Sponsored by:

Suspension Question (yes, I STFA)

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 06:21 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by autobonrun
From Mcbit's chart, there is another setup for 996's; the ones delivered ROW. This would have been the stock non-sport factory setting if not for the US DOT requirements. It's clear you can get some lowering by going with the ROW setup but it's not as severe as the X73.

I think if I do anything to my TTS suspension, it may be with the ROW springs.
holy restating that which has obviously been stated lol. i enjoyed the mcbit numbers also, and was shocked to learn i wasn't that far off with mine in my moderately inebriated posting state of last evening
Old 09-07-2015, 06:52 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50

with all and any due respect to macster ( who goes to a pORSCHE DEALERSHIP for EVERYthing. do NOT leave it stock unless boating is your main goal. criminy and blechhch!!!
You say that like it is a bad thing.

It was my dealer, a senior tech at any rate, who talked me out of putting in a high performance (factory) suspension kit in my Boxster. Said while the kit was great for the track it sucked on the road. Said this looking at nearly a blank check for the work/parts.

It was a senior tech who talked me out of redoing the suspension -- the links, arms, bushings/etc -- in my Turbo for much the same reason.

Guess the techs' larceny license expired...

Also, I'm the one who has put nearly 130K miles on his Turbo driving 2 miles to the Safeway store or 2000 miles to the old homestead. I've been on the best turnpikes anyone has to offer west of the Mississippi and on the worst roads this side of a middle east war zone all the way down some horrible wash-boarded road cutting across some Indian reservation 50 miles from nowhere. The road was so washboarded my eyeballs are still vibrating. And if I didn't have such good mental control I could easily shred nearly $2K in tires on the twisties without hardly venturing out of my ZIP code. I've driven these roads in 119F heat and temperatures so cold the thermometer was shivering so much I couldn't read the numbers, in blowing dust/sand or blowing snow or rain so bad I wanted to line up so I'd get a good seat on the Ark.

In call cases the stock suspension has kept the car on road, between the lines, and out of the weeds, retained the alignment and delivered good tire life, and all the while delivering a good quality ride to the point I can cover 500, 600, 750 or more miles in a day without feeling all beat up and wake up bright eyed the next AM ready for another 500+ miles.

There may be stiffer suspensions out there, harsher riding suspensions out there, suspensions best kept on a race track out there, but there are I seriously doubt any better suspensions out there for street use although everyone who has an aftermarket suspension of course touts his setup as the best in the whole wide world.

Trouble is knowing which of the who knows how many there are to chose from and all their variations is the one to get...
Old 09-07-2015, 08:10 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster

It was my dealer, a senior tech at any rate, who talked me out of putting in a high performance (factory) suspension kit in my Boxster. Said while the kit was great for the track it sucked on the road. Said this looking at nearly a blank check for the work/parts.

It was a senior tech who talked me out of redoing the suspension -- the links, arms, bushings/etc -- in my Turbo for much the same reason.

it was a master porsche tech from porsche of birmingham that built the 3.8 monster motor in the 2nd tt i bought. upon closer inspection the head studs were never retorqued. both heads have lifted. after opening up the motor the thrust housing was broken and rebolted in, the 6000$ fvd liners were installed improperly. the drivers side cylinder housing has a blowout that was never addressed, and the fuel system install was just pure garbage. how about twisted wires with electrical tape!he had a blank check from the previous owner to the tune of almost 50k$. ill take an honest indy shop any day over a stealership
Old 09-07-2015, 08:37 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
it was a master porsche tech from porsche of birmingham that built the 3.8 monster motor in the 2nd tt i bought. upon closer inspection the head studs were never retorqued. both heads have lifted. after opening up the motor the thrust housing was broken and rebolted in, the 6000$ fvd liners were installed improperly. the drivers side cylinder housing has a blowout that was never addressed, and the fuel system install was just pure garbage. how about twisted wires with electrical tape!he had a blank check from the previous owner to the tune of almost 50k$. ill take an honest indy shop any day over a stealership
Wow, just wow !!!

That's a shocker, I had a bad outcome as well from a stealership when I had my motor rebuilt under warranty for oil leaks. It ended up at my favorite indy who got it right and the stealership footed the bill 100%.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:29 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 404 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
holy restating that which has obviously been stated lol. i enjoyed the mcbit numbers also, and was shocked to learn i wasn't that far off with mine in my moderately inebriated posting state of last evening
More like restating my understanding so someone could correct me if I was wrong. Until now, I wasn't sure if there was a ROW setup that differed from the US version. I thought my factory options were US or X73.
Old 09-08-2015, 01:46 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

stock N.A. 996TT shocks/damper package is garbage...anything will be an improvement, I'd consider the Bilstein B6 or B8 shocks, likely the cheapest option at around $1100 and Bilstein is still a decent product with a lifetime warranty
Old 09-08-2015, 09:22 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by Macster

Also, I'm the one who has put nearly 130K miles on his Turbo driving 2 miles to the Safeway store or 2000 miles to the old homestead. I've been on the best turnpikes anyone has to offer west of the Mississippi and on the worst roads this side of a middle east war zone all the way down some horrible wash-boarded road cutting across some Indian reservation 50 miles from nowhere. The road was so washboarded my eyeballs are still vibrating. And if I didn't have such good mental control I could easily shred nearly $2K in tires on the twisties without hardly venturing out of my ZIP code. I've driven these roads in 119F heat and temperatures so cold the thermometer was shivering so much I couldn't read the numbers, in blowing dust/sand or blowing snow or rain so bad I wanted to line up so I'd get a good seat on the Ark.

In call cases the stock suspension has kept the car on road, between the lines, and out of the weeds, retained the alignment and delivered good tire life, and all the while delivering a good quality ride to the point I can cover 500, 600, 750 or more miles in a day without feeling all beat up and wake up bright eyed the next AM ready for another 500+ miles.

There may be stiffer suspensions out there, harsher riding suspensions out there, suspensions best kept on a race track out there, but there are I seriously doubt any better suspensions out there for street use although everyone who has an aftermarket suspension of course touts his setup as the best in the whole wide world.

Trouble is knowing which of the who knows how many there are to chose from and all their variations is the one to get...

it's only "bad" for ones wallet, and a disaster if one mods their car since they have to sit there at the little computer screen since if it isn't in their "book"? you're SOL. really. they are hardly "innovative" and ungodly and even yes, larcenously, expensive. their parts markup is btw 20 and 30%!! also, i don't care who picks me up or drives me home from the shop. porsche dealers notoriously SUCK. but to each their own.

add: see steves example for exactly what i am going on about. they CANT mod!, ( clueless without their little screen and pet diagrams ) so they tell EVERYONE DON'T! thats for real! last time in for ME they suggested i re-flash the car back to stock, i said adios and chuckled.

Last edited by "02996ttx50; 09-08-2015 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:27 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by autobonrun
More like restating my understanding so someone could correct me if I was wrong. Until now, I wasn't sure if there was a ROW setup that differed from the US version. I thought my factory options were US or X73.
was just winding ya up lol no harm no foul. i was actually amazed at my ability to reasonably differentiate the actual difference btw the MO30/x73, and row vs US specs. then mcbit, - master of the online charts - jumped in with some backup to confirm. the only reason Rest Of World ( far as i know ) IS different at all, is owing to our DOT requirements "here". i'm not sure the handling benefits are really even quantitative. but who knows! i've never had row height, but -2" is a GAS

cheers.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:33 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by 993GT
stock N.A. 996TT shocks/damper package is garbage...anything will be an improvement, I'd consider the Bilstein B6 or B8 shocks, likely the cheapest option at around $1100 and Bilstein is still a decent product with a lifetime warranty
100% b8 if you cant get mo30 and stock is for boating. well put. bilstein, well, how can ya go wrong?! the only issue is the constant fine tuning and most guys dont have track prep suspension tuners! but rather mom n pop car/tire stores that dont know sh*t from shinola when it comes to fine tuning an aftermarket setup. a recipe for disastrous and never ending trips into the alignment bay.

i can take a pss9 setup to my guys and not ask ONE question and it's a done deal. i just dont favor coils! and the gt3 stuff i have in boxes needs ( to be smart ) rebuilding/revalving. meaning more bread. ugh. so i wait with zero complaints with my current flat as hell, zero body roll setup hah!

Quick Reply: Suspension Question (yes, I STFA)