scared about mods as they may be an indicator the car has been driven hard. Have the overrevs run, even if insignificant, that will be a significant factor to you when you sell. The dealer can scan the DME.

The mezger engine is one of the best engines and most reliable engines built, so you are probably good. But most Porsche owners buy and sell frequently because they want to try another year/model.

Your seller knows this and if they don't or want to be hardball with you, walk. You don't need to do a jerk a favor.

If you really want the mods, then decide if you're willing to pay the price for a modded car that a stock car would go for.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:42 PM
kmagnuss
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

$38k was the number that came to my head considering the mods (and I'm a fan of the mods personally).
Old 09-19-2016, 01:44 AM
DoninDen
Three Wheelin'

It's much easier to get the car for it's resale value if the seller bought the car with the mods already installed. It's similar to buying a car from someone who did a full restoration and engine build on a non super rare muscle car. They may not want to accept they can't get the money back. Especially if they are married...

If the seller spent the money on the mods, it may be helpful to understand where they are emotionally in the process, as it will change how you discuss value.

1. Denial and isolation;
2. Anger;
3. Bargaining;
4. Depression;
5. Acceptance.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:46 AM
DoninDen
Three Wheelin'

By the way, I think this car rocks!
Old 09-19-2016, 09:08 AM
NoogaSparrow
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm weary of the overall vehicle due to the seats...
"Custom" often times can mean 'cheap' and in this case they don't look like quality seats. This would lead me to believe he did similar short-cuts to the vehicle.

This is just my impression (from the single picture shown of the seats), it may not be the case, but it would make me look harder into the quality of other part installs / correctness. Especially the maintenance history.

and that wing, to me, belongs on a lime green civic....
Old 09-19-2016, 11:39 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Aesthetics aside, make sure the mechanical value is solid.

Confirm the car does not have any areas of concern that you have undoubtedly researched?

Repairs are not inexpensive and while it may have lots of mods, those can all be done later, and for probably less than the $35k mentioned.

Maybe they can keep their mods and sell it for $10k?
Old 09-19-2016, 01:32 PM
uwrasta
Banned

Originally Posted by NoogaSparrow
I'm weary of the overall vehicle due to the seats... "Custom" often times can mean 'cheap' and in this case they don't look like quality seats. This would lead me to believe he did similar short-cuts to the vehicle. This is just my impression (from the single picture shown of the seats), it may not be the case, but it would make me look harder into the quality of other part installs / correctness. Especially the maintenance history. and that wing, to me, belongs on a lime green civic....
Ya I don't know about cheap. I do know that I saw the invoice for the seats and it was more than 5000 dollars.

Quick Reply: Most likely my 1st TT. 2001 996