Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering "downgrading" to a 996 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 10:08 PM
Fastboy
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I've owned 2 996 TT x50's. My first one was written off when stored over the winter and the building collapsed on it. When I got the CQ from the insurance company--I had lots of choices - I looked at a 997 4S for a second time - as I had before buying the first TT. I also looked at a used Vette z06, a used Viper, Lotus Elan and Exige, Cayman S, and a few others. But I ended up - after driving most of them (except the Elan and Exige) and viewing all options seriously---going back to the 996TT.
Specifically--When comparing the 997 4S, my deciding factor quite frankly was the power. I do admit I like the interior and the wide body hips of the 997 4S. But as for my desires in a car-- The 997 4S felt slow compared to the turbo--and owners of the 996TT will tell you with very little investment, you can turn the already fast stock turbo into a monster--even more so with the x50. Upgrade the mapping, the exhaust, waste gates and then do the suspension--and you have a car that will kill it on the track and leave your 997 4S for dust. In fact--I go to the track with a pal that has the even newer 991 S- he is a very experienced track guy--and not only is my car faster by a noticeable degree, but its handling is close enough to say that the difference is not worth the tradeoff in the loss of power in his car (despite its beauty interior!). I spent quite a bit of time trading back and forth with his car at the track--I like the new car, it shifts nicer, it does feel to some degree better in corners, but I am not convinced that the difference is that great--and again, I have the superior torque, which gives you that seat of the pants exhilaration few other cars do.
Thats my experience, take it for what its worth.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:21 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbopun
What about making an even more radical track focused choice? There are other platforms whose consumables are lighter on the wallet. I.e. keep the 997, and get a [944/E46/Exige/Evo/spec racer/etc.]. I would seriously consider that, were I in your shoes.
True that. The key is, do you need to drive the car to and from the track, or could you live with a trailer and tow vehicle? if the latter, then you can get some crazy sick stuff for the price of a sorted 996 turbo. No disrespect to Porsche, but you could look at SRA Atom, Caterham, Radical, etc.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:57 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

996tt + ecu + exhaust is a beast that is capable of keeping up to most modern of super cars out there on HP tracks. With that fairly stock and inexpensive setup can be tracked just like that for a season of advanced DE.

Next simple mod is to increase the track with some rear wheel liner molding and gt2 brackets to fit some new some wheels 12" in the back with 235 front and 315 rears with R compounds.

Brakes are not necessarily an issue for DE but stock pads wear really quickly. Replacing them with a pad like Pagid Yellows give you more bite, then you will notice better brake pad wear but rotors start wearing.
You can upgrade rotors and increase the size which will help with cooling, I ended up doing just fronts as rears wear isn't that bad unless your PSM is coming on a lot. It will wear and over heat your rear brakes if your driving style does get it to come on a lot. Add larger brake ducts to help cooling.

More expensive mod is the suspension and suspension bits. With correct setting this is a magical transformation. Once done this will allow the car to carry speed through the corners with a lot more confidence. This also helps a lot with the smaller tighter courses and improves how it responds through quick the transitions.

Now your at a stage I would say is a nice DE oriented car but limited to 1/2 hour track sessions. It's also still a car that you can switch to stock tires and use to drive daily and in the rain.
The 996tt on the scales in real life is quite close to the weight stated of 3395 lbs in the manual, with spare tire and tools removed and a full tank of gas. This is actually not much heavier when compared to more modern cars and even the GT3.

Best to ask guys like Powdrhound or Kaizu if your converting to RWD or preparing the car for longer track sessions then a advanced DE car

Quick Reply: Considering "downgrading" to a 996 turbo