Sponsored by:

Craigslist, EBay and Other Online Finds

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 11:56 PM
RClurg84
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jhiles03
I just personally looked at the car for a friend. I would highly recommend a PPI and looking at the rear end and the drivers side door alignment/ quarter panel. Sorry I did not take any pictures. Other than that the car looks clean... definitely need a PPI though...
I didn’t know about the accident and Steve (the owner) said it hasn’t had one. But I trust carfax and thanks for the info. I went and looked at it around 2pm today and I didn’t buy on the spot bc of the oil dripping off the transmission. I’d suggest a PPI also before dropping any funds on the car. I didn’t notice any paint color/gap differences. Records are available from 2005, he had a good stack of receipts that I skimmed through. I would want to know more about the accident and what is causing coming off the trans.

Old 03-31-2018, 12:05 AM
RClurg84
Instructor

Also there is a small dent on the fender lip drivers side. Visible in the picture I posted above. Also drivers side bolster shows a lot of cracks.

Last edited by RClurg84; 03-31-2018 at 12:31 AM.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:24 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,888 Likes on 1,536 Posts

Transmission leak is probably pentosin from a bad accumulator and/or slave.. Spoiler up might indicate bad ram cylinders. That cinnamon interior doesn't look nearly as good in pictures as I thought it might.

Add in the carfax blem and possible accident history, and IMHO it's definitely not a steal when you bake-in ram repair/replacement, slave cyl & accumulator, and the other things surely also needing attention if both of those items were never repaired.

Still, it's getting harder and harder to find anything decent under $45K, and the GT3 wheels are a plus (though not on the build sheet).
Old 03-31-2018, 01:43 AM
RClurg84
Instructor

Originally Posted by jhiles03
I just personally looked at the car for a friend. I would highly recommend a PPI and looking at the rear end and the drivers side door alignment/ quarter panel. Sorry I did not take any pictures. Other than that the car looks clean... definitely need a PPI though...
Originally Posted by pfbz
Transmission leak is probably pentosin from a bad accumulator and/or slave.. Spoiler up might indicate bad ram cylinders. That cinnamon interior doesn't look nearly as good in pictures as I thought it might.

Add in the carfax blem and possible accident history, and IMHO it's definitely not a steal when you bake-in ram repair/replacement, slave cyl & accumulator, and the other things surely also needing attention if both of those items were never repaired.

Still, it's getting harder and harder to find anything decent under $45K, and the GT3 wheels are a plus (though not on the build sheet).
Also forgot to attach the vin/options on the sticker under the hood. See next post. Spoiler rams are good, I put it up and left it there. No leaks on the bottom of the rams perfectly dry and no lights. Not pentosin fluid but probably gear oil, I’m guess here but probably missing a crush washer. Still want to get it on a lift to verify where it’s coming from. He had the slave cyl done recently by a very good shop here. Interior was good except for the bolster on drivers seat. He said the wheels were GT2s and I told him no, they are GT3s. The rear wheels are 18x11 not 18x12. But the biggest issue is the accident on carfax followed by the fluid on the transmission. We did start it up, sounds great. No timing chain noise and running stock exhaust. He does have a tune on it, said it was by RUF and getting 1-1.1 bar. Also has a RUF emblem instead of turbo behind the backseats. He wouldn’t let me test drive it since there is another buyer ahead of me asking for a PPI on Monday morning. But he will sell it if someone has cash on the spot, I said no I also would want a PPI or some time on a lift. And that’s before I knew about the accident.

Old 03-31-2018, 01:48 AM
RClurg84
Instructor

Old 03-31-2018, 01:59 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

Well, at that price and at this time of the year, the car won't last through the weekend.
Old 03-31-2018, 11:07 PM
vtgt
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Not sure if these are considered “deals” as per this thread, but they are local to me via craigslist. Not sure if anyone has looked at these or has any more info.

Dealer 03 Black 47k miles 6 speed at $47,9k, maybe HRE Wheels or knockoffs, but looks decent. CF interior package. It says new arrival but I swear it’s been listed for a few weeks.
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/ctd/d...529668390.html

private party 02 seal gray 60k miles 6 speed manual listed at $44,9k seems to have been listed for a bit so may have room to negotiate. Vin shows in second to last picture.
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/c...539727546.html

Ninja edit:01 on eBay with only 25k miles, current bid is $43k with bin at $52

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-Porsch...paJa4J&vxp=mtr
Old 04-01-2018, 04:43 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

On the PPI front, a couple of thoughts...

Sure, a thorough and top quality PPI is ideal, but:
  • Cash on the spot will get often get you a car that you might otherwise miss out on... Case in point above.
  • PPI scheduling is a often a pain, especially this time of year as good P-car shops are BOOKED...
  • PPI quality and thoroughness really varies, especially with their knowledge of issues highly specific to the 996 turbo...
  • Even with a PPI, your going to find things after purchase that were missed by the PPI, you can't avoid all risk with or without a PPI.
IMHO, If you are familiar enough with the common and major 996 turbo issues, you can do a pretty decent 'self ppi' with a moving blanket to throw on the ground, a flashlight, and a really thorough look. at the inside, outside, engine compartment, and what you can see of the underside yourself. Test drive as well, even if it means flashing the cash.

If you want to be even more thorough, get yourself a durametric to check for codes and overrevs and a semi-inexpensive paint meter to check for panel resprays (or learn how to spot them by eye), and you can do a more thorough PPI yourself in 30-60 minutes right in the sellers driveway than many PPI's I've seen...
Old 04-01-2018, 05:23 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vtgt
private party 02 seal gray 60k miles 6 speed manual listed at $44,9k seems to have been listed for a bit so may have room to negotiate. Vin shows in second to last picture.
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/c...539727546.html
This one looks very decent... 'Deals' really can't be found very often these days unless a seller makes a pricing mistake and you beat out the 800 other guys looking for a 996 Turbo in your market.

I do wonder why it hasn't sold already, but f it's as clean as it looks in the pictures and relatively issue free and I was local and looking, I would be over there today checking it out.
Old 04-01-2018, 07:28 PM
Fabling
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found this car the other day and thought it would be worth posting.

https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/d...511741008.html
Old 04-02-2018, 12:24 PM
moburki
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

On the PPI front, a couple of thoughts...

Sure, a thorough and top quality PPI is ideal, but:
  • Cash on the spot will get often get you a car that you might otherwise miss out on... Case in point above.
  • PPI scheduling is a often a pain, especially this time of year as good P-car shops are BOOKED...
  • PPI quality and thoroughness really varies, especially with their knowledge of issues highly specific to the 996 turbo...
  • Even with a PPI, your going to find things after purchase that were missed by the PPI, you can't avoid all risk with or without a PPI.
IMHO, If you are familiar enough with the common and major 996 turbo issues, you can do a pretty decent 'self ppi' with a moving blanket to throw on the ground, a flashlight, and a really thorough look. at the inside, outside, engine compartment, and what you can see of the underside yourself. Test drive as well, even if it means flashing the cash.

If you want to be even more thorough, get yourself a durametric to check for codes and overrevs and a semi-inexpensive paint meter to check for panel resprays (or learn how to spot them by eye), and you can do a more thorough PPI yourself in 30-60 minutes right in the sellers driveway than many PPI's I've seen...
I agree with this 100%. i did a PPI on my first P-purchase and found several little things that needed my attention that weren't found. Nothing mechanical luckily. Bought my turbo 4 months ago sight unseen after several conversations with the seller. Gained enough confidence, and sent a check out of state. It could have been a nightmare, I know.. But it wasn't. Full disclosure, haven't found a single thing that wasn't pointed out up front. Couldn't be happier with the purchase. It was a deal, and I knew I had to move or it would go after it got some internet traction. It was only listed on C-list at the time.
Anyway, not saying I wouldn't do a PPI again if need arises, but it doesn't completely mitigate risk.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:00 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by moburki
Bought my turbo 4 months ago sight unseen after several conversations with the seller. Gained enough confidence, and sent a check out of state. It could have been a nightmare, I know.. But it wasn't. Full disclosure, haven't found a single thing that wasn't pointed out up front. Couldn't be happier with the purchase. It was a deal, and I knew I had to move or it would go after it got some internet traction. It was only listed on C-list at the time.
Anyway, not saying I wouldn't do a PPI again if need arises, but it doesn't completely mitigate risk.
Same thing here with my car. Came up on ebay at about 8:00 am. I sent a non-refundable $1,000 deposit via wire transfer by 2:00 pm. A Jalopnik article on the car came out the next day. Went to see it in person in NYC four days later. Seller said after the deal that had I not put down the deposit, it would have went to someone else as his phone was ringing off the hook after the Jalopnik article came out.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:32 PM
wyo
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/c...549779850.html

$26K Spoiler is non operational and there is a small AT fluid leak - no records - Acquired buy selling dealer though dealer Auction in California
Old 04-03-2018, 06:53 PM
nelsontod
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

and 172000 miles!
Old 04-03-2018, 07:01 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wyo
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/c...549779850.html

$26K Spoiler is non operational and there is a small AT fluid leak - no records - Acquired buy selling dealer though dealer Auction in California
Yeah, but that engine is gonna need a rebuild in what, another 250,000 or 300,000 miles or so.

Quick Reply: Craigslist, EBay and Other Online Finds