Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering something crazy

Old 06-06-2016, 01:35 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
Did you read it? Can you detect sarcasm? What part of "your strong recommendation is silly" suggests agreement?
well, in an attempt to clean this up before th dude's thread gets derailed. i actually believe he was mistaken about you having "a strong recommendation". i did not see that you had anything other than a disagreement with the supposition that ALL these cars were prone to coolant line failure. a position i happen to agree with, as did ( if i am not mistaken cdk..) but it isn't worth pursuing further. i just was confused by the strident tone and seeming misunderstanding of what cdk posted, and that which generated your snarky response by reply ( about which i know a great deal, i should add! ). but again, it doesn't really matter. perhaps i shouldn't have brought attention to it.

ya think?! lol whatever.. cheers. etc.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:34 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by 993GT
+1 on the 'correction' to occur on the air-cooled market...I think the REALLY nice/museum cars will hold a strong value while the 'normal' condition cars will head somewhere towards where they were a few years ago...big volume productions, how many are really being used/desired once purchased?....
Good question about the amount that actually get used. Some people may have bought average examples on the upswing as "investments". Later, realizing it's not practical to drive as regularly as they told themselves, they discover they need to fix several items to make the 30ish year old car really nice. Romance of an investment they can drive wears off, cars "adjust", and the questioning thoughts begin. Then they stall out for summer and people get scared wanting to get their money back before winter or election or wife realizes, etc...
Then Dude gets a better scenario for his project and others get ones that have been "fixed up" for use.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:54 PM
cdk4219
Rennlist Member

Received 327 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I think what he meant was that the coolant issue isn't nearly as prevalant in the 996tt/gt3 as in the early 997tt/Gt3, which is factual.
What he meant to say, like most, is that if it hasn't happened to my car it isn't a problem. This may be great for him, but unrealistic for others. The truth of the matter is that it is a ****ty design. If you do not drive your car at, all they never will need any extra help. Drive it like I do, they will more than likely come out. These kind of statements come from car owners who have not addressed the factual issue of bazooka gum type adhesive that has been engineered into the car.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:12 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

My previous 3 997 turbos had 160k miles between them, lots of daily driving, tons of track time (100+ days), never had a problem. My current one has about 29k on it, I preemptively did the coolant lines be I had the engine out for something else, but they were fine.
So, yeah I drive 'em, and no they haven't been an issue.
The fact is Porsche used a different supplier for the epoxy compound on the 996 cars, and a new supplier on my the 997s. Either way it could've been done better but there are literally thousands of cars out there without issue worldwide.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Considering something crazy