Sponsored by:

996tt Clutch Slave Replacement Issues

Old 07-08-2016, 09:23 PM
bellco33
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996tt Clutch Slave Replacement Issues

Hi!

First post, but a longtime lurker of the forum. I've search this forum and others, but couldn't find quite the same problem... hopefully I haven't overlooked something.

My clutch slave cylinder and accumulator were bad so I decided to read the service manual and the DIY on here to attempt to replace them myself. Everything has gone fairly smoothly, but I can't get the clutch pedal to function correctly. I've gone through at least 15 cycles of pushing fluid at 8psi with a Motiv from the reservoir to the bleeder on the slave without running it dry. I've turned the car on to allow the accumulator to get pressure, and the pedal behaves the same way. Here are the symptoms:

- The pedal will fall about halfway to the floor by barely touching it.
- After stopping halfway to the floor, it is hard as a rock. I have to push extremely hard to get the clutch to the point that I can start the car.
- It feels exactly the same whether the car is on or off.
- If I remove the accumulator, the power steering line, and the bolts holding the slave in place, remove the slave (with the master and return lines still attached) and press the rod in, fluid will flow to the reservoir. The clutch pedal will also flop right to the floor if I don't hold it and guide it down slowly.

I'm at a loss here. Could the rod not be engaging the clutch fork correctly? Is this simply a case of air in the system and I just need to bleed it more? Is the slave or accumulator bad, or did I damage the master while attempting to bleed the air out? Looking for any suggestions before giving up and having it towed to the dealer

Thank you in advance.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:31 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 304 Likes on 210 Posts

Air in the system sound like your issue. I have pushed a liter of fluid thru the slave system to get a good bleed and prime.

I would check the fitment of the accumulator to the slave. If the oring is damaged or just not tight enough you will get these issues..

The hydraulic hose connections at the slave and then at the chassis connection.
Old 07-10-2016, 10:21 PM
bellco33
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it help to keep the rear end higher than the front end? Will this help let any air bubbles rise through the system by keeping the bleeder as high as possible? Tried for about another hour today, not much luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 996tt Clutch Slave Replacement Issues