Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

996TT on eBay...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 10:59 AM
gophaster
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OP, sorry you were put through that. The quality/condition of the cars is all over the place and even low mile cars are not safe from this. All of this could have been avoided if the dealer was just honest. Thankfully you did not go even further out of your way and/or spend even more money only to be disappointed.

Regardless of mileage on the odometer we all know what "Super clean inside and out" means and I'm pretty sure that most of us can spot a super clean car as soon as we drive up to the dealer/parking lot etc (just as you guys did when you arrived). Normally, you can tell when a car has been cared for.

In this case they went a step further to say "Collector condition". All this just goes to show that anyone can type anything into an online advertisement. For example I could type "I am the King of England"...Seriously, I am the King of England

Everything in the ad has to be taken with a grain of salt from maintenance to condition and everything in between. You must get eyes on the car and steering wheel into your (or at bare minimum someone you can trust) hands before making a move.

Hopefully your post will help someone else from wasting their time on that car, or at least knows what to expect if they make an effort to go see it. Quality cars are out there...you just have to find them!

PS...were you able to do a dme scan on the car?? Would have been very interesting to see.

*I am NOT the King of England...lol...sorry
Old 01-05-2016, 01:38 PM
danspach
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PS...were you able to do a dme scan on the car?? Would have been very interesting to see.

Never saw a DME scan. Would have paid for one at Princeton Porsche if the rest of the car made it worthwhile. It did not.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:56 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by vogz
It is clearly a car with unknown modification and issues based on the OPs observations. An 03 with issues is not worth mid 50s or anywhere close to that. If you think it is, you are living in a fantasy world.
My assessment of worth is based on the description and pictures. Of course that figure always has to be adjusted based on an actual inspection. The radar detector, stereo, and exhaust don't impact the price much (if at all). The "oil leak" could be residual from a poor job of adding oil; it would take further investigation to determine what was going on.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:02 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

I noticed that ad when I was looking. Ads that are overly verbose and emphatic put me off big time, so only for a minute I thought of going to see it then decided not to. Plus I'm wary of dealers where a good part of the inventory is pickups and random old sedans.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:26 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

vogz - a bit of advice: learn to use the ignore feature. I was on Rennlist for 12 years before I started posting in here and had to use it for the first time.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:15 AM
vogz
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
My assessment of worth is based on the description and pictures. Of course that figure always has to be adjusted based on an actual inspection. The radar detector, stereo, and exhaust don't impact the price much (if at all). The "oil leak" could be residual from a poor job of adding oil; it would take further investigation to determine what was going on.
Even a perfectly clean 03 non X50 with those miles isn't worth mid 50s. I just bought 6 months ago, and the market has gone down (winter) since then. I was second in line on a mint, well optioned 03 6-speed with 15k miles and the asking price on that was $46K. All the clean, low mileage cars that were actually selling were below $50K.

OP also mentioned that the car in question had gouges in the finish and the spoiler button was broken.

Keep dreaming on that valuation.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:18 AM
vogz
Racer

Originally Posted by kcattorney
vogz - a bit of advice: learn to use the ignore feature. I was on Rennlist for 12 years before I started posting in here and had to use it for the first time.
lol, thanks.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:22 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

... a mint, well optioned 03 6-speed with 15k miles and the asking price on that was $46K. All the clean, low mileage cars that were actually selling were below $50K.
People just giving the cars away.

I've seen plenty of low mileage, clean examples offered in the mid to even high $50k's, some in the $60k's

OP also mentioned that the car in question had gouges in the finish...
As I said, an actual personal inspection can reduce the starting price.

... and the spoiler button was broken.
Right, that's gotta drop the price $3-5k...
Old 01-06-2016, 12:26 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

vogz - what model Porsche do you own?
Old 01-06-2016, 12:37 AM
vogz
Racer

People just giving the cars away.

I've seen plenty of low mileage, clean examples offered in the mid to even high $50k's, some in the $60k's
So have I. Just because people are asking those prices, doesn't mean they are selling at those prices. Asking price does not equal worth.

As I said, an actual personal inspection can reduce the starting price.
Common sense, but that still does't justify your ridiculous starting price.

Right, that's gotta drop the price $3-5k...
Relatively simple things like a spoiler switch that go un-reparied are a red flag on used cars. If the previous owner wouldn't even bother fixing a spoiler switch, what else was neglected?
Old 01-06-2016, 12:39 AM
vogz
Racer

vogz - what model Porsche do you own?
Polar Silver/metropol 03 Turbo 6-speed. Similar to your car.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:51 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

So have I. Just because people are asking those prices, doesn't mean they are selling at those prices.
What are they selling for?

And selling price does not establish actual worth. I've sold cars below market just to move them. Had I waited I could well have sold the cars for higher prices.

Common sense, but that still does't justify your ridiculous starting price.
It isn't a ridiculous starting price.

Relatively simple things like a spoiler switch that go un-reparied are a red flag on used cars.
Really? The switch could have broken while driving the car to the dealer.

If the previous owner wouldn't even bother fixing a spoiler switch, what else was neglected?
Well I guess the broken spoiler switch is the sure fire indicator that the whole car is a house of horrors. Thank goodness the stereo volume **** was intact or the car would have to be sold as junk/parts only.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:04 AM
vogz
Racer

What are they selling for?

And selling price does not establish actual worth. I've sold cars below market just to move them. Had I waited I could well have sold the cars for higher prices.

It isn't a ridiculous starting price.

Really? The switch could have broken while driving the car to the dealer.

Well I guess the broken spoiler switch is the sure fire indicator that the whole car is a house of horrors. Thank goodness the stereo volume **** was intact or the car would have to be sold as junk/parts only.

It's like I'm talking to a parrot. You need a new hobby.

Keeping thinking what you think. I actually lived the market for these cars this year.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:07 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

It's like I'm talking to a parrot.
Goes both ways...
Old 01-06-2016, 01:09 AM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There are a lot of clean looking cars with iffy carfax reports repaint on car/wheels etc that contribute to a cars price. Vogz any interior pics?

Quick Reply: 996TT on eBay...