Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BBi Autosport Porsche 996 & 997 Turbo Clutch Slave Cylinder Conversion Upgrade Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 07:40 AM
BBiAutosport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 544 Likes on 314 Posts
Default BBi Autosport Porsche 996 & 997 Turbo Clutch Slave Cylinder Conversion Upgrade Kit

Attachment 1344394

BBi Autosport Porsche 996 & 997 Turbo Clutch Slave Cylinder Conversion Upgrade Kit

Always striving for innovation, BBi Autosport is proud to present highly acclaimed Clutch Slave Cylinder Conversion Kit for the Porsche 996 and 997 Turbo. After successfully tested on both the streets and tracks for over a year, the Clutch Slave Cylinder Conversion is finally in stock and ready to ship.

The factory power-assisted clutch system has always been the Achilles heel for the Porsche 997 Turbo. Utilizing the power steering system to help reduce the force needed to depress the clutch pedal, it is a flawed design that delivers a mushy pedal feel with poor feedback, and is highly prone to failure. Our system addresses both of those issues by eliminating the problematic factory power-assist system for improved reliability and pedal feedback. Unlike other kits, our system is designed be used with OEM clutch master cylinder, hose, and spring pack. This eliminates the need for additional parts, making our kit a complete plug and play solution.

The other kits on the market simply adapts factory 996 GT2 parts with aftermarket brackets and caps off the power steering pump with plugs. Our kit is our very own proprietary design and does not plug the power steering pump because the plugs can fail. Instead, the power steering fluid is routed through the unit to simulate the factory system. With the failure of the factory system inevitable, this is a must upgrade for the 996 and 997 Turbo to achieve the excellent pedal feedback and reliability similar to that of the Porsche 997 GT2 and GT3 without compromising drivability.

Features
  • Eliminates the problematic OEM power-assisted clutch slave cylinder for improved reliability
  • Significantly improves the clutch feel and engagement
  • Similar feel to the factory 996 GT2 conversion kit for excellent drivability
  • Proprietary plug and play design
  • Retains clutch master cylinder, hose, and spring pack
  • Requires less installation time than other slave cylinder conversion kits
  • Does not adversely affect clutch life
  • Precision CNC machined and hard anodized aluminum construction
  • Hard anodized 7075 aluminum piston
  • Designed for Porsche 996 and 997 Turbo

International shipping is available and wholesale inquiries are welcomed. BBi Autosport products are also available worldwide through our growing dealer network in North America, Latin America, Europe, Middle East, Africa, Asia and Pacific. BBi Autosport is always actively working to expand our dealer network worldwide to grow the distribution of our products and better serve our growing client base. For all questions and inquiries, please email Jerry@BBiAutosport.com or Sales@BBiAutosport.com

- JerrY@BBiAutosport.com

Bringing Passion, Artistry, Craft to the Porsche Tuning Industry
Southern California's Porsche Performance Tuning, Engine Development,
ECU Software Tuning, Custom Fabrication, Race Preparation & Factory Service Center
Website: www.bbiautosport.com Email: sales@bbiautosport.com Phone: (714) 843-0200
Follow Us On: Facebook & Instagram

Last edited by BBiAutosport; 01-31-2016 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:37 PM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 114 Posts

It would be great if you could provide some data on pedal pressure. Stock vs gt2 vs bbi. Everyone wonders and nobody really knows other than some vague comments. This will be the deciding factor when it comes time to replace mine.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:06 PM
BBiAutosport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Third-Reef
It would be great if you could provide some data on pedal pressure. Stock vs gt2 vs bbi. Everyone wonders and nobody really knows other than some vague comments. This will be the deciding factor when it comes time to replace mine.
Third Reef, that is a good question. The clutch pedal feel is very close to the GT2. We released this kit early last year and have sold many units ever since. Feedback has been great and we'll wait for one of users to chime in.

- Jerry@BBiAutosport.com
Old 01-31-2016, 04:32 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Third-Reef
this is a post from 6so in the 997 turbo forum from a member who has this part installed.
member A418T81
Ok, got the car back today. While it was down, I had torque solutions engine mounts installed, as well as the BBi slave cylinder and a new slave reservoir at the same time.

First off, the power change is noticeable. The car pulls decently harder above 5k rpm to redline. Also, with the substantial decrease in timing in the midrange, the torque hit is softened a bit, even though it makes more now. Before it was very, VERY explosive when the turbos came online, and literally felt like somebody kicked you in the butt. Now it's a bit smoother through that transition, and doesn't break the tires loose as easily since there's a less harsh spike like before.

Finally, the BBi slave REALLY increases clutch pedal pressure. I feel like this is a topic that is danced around by the shops and people who just dropped $1K+ on either option. The clutch engagement IS predictable now, but the pedal pressure is very, very high compared to the factory assisted setup. It's shocking in the difference. I think this is a mod that people need to somehow experience before they pull the trigger. I'm glad to have it as it's another area of failure, but it's not nearly as pleasing in a daily driver mode as before. It's probably the stiffest of any clutch, stock or aftermarket, I've experienced. Buyer beware.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:30 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have done retrofit conversions for the clutch in the past. If your running a high pressure pressure plate. You are going to absolutely hate life because its extremely hard to push down something like the SRE clutch kit and when I mean it sucks it really really sucks.

I much prefer the stock setup to a manual configuration.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:01 PM
TeCKis300
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Perhaps someone can offer a comparison for the following:

There is a procedure to depressurize the stock assisted setup per the repair manual when doing any clutch work. Which is to pump the stock clutch at least 25 times. The pedal becomes considerably firmer once depressurized.

Can anyone compare the unassisted pedal pressure to the BBI setup? Would it be similar?
Old 02-01-2016, 11:34 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

IIRC, it is about the same as a GT2 in weight...I'll be doing a clutch accumulator later this week/weekend and will try to do a back-to-back vs my GT2.
FWIW, and trying to sound unbiased, but I think the GT2 clutch feel is massively better than a Turbo...but I do like heavy clutches as I feel they give better feedback/control
In heavy traffic there's argument for a boosted setup(but still prefer GT2), when 'driving' you don't feel the weight and there is simply no comparison...

Originally Posted by TeCKis300
Perhaps someone can offer a comparison for the following:

There is a procedure to depressurize the stock assisted setup per the repair manual when doing any clutch work. Which is to pump the stock clutch at least 25 times. The pedal becomes considerably firmer once depressurized.

Can anyone compare the unassisted pedal pressure to the BBI setup? Would it be similar?
Old 02-02-2016, 02:07 AM
TeCKis300
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rob, I can see where you are coming from and agree that it may be a good direction.

Problem is that most of us don't have a GT2 to comprehend what it might be light. Then to Fishey's point, those of us that have the heavier still SRE pressure plate...
Old 02-02-2016, 02:20 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

That's why I'll do a comparison later this week of a depressurized 6tt clutch vs my GT2 (has an uprated Spec unit but feels like oem weight), should give a reasonably close perspective of weights
Cheers
Rob

Originally Posted by TeCKis300
Rob, I can see where you are coming from and agree that it may be a good direction.

Problem is that most of us don't have a GT2 to comprehend what it might be light. Then to Fishey's point, those of us that have the heavier still SRE pressure plate...
Old 02-02-2016, 09:31 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Teck it feels like a normal turbo clutch when you don't have pressure assist when using the SRE pressure plate. As I said it's pretty unbearable.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:17 PM
BBiAutosport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thank you everyone for chiming in. Without over complicating the subject, both our technicians (who have test driven many Turbos and GT2s) have reported that a stock Turbo with our slave cylinder kit provides the almost the same pedal effort as a stock GT2, very much like the other kits on the market that simply adapts the OEM GT2 unit.

Without having a chance to test drive a stock GT2, it can be very hard to determine if this is an upgrade that will be suitable to one's preferences. Not to sound self-serving or biased, our staff and most of our customers likes pedal effort of our kit and the OEM GT2 but ultimately it is subjective. If one feels that the GT2 setup is too stiff, then this might not be ideal. However, the other way around this to decrease the pedal is to switch to the GT3 spring pack.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:19 PM
Drinaldis
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I think the confusion is the fact that most Turbo owners do NOT have a GT2 with which to compare. As an engineer, I would use a load cell to quantify the actual force needed to depress the clutch on a GT2 and stock Turbo and publish those numbers.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:41 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by BBiAutosport
Thank you everyone for chiming in. Without over complicating the subject, both our technicians (who have test driven many Turbos and GT2s) have reported that a stock Turbo with our slave cylinder kit provides the almost the same pedal effort as a stock GT2, very much like the other kits on the market that simply adapts the OEM GT2 unit.

Without having a chance to test drive a stock GT2, it can be very hard to determine if this is an upgrade that will be suitable to one's preferences. Not to sound self-serving or biased, our staff and most of our customers likes pedal effort of our kit and the OEM GT2 but ultimately it is subjective. If one feels that the GT2 setup is too stiff, then this might not be ideal. However, the other way around this to decrease the pedal is to switch to the GT3 spring pack.
How close is the 997 GT2 and 997GT3RS in terms of pressure? I have experience with the GT3RS and curious how it compares the the GT2. That being said, the gentleman that owns the GT3RS tried the clutch in my Turbo and thought his foot went through the floor.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:02 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Drinaldis
I think the confusion is the fact that most Turbo owners do NOT have a GT2 with which to compare. As an engineer, I would use a load cell to quantify the actual force needed to depress the clutch on a GT2 and stock Turbo and publish those numbers.
as a tractor trailer driver i can tell you any 10 yr old girl can push these clutches in. to many whiners about pedal stiffness around here!
Old 02-05-2016, 11:54 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

lol! any agree the GT2 clutch really isn't that bad, much lighter than a rig!
I just about put my foot through the floor on 6TT and other soft pedal cars...
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
as a tractor trailer driver i can tell you any 10 yr old girl can push these clutches in. to many whiners about pedal stiffness around here!

Quick Reply: BBi Autosport Porsche 996 & 997 Turbo Clutch Slave Cylinder Conversion Upgrade Kit