Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new battery vs battery tender vs trickle charger

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 04:56 PM
TheBucketOfTruth
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 149 Posts

You can get your battery tested for free at Autozone or related businesses. See what they say. I too use CTEK chargers. The newer ones have a recondition mode that you might try to salvage your old battery. You're going to want the charger either way, so it couldn't hurt.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:46 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Hmmmm...you can't "recondition" a bad battery...just no science to support this on a lead acid battery. That term surely is a marketing load of sh**.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:28 AM
salraf
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like I may want to go new. I am wondering though if I just get a tender and see how long I can go.

I think I would prefer the plug in adapter rather than the terminal attachment type? Recommendations?
Old 05-25-2016, 04:53 PM
tdrimer
Racer

Originally Posted by salraf
Sounds like I may want to go new. I am wondering though if I just get a tender and see how long I can go. I think I would prefer the plug in adapter rather than the terminal attachment type? Recommendations?
battery tender jr. Hook it up permanently to battery and keep it right at the edge of frunk and windshield and just plug it in when needed. Take two seconds.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:57 PM
mdkelly1
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 54 Posts

Have used CTEK maintainers for years and like them a lot.

CTEK 7002:
Amazon.com: CTEK (56-353) MULTI US 7002 12-Volt Battery Charger: Automotive Amazon.com: CTEK (56-353) MULTI US 7002 12-Volt Battery Charger: Automotive

Connect the receiver for the "snap-in" plug to the battery, then you can easily connect the CTEK maintainer to the car (and close the hood) anytime you wish.
Old 05-28-2016, 10:53 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

my car can sit for a month or more unlocked and starts right up every time. You probably need a new battery and may have a short somewhere.
I have heard of battery chargers reconditioning and saving an old battery.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:10 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Could be your alternator. Mine went out at just under 50K. When you constantly use a trickle charger, this can be less evident as I discovered on my 964 today
Old 06-02-2016, 10:50 PM
salraf
Intermediate

anyone know of any good battery deals going on these days?
Old 06-13-2016, 12:54 PM
salraf
Intermediate

Default update and question..

I am a member of AAA and therefore decide to use their services before deciding what to do. Turns out the battery was installed 3/12 so not that old.

Tech ran diagnostics and found that the battery and alternator were good and suggested therefore a battery tender as expected.

I purchased one from the tech (deltran with AAA name on it so obviously a bit more $$).
I have hooked up the lead connectors rather than the alligator clamps so I could close the hood.

Tender has been solid red for over 18hrs now. It must be working as it blinks red when disconnected.

I should also state that the car did start on its own when the tech came out.

Is the first time with the tender take this long? Bad product since the tech said he never sold one before and may have been sitting around for a while?

Last edited by salraf; 06-13-2016 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:28 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 286 Likes on 197 Posts

Mine is really slow if the battery is dead. Usually just put it on my regular charger if that happens.

The ctek with the permanent hook up and the clips is the cats' meow. I leave the permanent one in the TT and can use the clips for other batteries.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:08 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 255 Posts

When I'm not driving the car, it stays on a battery tender. I have 4 or 5 of them. The battery in my SC just failed last week. It lasted 9 1/2 years using a battery tender. It gets driven less than 1000 miles a year.

So if you're uncertain, I'd have my battery load tested. If it can't handle the load, get a new battery and a battery tender.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:38 PM
Shadetree930
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Is the first time with the tender take this long? Bad product since the tech said he never sold one before and may have been sitting around for a while?
Not unusual if the battery was low. The tender feeds a very low voltage trickle (hence the name) and as such any real charging take a considerable time.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:03 PM
salraf
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Shadetree930
Not unusual if the battery was low. The tender feeds a very low voltage trickle (hence the name) and as such any real charging take a considerable time.
Well charger still shows red now after about 2 days. This morning when I unplugged the charger, it started blinking green for a while without any connection. Also when I plugged it back in, there was a solid green for a short second, then red. Not sure what is going on but I changed to the alligator clamps to see if this would make a difference.

Battery was not particularily low from the AAA tests from what I can recall. Anyways, I am just wondering if I have a bad charger. I will also try a different outlet.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:41 PM
Warehouse33.net
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a CTEK dealer if anybody has any questions or wants to purchase.

-Jason
Old 06-16-2016, 04:00 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Well charger still shows red now after about 2 days. This morning when I unplugged the charger, it started blinking green for a while without any connection. Also when I plugged it back in, there was a solid green for a short second, then red. Not sure what is going on but I changed to the alligator clamps to see if this would make a difference.

Battery was not particularily low from the AAA tests from what I can recall. Anyways, I am just wondering if I have a bad charger. I will also try a different outlet.
I suggest you put a larger charger on until you get it fully charged then put the battery tender on. The initial green light goes on until it assess your battery charge, and if below spec turns to red until brought up to the spec, then starts blinking green at being close to full charge then solid green.
The battery tender is only .75 amps at max. So if your battery is down to 60% it will take a very long time.
When I drive mine for a 1/2 day after a solid green on the tender, it could take a few hrs to get back to solid green.

Do yourself a favor put it on a 10 amp charger, then use the tender to maintain.

Quick Reply: new battery vs battery tender vs trickle charger