Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Take care of one problem and another....

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 06:45 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts
Default Take care of one problem and another....

appears.

Didn't even manage to get my Boxster home from the dealer -- I dropped it off last night when I picked up the Turbo after having its coils/plugs replaced -- and this AM when I returned to the Turbo after just a short break from driving the thing I noticed a puddle of liquid under the left front of the Turbo just ahead of the wheel well. $4000+ worth of dollar signs flashed before my eyes as I recalled the new radiators installed just over a year ago.

But I did some investigation: The fluid didn't feel like antifreeze though it was a bit slick/slippery between the fingers. It wasn't hot either even though I had just shut off the engine just minutes before. And there was no odor of antifreeze either.

It wasn't just plain old water either left over from being washed after being serviced because I didn't have the car washed after its service.

I suspect a stuipid headlight washer hose/connection has failed.

Anyhow, I drove the Turbo back to the dealer and picked up the Boxster. I will have to run by the dealer Monday before work and drop off the key and get the process going to have this addressed.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:12 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,437 Posts

Sounds like it might be time for a new car? Or cars?

How miles on the Turbo and Boxster?
Old 02-06-2016, 10:25 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I doubt it will be a big deal, as much as you have in your car you might as well hang in there.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:38 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

if the washer fluid was fully topped-up/'maxed' with the car cold, after driving/ambient temp rise it can/does leak out there...
Old 02-07-2016, 12:37 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Sounds like it might be time for a new car? Or cars?

How miles on the Turbo and Boxster?
The Boxster has 298K miles, the Turbo just a bit over 140K miles.

I think about a new car every once in a while but then I price a new car and then fixing the old car (or cars) doesn't seem so bad.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:47 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by 993GT
if the washer fluid was fully topped-up/'maxed' with the car cold, after driving/ambient temp rise it can/does leak out there...
Pretty sure the washer fluid was topped up. The techs are good about checking fluid levels and topping them up if needed.

The amount of fluid though seems way more on the ground than what I would expect from a slight increase in volume due to an increase in the fluid's temperature. And I've never seen the fluid leak before.

And it leaked twice which strongly suggests to me it is more than just the fluid leaking out as the level of the fluid finds equilibrium.

I had that darned head light unit out more than a few times in the last few months dealing with a non-functioning turn signal which appears to be due to a bad connection between the bulb holder and the head light unit into which it fits.

I managed to get the bulb working again but I wonder if the washer rubber hose/fitting or whatever it is just gave up due to age/exposure?

After thinking about this some I'm tempted to go to the car and remove the head light unit and check the washer fluid connection and see if I can spot the problem and perhaps fix it myself.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:01 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,437 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster

I think about a new car every once in a while but then I price a new car and then fixing the old car (or cars) doesn't seem so bad.
That is very impressive mileage on your Boxster.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:50 PM
docboy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Impressive mileage, esp the Boxster's. These cars certainly are meant to be driven.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:06 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts

Yes very impressive which model boxter is it, how's the condition of the car holding up. Does it still drive nice and tight. Could you post some pics.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:28 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by James88
Yes very impressive which model boxter is it, how's the condition of the car holding up. Does it still drive nice and tight. Could you post some pics.
2002 Boxster 2.7l with 5-speed manual. The car is in pretty good shape but of course has some small rock pits and other normal things a car picks up over the years. Paint (lapis blue) still looks good.

I had a new top installed less than a year ago when teh orignal one developed a leak. I went with an aftermarket top GAHH with the plastic window. The factory top was over double the price of the GAHH top. The GAHH top is pretty good as near as I can tell indistinguishable from the factory top.

Interior is ok. No cracks in the seat leather. Dash and buttons holding up nicely. Really everyone that sees the car when they learn it has so many miles comment on how good the car looks.

The techs who service the car drive it once in a while to road test it and have standing orders to if they feel the suspension for instance needs attention to let me know. So far they have not found any reason to replace the shocks or other suspension/steering/drivetrain hardware -- other than the CV boots that finally cracked (the bearings were ok just needed to be cleaned and repacked with grease) -- so I just keep driving the car on the stock orignal suspension.

I really don't have any pics of the car other than some I take once in while when the car is in for service. Send me your email address and I can send you a couple of pics of the car.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:35 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Heat from the rads, brakes etc..but if you are having headlight connection issues, grab the 'wrench' from your toolkit and unlatch and re-latch the headlight assembly. It could be it has become unhooked and the slip-fit washer connection is leaking...not to mention you could lose your headlight!

Pretty sure the washer fluid was topped up. The techs are good about checking fluid levels and topping them up if needed.

The amount of fluid though seems way more on the ground than what I would expect from a slight increase in volume due to an increase in the fluid's temperature. And I've never seen the fluid leak before.

And it leaked twice which strongly suggests to me it is more than just the fluid leaking out as the level of the fluid finds equilibrium.

I had that darned head light unit out more than a few times in the last few months dealing with a non-functioning turn signal which appears to be due to a bad connection between the bulb holder and the head light unit into which it fits.

I managed to get the bulb working again but I wonder if the washer rubber hose/fitting or whatever it is just gave up due to age/exposure?

After thinking about this some I'm tempted to go to the car and remove the head light unit and check the washer fluid connection and see if I can spot the problem and perhaps fix it myself.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:18 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by 993GT
Heat from the rads, brakes etc..but if you are having headlight connection issues, grab the 'wrench' from your toolkit and unlatch and re-latch the headlight assembly. It could be it has become unhooked and the slip-fit washer connection is leaking...not to mention you could lose your headlight!
I seriously thought about looking into this myself but my problem is I have a sore thumb, sore due to a "trigger finger" problem. I had the right thumb operated on to fix this back in fall of 2014. I can't have surgery on the left thumb because the doctor will want to try the shots first and I haven't even had time to get in to see him for the 1st shot and he wants to do 3 before he'll agree to operate. 'course, if the shots work I'm all for that over surgery. The shots weren't the cure for the right thumb though, but we'll see if they do the trick for the left thumb.

With my thumb I'd probably drop the head light. The head light is secure, of that I'm sure. The leak I sort of suspect isn't at the light but closer to tank.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:27 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Sorry to hear about your hands, can't be easy!
That said, all you have to do is pop the headlight plug out in the trunk and give the wrench a light twist to disengage and reverse direction to re-lock the light in. Headlight does not come out(unless you physically pull it out), moves about 1/2", sort of a cam-lock design. You will feel it positively unlatch and latch. It might be as simple as that
Cheers,

I seriously thought about looking into this myself but my problem is I have a sore thumb, sore due to a "trigger finger" problem. I had the right thumb operated on to fix this back in fall of 2014. I can't have surgery on the left thumb because the doctor will want to try the shots first and I haven't even had time to get in to see him for the 1st shot and he wants to do 3 before he'll agree to operate. 'course, if the shots work I'm all for that over surgery. The shots weren't the cure for the right thumb though, but we'll see if they do the trick for the left thumb.

With my thumb I'd probably drop the head light. The head light is secure, of that I'm sure. The leak I sort of suspect isn't at the light but closer to tank.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:26 PM
Macster
Race Director

Default Update... No leak...

Tech removed front wheels and bumper cover and the wheel well liners and could spot no leak. He ran the windshield and head light washers and not one drop of fluid leaked out.

SM asked me to stop in this AM and inspect the car. I did so and I could see no leak sign. But I still saw the water on the ground under the car the other day, twice, and the second time I even reached up and felt on top of the liner just ahead of the left wheel and it was "full" of water and I even thought I could feel water drlpping on my hand so I'm sure I didn't imagine that.

Tech believes the water was from spillage when he topped up the washer tank. I can accept this explanation based on what I've seen and what the tech reported seeing, or not seeing (no leak).

The washer fluid lines looked ok and quite substantial. There is some nice hardware/engineering present in these cars when one looks under the covers.

Oh, spotted some rubber flaps hanging down from the fan enclosure. Seems these hang down to help speed up the engine heating up at cold start but once under way or when the fan is running these flaps are blown open so air flows through the radiator. The flaps are similar to those at the back of the car that allow cabin air to escape but do not allow exhaust fumes to be pulled into the cabin. Again, some nice hardware/engineering under the covers.

Tech found 2 bolts holding the center radiator were loose. He tightened those and found some other fastener hardware missing and replaced the missing hardware. Since the cover was off he cleaned out the radiator ducts, too, with a shop vac.

SM just emailed me car is together and ready to pick up tonight after work.

SM informed me there is no charge for any of this. I asked the SM if he was sure as it was my mistaken impression that sent the tech on a wild goose (well, leak) chase.

Anyhow, I pick the car up tonight after work and then when the new Bridgestone tires arrive I can get those installed and the alignment done as one rear tire is not wearing evenly.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:25 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They installed the radiators didn't they?, should have seen missing hardware then. Nice they didn't charge all the same. Edit I believe you may have the radiators done while away from home?

Last edited by rmc1148; 02-09-2016 at 11:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Take care of one problem and another....