Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Becker CDR-220 Bluetooth Option

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 01:14 AM
Timeo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed this last week as well in a Boxster S w/ a Becker 220 (I know this is a 996TT board, I am starting to look for a TT and getting up to speed on potential issues)

I echo other reviewers, product works perfectly and the removal tools almost cut my fingers off. I was able to install it by myself but it did take a little time to get the BT module positioned in a way to fully reinstall the head unit.
Old 08-06-2016, 05:59 AM
06Turbo
Instructor

I saw in a video once of someone using the "fingernail cleaner/file" on the nail clippers as their radio removal tool. Of course you need 2 clippers to do the job.
**Update I found the video:

I had to use some leather gloves that I jammed the finger portion through the sharp hole in those "tools", and then yanked!!
Old 10-05-2016, 12:14 AM
Adamoda14
7th Gear

It sounds like most of your cars have the yellow C3 slot empty? I have a 2001 996 CDR-220. The instructions that come with the becker bt are full of typos and hard to understand. It looks like I have to cut into the A5 connector. I really don't want to do that. Did anyone else have to splice a wire? I'm waiting on input from the ebay seller.
I really want my stock head unit to stream music. This regular old cd player blows. But after just having a kenwood head unit stolen out of another vehicle, I want to keep it stock. Besides aftermarket unit never look right.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:56 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Adamoda14
It sounds like most of your cars have the yellow C3 slot empty? I have a 2001 996 CDR-220. The instructions that come with the becker bt are full of typos and hard to understand. It looks like I have to cut into the A5 connector. I really don't want to do that. Did anyone else have to splice a wire? I'm waiting on input from the ebay seller.
I really want my stock head unit to stream music. This regular old cd player blows. But after just having a kenwood head unit stolen out of another vehicle, I want to keep it stock. Besides aftermarket unit never look right.
If you have the CD changer, you will lose the functionality of that by installing this. I think CD changer option uses the same port that this bluetooth device uses. I did not have to splice anything, plug and play. My car is also 2001 CDR-220.
Old 10-05-2016, 05:22 PM
06Turbo
Instructor

You pull the factory blue plug (cd changer) out of the system, and plug the BT blue plug in its place. The follow step by step procedure to access the "Aux" function. NO splicing, dicing or add-a-taps
Old 10-08-2016, 01:05 PM
Adamoda14
7th Gear

After buying the Becker unit on eBay, I bought the much cheaper one from discount stereo. Not only because of price, but due to the fact that the becker unit required me to hack into my wiring harness. F that. Price isn't really an issue because I would do anything to hear my mp3's in my 996!!!
Old 08-27-2017, 04:28 PM
zionman80
1st Gear

Default Bluetooth keeps disconnecting, anybody else?

Hi all,

Longtime lerker around here, finally joined. Anyway, I bought the A2DIY-BKR and installed it, but the problem I have is that my phone keeps disconnecting from Bluetooth shortly after it pairs/connects. I've tried it with a couple different iPhones, and same issue.

Initially I thought there was a problem with the product and returned the first one to discount stereo, but have the exact same issue with this second one, so the issue has to be something else. Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 02-18-2018, 03:26 PM
j.kenzie@sbcglobal.net
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Hi Guys,
I went with the Discount Car Stereo option. Install was easy. I thought I had a problem. After plugging in my radio to the adapter, it asked for the code. I gave it, and went to aux input. My phone could not discover any Bluetooth devices. I had good FM radio sound output. I had not turned on the ignition.
Apparently some radio functions work without the key in ignition, but the BT adapter only powers up with ignition on. Once fixed, the unit worked great, with good sound.
Good luck,
Dave
Old 02-20-2018, 06:55 PM
KC-CarGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 68 Posts

I went with a simple aux cable. Less than $10. Plugs directly into the back of your stereo. I fished the wire around and stuck it out the bottom cubby hole. No drilling. Total time 10 minutes.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:52 PM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 163 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by KC-CarGuy
I went with a simple aux cable. Less than $10. Plugs directly into the back of your stereo. I fished the wire around and stuck it out the bottom cubby hole. No drilling. Total time 10 minutes.
Can I have more detail? Aux cable is plugged into this white lightning adaptor, does it recharge the phone at the same time. I have the 6 cd's changer, I guess it is plug in the aux port???

Last edited by jpflip; 02-21-2018 at 10:11 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:03 PM
j.kenzie@sbcglobal.net
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Discount Car Stereo also sells a Lightening adapter with charging at $85. I really like that idea, and should be great sound.
http://www.discountcarstereo.com/iL-BKR.html
I thought the Bluetooth option was a little more universally adaptable among different devices, with decent sound. I wouldn't be surprised someone makes an input only cable for $10.
Good luck,
Dave
Old 05-27-2019, 12:03 AM
Dmhager
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

I bought and installed this HRB unit in10 minutes and it works great:

Amazon Amazon

after buying and and sending back the one from discount stereo due to problems. The HRB unit is more compact, has a smaller simpler harness, and didnt requiring fiddling to tuck away the large BT box of the other units so the head unit could slide back in. And oh, it was only $40 (half the price).
Old 07-13-2019, 09:27 PM
BlueStreak81657
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dmhager

Amazon Amazon

after buying and and sending back the one from discount stereo due to problems. The HRB unit is more compact, has a smaller simpler harness, and didnt requiring fiddling to tuck away the large BT box of the other units so the head unit could slide back in. And oh, it was only $40 (half the price).
I just installed it on my '01 Boxster S in about two minutes.
In less than five minutes, I was connected to my Sirius radio on my iPhone X.
Simply amazing!!!!!!!!!!
Why pay more?
This works perfectly, and it costs less than $40.

Next project is the EuroMotorspeed Rear Speaker Kit.

This should be the best of all worlds, excellent sound quality (or at least good enough), full bluetooth functionality for stored music and streaming services, and best of all a totally stock Porsche look.

Very happy.
The following users liked this post:
Dmhager (12-27-2019)
Old 10-29-2019, 04:35 PM
kano501
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dmhager

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MFY77V2...sms_tai_bg16Cb...

I also had problems with sound quality. Lot's of noise feedback in the form of whining that mimicked engine speed. Discount Stereo offered no help or options or way to return.

Ordered the HRB and will wait to see how it does. I do have Digital Sound Package if that matters any.
Old 10-31-2019, 05:07 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,463 Posts

I've done it all either on my cars or friends cars. Full replacement with iPad driven system, Sony carplay head unit replacement, factory radio cd dongles... All have their place.

But I recently bought a 2000 BMW Z3 and didn't want to rip out the factory head unit. I skeptically bought one of the devices below, but it actually works really damn well! Sound quality is more than acceptable, installs in seconds, and just flat out works great for $13 bucks!

One minor downside is that without a switched cigarette lighter plug, you need to turn the unit off manually with a press-and-hold or you'll have a slight battery drain.

Anker Roav SmartCharge F0

Quick Reply: Becker CDR-220 Bluetooth Option