Sponsored by:

MAF, ABS, PSM Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 09:42 PM
Byron in MS
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default MAF, ABS, PSM Help!!!

I know this issue gets beat to death but but I cannot seem to resolve my issue with over a year of dealing with it!!! Last year I converted my car to rear wheel drive. After that I would get the dreaded PSM/ABS failure whenever I would get a little spirited in my driving. Track days were the worst obviously. So I would disconnect the PSM pump in the front trunk. This would at least allow the ABS to continue to work. At first I thought this issue was a result of removing the front running gear and thought the ECU needed reflashing since the error said something like "Signal improbable".

After a few weeks, it started throwing the P0102 code, so last March I replaced the MAF. I thought this had fixed the PSM/ABS Failure issue, but upon the next track day, it reappeared.

So now I got the car back after 6 months of front end conversion and it will barely run with the MAF connected. I have been disconnecting the MAF to drive the car, and it runs great, but the PSM/ABS Failure and P0102 occur instantly.

So I got a Durametric tool and connected it and have attached a sample log. The MAF seems to be working based on what I have read online, but it runs terribly. It spits, sputters, and searches for an idle speed. When revved, it is not smooth, and won't hold a steady RPM. Disconnect the MAF and it runs fine, but the PSM and ABS shut down and the CEL comes on.
Attached Files
File Type: xls
2016_02_02_19_40_33.xls (143.0 KB, 86 views)
Old 02-02-2016, 10:40 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts

You wrote the diagnosics and solution in your post..

You unplugged the MAF and the engine ran better and idled....

You have a damaged MAF from the bodyshop or accident or XYZ.. Replace it.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:42 AM
Byron in MS
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
You wrote the diagnosics and solution in your post..

You unplugged the MAF and the engine ran better and idled....

You have a damaged MAF from the bodyshop or accident or XYZ.. Replace it.
If the MAF were damaged, shouldn't the log reflect that? This log shows viable readings for a good MAF... IF MAF's were $10, it'd be different.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:53 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts

When the MAF is unplugged the ECU is now being forced to run on the MAP sensor> speed density..

Your MAF or wiring harness/connector is faulty.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:13 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Byron in MS
If the MAF were damaged, shouldn't the log reflect that? This log shows viable readings for a good MAF... IF MAF's were $10, it'd be different.
There is I believe no need to further diagnose what Kevin has I believe correctly id'd as a MAF (or MAF wiring) problem.

But if you want monitor/log short term fuel trims. Those are derived from the signal the MAF sends to the DME. Also, check the intake air temperature. This is another MAF supplied reading.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:17 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You could have a vac leak as well
Old 02-03-2016, 11:56 AM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Unless your going maffles as suggested at 6spd a spare MAF is nice to have= so give it a try and if it isn't that you have it for when.

Quick Reply: MAF, ABS, PSM Help!!!