Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DV Upgrade Reccomendations

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 07:10 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I went after market, but a lot go for the bosch upgraded dvs. Its all a matter of preference.
The aftermarket dvs will not get you any more power unless you go with some major boost.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:13 PM
John Gag
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
I went after market, but a lot go for the bosch upgraded dvs. Its all a matter of preference.
The aftermarket dvs will not get you any more power unless you go with some major boost.
Thank you!
Old 12-29-2015, 08:02 PM
Jeremy Wight
Instructor

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
"trany leak" might just be the rms how bad is "it"? and where does it emanate from? either way they have to drop/lower the trans to get at the rms but porsche has a "1/2/3 severity chart for it, in terms of severity of leakage. pray its just a bad rms!
Based on the PPI that I had done and what was confirmed at my local Indy shop, it's leaking ATF (as several other Tiptronic owners have had), between the transmission housing and the transfer case: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...id-leak-3.html
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ip-tronic.html

Unfortunately pulling the tranny is like 10 hours labor :/ I'm thinking about upgrading the Transmission Carrier Mount since I'm already going to have the tranny out http://www.suncoastparts.com/product//99737503303.html and it seems that could aid in it happening again.

but ( possibly wrong thread?? sorry ( as usual! ) but PLEASE post up your take on the v3 once you've gotten to "know it" as many of us see it and drool lol.

btw.. if i didn't get a chance prior to this to say "welcome"? i have now! i notice you're relatively new and have posted cool stuff already! so cheers.

..and PLS post about the cobb v3! when its "time"! TIA!
Thank you for the welcome! Stoked to be a Porsche owner, not even 6 months in and I'm fully addicted!!!

Will definitely give you a little test session write up once I've got the tranny fixed!
Old 12-29-2015, 08:45 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by John Gag
If the honking starts would you go with stock replacement or get the aftermarket?
If the DV's start honking, I suggest replacing them with Baileys.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:22 PM
BauerR
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 36 Posts

"If it aint broke, don't fix it!"
Old 12-29-2015, 09:29 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Suncoast has the trans mount part for $229, found it for $201.84
http://parts.byersporsche.com/p/Pors...sche_StockCode
Old 12-29-2015, 09:38 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy Wight
Based on the PPI that I had done and what was confirmed at my local Indy shop, it's leaking ATF (as several other Tiptronic owners have had), between the transmission housing and the transfer case: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...id-leak-3.html
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ip-tronic.html

Unfortunately pulling the tranny is like 10 hours labor :/ I'm thinking about upgrading the Transmission Carrier Mount since I'm already going to have the tranny out http://www.suncoastparts.com/product//99737503303.html and it seems that could aid in it happening again.

Thank you for the welcome! Stoked to be a Porsche owner, not even 6 months in and I'm fully addicted!!!

Will definitely give you a little test session write up once I've got the tranny fixed!
well, congrats on getting the car and being on top of the issues so quickly. i have NO experience with that tippy trans but you seem *uncharacteristically* undaunted and are a brave soul! opening ANY of the transmissions on these is not for the faint of heart!

so again, enjoy and welcome!..and yes, please! whenever you get round to that v3 review once you've familiarized yourself with it better? i'm sure many will be interested in it! it is after all, pretty much the state of the art for self tuning/changing files etc and logging, i would think!

enjoy the car! happy new year and...
Old 12-29-2015, 09:44 PM
gophaster
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

+1 .. I'm a firm believer in this! Unless I go beyond tune + exhaust (my plan is to only go this far, but you never know) I will probably just update to 710n if mine go bad.

Originally Posted by BauerR
"If it aint broke, don't fix it!"
Old 12-29-2015, 10:20 PM
Jeremy Wight
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
Suncoast has the trans mount part for $229, found it for $201.84
http://parts.byersporsche.com/p/Pors...sche_StockCode
Win! Thanks for the find!

Likewise sir,
Old 12-29-2015, 10:33 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Window weld the trans mount 20$
Old 12-29-2015, 11:35 PM
Jeremy Wight
Instructor

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
Window weld the trans mount 20$
Window weld? I've never heard of this. Can you explain? Would be excited about a $20 solution 😄
Old 12-29-2015, 11:39 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Window weld? I've never heard of this. Can you explain? Would be excited about a $20 solution dde04
Home depot its in the adhesives and caulk aisle. Caulking gun tube of window weld. 74 durameter rating. Tape one side of the rubber bushing and fill all the other side with w/w until it oozes out. Using a soapy hand smooth it on both sides and cure for 24 hrs. Mine was done 3 yrs ago still holding strong.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:53 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Window weld? I've never heard of this. Can you explain? Would be excited about a $20 solution ��
since it's "your" thread? you get to switch it btw dv's and t-mounts lol. the window weld mod that steve has mentioned performs much the same function as the these "function first brand" "inserts" do, but obviously are a diy as opposed to a drop in for sale "part". they would be easy enough to do as long as someone is a diy'r to get at the t-mount in the first place. they "tauten" up the intrinsic movement that still exists in the 997 t-mount owing to its design is the best way my non technical brain can explain it. no one i've ever heard of having done it has complained or has been unhappy with the results, whereas the function first "poly inserts" serve essentially the same function, but are obviously more expensive and are a "drop in solution" out of the box, and not stuff you're going to be squeezing out of a tube and allowing to "cure/dry. they are "made out of poly, inserts". that will achieve the same purpose. tightening up your drivetrain even further than it would, absent these mounts inserts which lessen the ability for movement.

that said, most find that the combo of a NEW 997 t-mount in concert with some GOOD NEW semi-solid motor mounts, and a better shifter ( e.g. a 997ssk/a numeric w/ cables etc etc ) will also help to tighten up the feedback of all of these component pieces. or you can go all the way and pick up pdwrhounds cup car cable setup now for $500 in his new AM thread on them, and steal them @ that price and you'll really be "tight and crisp" while shifting!

read up on the included PDF in that function first link i added below and you'll understand better the process. but bear in mind, that either will be achieving "much the same" eventual results. which ( again ) is tightening up one of the major ( of three ) points at which the motor is secured and will consequently "move" around helping to create more ( certainly at the least "lateral" "slop" ) and will help to tighten it up a LOT.

I've never heard of anyone complain about either the FF inserts OR the window weld "fill" of the open spots in the standard t-mount, it's more of a question of how involved in the "process" you want to be? drop in part? or DIY w a $20 tube and fill the open spaces yourself! either will be a boon to the tautness and feedback. but then, so will just the addition of a NEW t-mount in addition to NEW semi-soild motor mounts, without adding unbearable degrees or levels of added NVH which for a street car can be too much for some. track/canyon car? perfection.

so for more info? read up on the FF inserts below and click the PDF and do a google search on the window weld "mod" you'll understand better in what ways they perform much the same function! while being "different ways to skin that sloppy cat.

http://www.function-first.com/produc...s-mount-insert
Old 12-30-2015, 01:30 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

You are most welcome!
Old 12-30-2015, 07:02 PM
Jeremy Wight
Instructor

since it's "your" thread? you get to switch it btw dv's and t-mounts lol.
Didn't mean to swap the thread purpose, but man am I glad. That's some great info all! Much appreciated!!!

Quick Reply: DV Upgrade Reccomendations