Looking for a high mileage DD. Pitfalls

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 10:30 PM
rocking chair
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a high mileage DD. Pitfalls

Hello

New member. I am in the market for a 996 T as a daily driver. I would prefer a higher mileage car that would be priced accordingly. I know that you should buy the best car you can afford but I really do not want to tie up 40-50k on a daily driver.

Question. Any specific problem areas on these cars? This will be my first water cooled Porsche. They seem to be pretty reliable cars. I will try and find one with as much documentation as possible but if I come across a 150k car with no records should I run away or jump in?

Anyone have one for sale?

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Jeff
Old 04-09-2016, 01:27 AM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What is your budget. the price between a high to mid mileage car is negligible
Old 04-09-2016, 02:11 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

if the car is up to date with maintenance and has had frequent, higher mileage in the last few years, is probably a smart buy
FWIW, low mileage has no benefit to quality, high mileage has nothing against quality...maintenance, care, proactivity
Old 04-09-2016, 10:48 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,432 Posts

As Rob wrote proper maintenance is key.
Old 04-09-2016, 01:35 PM
techweenie
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

I've seen a few with miles at 110K and up under $30K. But they are at low-end dealerships and presumably have zero records.

Considering the cost of some of the things our cars need at various times, I'm gonna echo the above posts.
Old 04-09-2016, 01:39 PM
Drinaldis
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I tried to use my car as a DD with less than spectacular results. The fact remains that these are old cars and you will get stranded at some point. Unless the maintainance includes recently replaced all rubber, pinned coolant line, etc you're gonna miss a few days at work. Good luck.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:10 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Drinaldis
I tried to use my car as a DD with less than spectacular results. The fact remains that these are old cars and you will get stranded at some point. Unless the maintainance includes recently replaced all rubber, pinned coolant line, etc you're gonna miss a few days at work. Good luck.
If you are going to use any older high-end vehicle as a daily driver, it is definitely wise to have back-up transportation. This allows you the luxury of time to diagnose a problem when it arises AND research the most cost-effective way to make the repair. If you have no back-up car, then you have to rush to get it back on the road, which may force you into an expensive mode of repair.

Example, with my S430, I needed new lower control arms on both front sides. Mercedes price for parts about $1,200 per side, plus my normal Indy labor of about $800. I took my time and discovered warehouse33auto.com and Jason got the parts for less than half that price. Then I found a shop that installed them for $250. Total cost ~$1,400. had I been forced to go with the initial estimates, it would have been about $3,200. But I was able to drive my old E30 convertible for a couple of months while I sorted through the options.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:41 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by rocking chair
Hello

New member. I am in the market for a 996 T as a daily driver. I would prefer a higher mileage car that would be priced accordingly. I know that you should buy the best car you can afford but I really do not want to tie up 40-50k on a daily driver.

Question. Any specific problem areas on these cars? This will be my first water cooled Porsche. They seem to be pretty reliable cars. I will try and find one with as much documentation as possible but if I come across a 150k car with no records should I run away or jump in?

Anyone have one for sale?

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Jeff
Different strokes for different folks but I believe if I came upon a 996 Turbo withf 150K miles and no service records I would if not run away most likely walk away at a brisk pace.

'course, if you are the type of person who likes to jump in and then come out smelling like a rose then maybe you are one of the lucky ones.

If not putting a Turbo right that is wrong can be a very expensive experience.

Even if I came upon a 150K miles 996 Turbo with good service records I'd still give the car a thorough used car check out.

As for problem areas, as the miles accumulate every area can be a problem area. From the spoiler to the headlights.

All you can do is try to find one that has received reasonably good and documented service and there is evidence it was "loved" by its previous owner(s) and this is evident by a stack of invoices accumulated by taking care of things that have come up over the years and miles, things besides services.

Arrange for a 15 mile test ride then turn around and give the car a 15 mile test drive. Spend some time in the car in its natural state and environment: Engine running and the car being driven or you driving the car like you intend to use it.

Afterwards if you still like the car and believe it worth owning arrange for a PPI. Among other things this will have the car in the air so a careful inspection can be made for any leak sign.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:14 PM
rocking chair
4th Gear

Thanks for the input.

KC. I do have several other cars to use. Honestly the Turbo will be used 2-3 times a week for a 80+ mile round trip.

Macster. Thanks for your input.

Jeff
Old 04-09-2016, 10:41 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

How about 30k$ fir a 2001 45k mileage turbo w/a maine salvage title? Had body damage all repaired full paint from grey to speed yellow
Old 04-10-2016, 12:33 AM
geetee
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I think a 996T is a perfect DD and I don't see anything wrong with looking for a higher mileage one. There's not "that" many issues with these. You said you have back up vehicles so it shouldn't be a problem. Maintenance over miles for sure. Switch to snows for the winter and it's pretty good. I've been doing 140miles round trip 3-4x/week for 6 years now..
Old 04-10-2016, 10:46 AM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by geetee
I think a 996T is a perfect DD and I don't see anything wrong with looking for a higher mileage one. There's not "that" many issues with these. You said you have back up vehicles so it shouldn't be a problem. Maintenance over miles for sure. Switch to snows for the winter and it's pretty good. I've been doing 140miles round trip 3-4x/week for 6 years now..

That's great, I bet you look forward to going and leaving work.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:07 PM
nitrorocket
Instructor

Not sure when you're looking to buy, but in the next month or two, I will be selling a white 996 turbo with a six speed for about $30k, has about 68k on it. It's not perfect, but overall it's a pretty nice car...
Old 04-10-2016, 07:14 PM
rocking chair
4th Gear

32 Krazy thanks for the offer but I am going to pass on your car at this time.

First off thanks to everyone for there insight.

So the mileage does not scare me as long as the car has been maintained.

Are there certain things that I should look for to be done on the car with over 100k?

Should the Clutch have been done?
I see discussion about pinned coolant lines? Not sure what that is?
Any other major maintenance issue that should have been done by 100K?
Old 04-11-2016, 06:11 PM
cburke996
Instructor

emailed...

Quick Reply: Looking for a high mileage DD. Pitfalls