Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering something crazy

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 04:12 PM
b8_rdc
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The lack of AC is kind of brutal some days in CA. The lack of power steering does help with getting a nice workout though.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:16 PM
Th Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rmc1148
I wouldn't say go for it if it wasn't for the reason I have seen other posts where it sounds like the older 911s really intrigue you. The smart choice is to keep your car but sometimes the crazy thing needs addressed lol.
I see you've been following along.

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
YES! don't do it man! my 993 as fun as it was? was a 275 hp go kart with tailwag to DIE for and i still "play" mcqueen daily on mulholland!

seriously.. you'll ( i would, anyway..) regret going a/c unless it was a SECOND 911. i mean, they are gorgeous, classic, and all that good stuff. but ours beats them ( a/c older 911's ) in every way and according to all here the 96T WILL be a "classic" "someday" i'm still waiting .. but ya get my drift!

( please man.. you give 996 turbo owners a good name lol cheers )

ADD: unless you grab a "singer" for 200k LOL. then all bets are off
Thanks for the kind words, man.
I was considering building the "poor man's Singer".

Originally Posted by b8_rdc
The lack of AC is kind of brutal some days in CA. The lack of power steering does help with getting a nice workout though.
I'm not a big a/c user, even in the heat. I only run my a/c every 4-6 weeks to keep the seals lubed.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:39 PM
Alan A
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

The ad is too wordy.
Anyone really looking knows what welded coolant lines are and what it costs.
Ditto the X50.

How many miles -you- did doesn't belong either IMO, just the service info and upgrades.
Listing the options could be done better with a window sticker picture.

YMMV but you asked for feedback on the ad. I look for less verbiage and more detail.

As to the hotrod, I think it's a great idea. Love the color.
I'd find a way to keep the TT though if you can. I think you'll miss it.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:28 PM
Th Dude
Burning Brakes

Your candor is appreciated, Alan. I'll make the adjustments you recommended, if I decide to proceed with a sale ad.
You're in the minority being in the hot-rod camp. I LOVE my car EVERY time I drive it. Then I get in front of this computer, start looking at hot-rods, and the song of the sirens begins to beckon. To be honest, I'm a big fan of "the hunt", as well.
I think Rick's advice about not paying a premium for a unique factory color on a hot-rod build is solid. The car I've found would be a great starting point, though...non-sunroof, widebody work completed, clean interior, currently running. Bringing the performance level into an acceptable range would be a longer term project. In the meantime, I'd be driving something with all bark and no bite that could be outrun by a modern Toyota (or a modern anything for that matter).
Old 06-03-2016, 07:50 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Th Dude
The car I've found would be a great starting point, though...non-sunroof, widebody work completed, clean interior, currently running. Bringing the performance level into an acceptable range would be a longer term project. In the meantime, I'd be driving something with all bark and no bite that could be outrun by a modern Toyota (or a modern anything for that matter).
Getting more performance out of an AC is really expensive for noticeable gains, you have your answer here.
Buy one when you have both. Wouldn't it suck to have a slower, poorer handling car you're trying to complete while you watch the well sorted fun to drive daily car appreciate?
The 89 M3 I drove daily for years, then gave to my wife to drive when I bought a 964 both go for about what these go for too but you'd never get to trade my turbo for one. Not going to make same mistake a 3rd time
Old 06-03-2016, 08:16 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

my .49..

think the add as written is perfect though i would save the coolant info for discussion with a serious prospect as i don't think it's advisable to advertise a cars *potential* shortcomings, but would certainly mention the 2k you spent in negotiations once you're into them.

as for the x50 designation having had one myself, i would absolutely mention that as it WAS a $17,800.00 option and as such should of course be mentioned. i have had 5 911's and didn't have a clue what the x50 was until i had decided upon the 996 turbo as my next. point is, it was a highly desirable option worthy of mention, regardless of how superfluous and outdated the few items an x50 car may now seem.

still, i'm going to singlehandledly try and talk you out of selling it even if i have to drive over the hill to ronald reagans freeway to do it! lol
Old 06-03-2016, 08:36 PM
Th Dude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 911mhawk
The 89 M3 I drove daily for years, then gave to my wife to drive when I bought a 964 both go for about what these go for too but you'd never get to trade my turbo for one. Not going to make same mistake a 3rd time
Not all of life's lessons need be learned 1st hand. I'll take your advice as someone who appears to have already learned this specific lesson, 1st hand.
I drove an '86.5 928 for 12 years as my one and only. By the end, I couldn't wait to get into something newer. I was younger then. Now, I'm getting old and nostalgic.

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
my .49..

think the add as written is perfect though i would save the coolant info for discussion with a serious prospect as i don't think it's advisable to advertise a cars *potential* shortcomings, but would certainly mention the 2k you spent in negotiations once you're into them.

as for the x50 designation having had one myself, i would absolutely mention that as it WAS a $17,800.00 option and as such should of course be mentioned. i have had 5 911's and didn't have a clue what the x50 was until i had decided upon the 996 turbo as my next. point is, it was a highly desirable option worthy of mention, regardless of how superfluous and outdated the few items an x50 car may now seem.

still, i'm going to singlehandledly try and talk you out of selling it even if i have to drive over the hill to ronald reagans freeway to do it! lol
Solid advice, all around.
I'm starting to think this is just some semi-annual cycle I've recently fallen into...getting the itch for something different. Plus, I do enjoy that hunt.
You have an open invite to come back to the Ojai anytime you like, man. Though, I'm hoping to return to a relative state of saneness on my own....soon.
Old 06-03-2016, 08:45 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts
Default Considering something crazy

The comparison between an old 911 and a 996tt is really difficult. I'm not in the "don't do it" camp.

If I have to drive 200 miles on the interstate I'd much rather be in the 996tt. Driving high speeds in multi lane traffic with a single mirror 42 year old car is not very pleasant at all.

If I can drive 50 miles at 40 to 50 miles per hour on the backroads at sunset on a warm summer evening, I'll take the 1974 any time, there's no comparison. HP isn't always everything.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:24 PM
Th Dude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
If I can drive 50 miles at 40 to 50 miles per hour on the backroads at sunset on a warm summer evening, I'll take the 1974 any time, there's no comparison. HP isn't always everything.
Currently ^^^this^^^ is my typical drive. I live in a small town next to one of the best driving roads in the state (best in the nation according to the editor of Jalopnik). I work from home. If I had a long commute, as I once had, I wouldn't be considering this at all.
My turbo IS dialed in, but I do long for an AC hot-rod. Singer isn't in the cards. A '74 Euro Carrera is no longer in the cards. I figure the next best thing is to build my own.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:14 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

hah sounds like i'll see a *project* when i get up that way next time!
well, either way. make sure it's a porsche!
Old 06-03-2016, 11:56 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Maybe you could cross-post in the 911 section and see what people say. I'd expect some thoughtful responses.
Old 06-04-2016, 12:20 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

I think the old 911s are great cars, but nowhere near worth the money they are getting now. It is crazy. And they are very expensive to fix or parts especially now. I think the 996turbo is an absolute great car and far superior to these old 911s that went for 15k less than 5 years ago. Also, I am not sure if you are going to build the car or have it done but expect it to take longer and more expensive than you think. I would wait to find someone who has built one of these and is having trouble selling it and willing to give you a good price, maybe you could have both. If you want your car to work and go fast and window switches work etc, keep the turbo.
Old 06-04-2016, 12:29 AM
Th Dude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
Maybe you could cross-post in the 911 section and see what people say. I'd expect some thoughtful responses.
Advice taken.

Originally Posted by Turbodan
I would wait to find someone who has built one of these and is having trouble selling it and willing to give you a good price, maybe you could have both. If you want your car to work and go fast and window switches work etc, keep the turbo.
I would much rather find something already (or at least mostly) done...at "a good price" would be most ideal.
I want crank windows and no air-conditioner.
Old 06-04-2016, 12:35 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

your thread is reminding me of how much i enjoyed my 993 in spite of it being exactly half the power of the turbo i now have. there is something indescribably fun about even 993 carerra coupe all the way down to the "thump" of the doors upon closing. i'd have another.

if you don't have experience with them? it might suit your desires exactly. i often long for one again. best of the a/c cars in my book.

except they have pwr windows and AC.
Old 06-04-2016, 01:32 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

keep the 996TT, add a well-kept 914-4

Quick Reply: Considering something crazy