Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch slave upgrade for the cost of a liter of Pentosin

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 01:02 PM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 159 Likes on 130 Posts

Job well done, congratulations!!!!! Happy for you with that good result. I did an open heart surgery of an old slave and accumulator . Unfortunately nothing obvious found in the slave. All the seals looks really good and the cylinder wall looks good also....My thinking was the fluid might escape between the high pressure and low pressure on the piston itself(pressure A pressure B). Al the other components where perfect....The accumulator bladder was damage. It slip from his joint....Strange but it seems the rubber did not react properly with the Pentosin.... I can be wrong there also ;-) Keep us inform of your findings if you ever attempt to dig deeper into the mysterious slave failure
Attached Images   
Old 06-12-2017, 05:53 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

��
Old 06-12-2017, 05:54 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Good job, enjoy

👍
Old 10-14-2017, 01:35 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

wow, that was a long read!

After all of the removals, plugging, plumbing, leaking, sealing, custom plugs, etc. it seems like you could effectuate the same result by simply removing the coupler and leaving everything else in place. Accumulator, lines, clutch slave (assuming it's not leaking).

No more high pressure going into the accumulator, so accumulator leaks become moot. No more high pressure going into the clutch slave, so presumably no migration of pentosin from PS reservoir to clutch master reservoir.

Perfect solution? Probably not... But will fairly quickly and easily reversibly let you experience clutch effort and smoothness of the mod, and if it's 'temporary' just until the tranny is down for the full GT2 slave mod, why not? Zero cost, zero under body work.

Seems like the whole reservoir/pump/high pressure line/accumulator/slave/return-line/reservoir circuit would just remain static... Fluid filled but no pressure, and all clutch actuation pressure would just come from the clutch master.

Am I missing something?
Old 11-06-2017, 11:49 PM
tom153
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Precisely what I did today in my prep for a gt2 conversion. Clutch is VERY heavy and I can't say that I get a whole lot more feedback, but that may be due to how heavy the clutch is.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:43 AM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

I must be the only one around here who likes the action of the power assisted clutch. :/ I get caught in city traffic sometimes and I could not imagine driving a GT2 weighted clutch in that crap for very long.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:15 AM
danspach
Instructor

In the end I did exactly that....took out the coupler but that was the way the process evolved...not really the plan from the start.

I was trying to avoid splitting the reservoir/pump for fear of getting pentosin everywhere. The only instructions I could find for doing this said “have rags everywhere to catch the pentosin before it ruins your paint.” Had I known you could just take to top off of the reservoir and get every last bit out first, I would have done that from the start. That was the tipping point for me. Once that fear was removed, it was an easy choice.

It took me about a week to get used to the weight of the new setup and I have yet to remove the helper spring (in mostly because that noise is incredibly annoying) but have a much better relationship with my clutch now, though it doesn’t have as much feel as I was expecting.

At the end of the day, I still have the original slave design in there but I have taken the accumulator which also fails out of the loop so one less thing to worry about.

Wasn’t a perfect job but it was my first time doing it and couldn’t find answers to some of my questions. Now I understand the circuit completely.

- Dave
Old 01-25-2018, 06:33 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 275 Posts

So, has anyone confirmed you can just pull the coupler and leave everything else in place to accomplish a GT2ish conversion, meaning getting rid of that unnecessary assist?

Also, I was wondering if anyone thought the failures was because of the assist beating the crap out of the slave?

Ed
Old 01-25-2018, 06:39 PM
tom153
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lliejk
So, has anyone confirmed you can just pull the coupler and leave everything else in place to accomplish a GT2ish conversion, meaning getting rid of that unnecessary assist?

Also, I was wondering if anyone thought the failures was because of the assist beating the crap out of the slave?

Ed
Yes, it can be done, see my post above.

I’ve gotten used to the heavy clutch after a week so it’s not as bothersome anymore, but I still feel like it lcks the feedback of a proper clutch set up. Eill be installing a gt2 slave soon so I’ll be able to compare.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:46 PM
danspach
Instructor

Originally Posted by tom153

Yes, it can be done, see my post above.

I’ve gotten used to the heavy clutch after a week so it’s not as bothersome anymore, but I still feel like it lcks the feedback of a proper clutch set up. Eill be installing a gt2 slave soon so I’ll be able to compare.
I’d echo all of the above.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:21 AM
tom153
Intermediate

Appologies for all the typos; was sending that while I was sitting in traffic 😊

I will also try to post up a pic of a pretty cool tool I used to get to the driver’s side bolt of the reserviour. The one at the back is still a total pain in the *** through.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:08 AM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Cool, so pull the pump, disassemble, remove coupler, reassemble and no more assist.

Unfortunately yesterday I noticed some PS Pump noise, so my slave may already be stealing fluid from the PS reservoir. The question is whether removing the coupling will allow me to avoid replacing the slave. I really think the death of these components is due to the high pressure feed from the PS pump. I have to look at the accumulator and see what's going on there. I'll do that when I get back from reffing a game tonight.

Long and interesting read. Felt like I was right there with you as you went through all the steps to get here. Nice to see all the responses and help offered along the way and great job with the photos - is photography a hobby or does your attention to detail bleed over into your photo taking!

Great job and I will be curious to see what new tool I can add to my stash - the only complaint my wife gives me about my service technician alter ego, she likes when I save the money, but will occasionally question, "Do you really need that tool?" with the answer always being something like, "Yes, I need that $100 crank lock so I can change the timing belt and save $600." (on my old Audi S6).

Ed
Old 01-26-2018, 08:29 PM
danspach
Instructor

Originally Posted by lliejk
Cool, so pull the pump, disassemble, remove coupler, reassemble and no more assist.

Unfortunately yesterday I noticed some PS Pump noise, so my slave may already be stealing fluid from the PS reservoir. The question is whether removing the coupling will allow me to avoid replacing the slave. I really think the death of these components is due to the high pressure feed from the PS pump. I have to look at the accumulator and see what's going on there. I'll do that when I get back from reffing a game tonight.

Long and interesting read. Felt like I was right there with you as you went through all the steps to get here. Nice to see all the responses and help offered along the way and great job with the photos - is photography a hobby or does your attention to detail bleed over into your photo taking!

Great job and I will be curious to see what new tool I can add to my stash - the only complaint my wife gives me about my service technician alter ego, she likes when I save the money, but will occasionally question, "Do you really need that tool?" with the answer always being something like, "Yes, I need that $100 crank lock so I can change the timing belt and save $600." (on my old Audi S6).

Ed
Hah. You still have the S6? Love mine but haven’t had to do a timing belt on it yet.

The coupler removers the power assist but the slave has the check valve in it that goes bad and steals the fluid.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:22 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Looks like I am diving under the car.

Noise was lack of fluid, topped it off with a little Pentosin, so where is it going? Took the cover off the accumulator area in the trunk and clean as a whistle and normal level.

So why don't I have a mess under the car? Put about 2.5K miles on it since getting it, assuming they topped it off then, dropped enough fluid to make noise, puddled on one of the under body panels? Sipped up by the Pentosin gremlin I purchased with the car?

Only time will tell.

Ed
Old 01-27-2018, 12:48 AM
danspach
Instructor

Mine wasn’t leaking enough to see a puddle but when I went to do an oil change, noticed a shiny drop pooling at the bottom of the transmission...that was the leak form the slave above.

Quick Reply: Clutch slave upgrade for the cost of a liter of Pentosin