Sponsored by:

spoiler light coming on at 75mph after microswitch replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 08:32 PM
vogz
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default spoiler light coming on at 75mph after microswitch replacement

Just had my rear bumper replaced after some semi truck tread got kicked up from the side and got caught in passenger rear wheel well knocking the bumper mounting point on the rear quarter panel out. Body shop and I opted for replacement of bumper rather that plastic welding the eyelet on the cover. My body shop had to blend the rear 1/4s and the rear deck lid to match the bumper correctly.

Because of all of this they had to tear down the decklid and remove the spoiler assembly. Apparently the microswitches aren't reusable so they ordered new ones. They installed them today and still have the car, but they called me and told me that the spoiler light comes on when the spoiler raises and it needs to go to a Porsche dealer to be re-calibrated.

The spoiler worked perfectly before I dropped it off, and I trust my body shop as I've been using them for almost 2 decades for repairs and modifications. There are no hydraulic leaks.

Does it really need to go to the dealer?
Old 09-02-2015, 09:07 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by vogz
Just had my rear bumper replaced after some semi truck tread got kicked up from the side and got caught in passenger rear wheel well knocking the bumper mounting point on the rear quarter panel out. Body shop and I opted for replacement of bumper rather that plastic welding the eyelet on the cover. My body shop had to blend the rear 1/4s and the rear deck lid to match the bumper correctly.

Because of all of this they had to tear down the decklid and remove the spoiler assembly. Apparently the microswitches aren't reusable so they ordered new ones. They installed them today and still have the car, but they called me and told me that the spoiler light comes on when the spoiler raises and it needs to go to a Porsche dealer to be re-calibrated.

The spoiler worked perfectly before I dropped it off, and I trust my body shop as I've been using them for almost 2 decades for repairs and modifications. There are no hydraulic leaks.

Does it really need to go to the dealer?
If the body shop says so it does. Otherwise the body shop would attend to it.

For all mechanical work Porsche repair guidelines call for the work to be done by an authorized Porsche tech. When I had my 996 Turbo repaired after a mule deer incident I insisted all mechanical work be done at the dealer.

Afterwards no issues.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:18 PM
vogz
Racer

Originally Posted by Macster
If the body shop says so it does. Otherwise the body shop would attend to it.

For all mechanical work Porsche repair guidelines call for the work to be done by an authorized Porsche tech. When I had my 996 Turbo repaired after a mule deer incident I insisted all mechanical work be done at the dealer.

Afterwards no issues.
Thanks for the input. I'm going to pick the car up tomorrow and take it to Porsche myself to get the spoiler issue sorted out.

The reason I posted is that I've read countless threads on here about people working on their own spoiler systems and none of them mention needed a dealer calibration when done.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:04 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would think the switches could be reused? Hopefully insurance is covering the repairs and the dealer should fix you up.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:20 PM
vogz
Racer

Originally Posted by rmc1148
I would think the switches could be reused? Hopefully insurance is covering the repairs and the dealer should fix you up.
Yes, insurance is covering. Loving zero deductible comp coverage!
Old 09-02-2015, 10:34 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good deal I would let them fix everything and save any headaches= good luck.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:34 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vogz
Just had my rear bumper replaced after some semi truck tread got kicked up from the side and got caught in passenger rear wheel well knocking the bumper mounting point on the rear quarter panel out. Body shop and I opted for replacement of bumper rather that plastic welding the eyelet on the cover. My body shop had to blend the rear 1/4s and the rear deck lid to match the bumper correctly. Because of all of this they had to tear down the decklid and remove the spoiler assembly. Apparently the microswitches aren't reusable so they ordered new ones. They installed them today and still have the car, but they called me and told me that the spoiler light comes on when the spoiler raises and it needs to go to a Porsche dealer to be re-calibrated. The spoiler worked perfectly before I dropped it off, and I trust my body shop as I've been using them for almost 2 decades for repairs and modifications. There are no hydraulic leaks. Does it really need to go to the dealer?
NO. There is no calibration, this is pure BS. Once new switches installed, it should work fine. PM me and I'll send you my phone number to walk you through it. YOU DO NOT NEED TO TAKE IT TO THE DEALER.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:29 AM
vogz
Racer

Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4
NO. There is no calibration, this is pure BS. Once new switches installed, it should work fine. PM me and I'll send you my phone number to walk you through it. YOU DO NOT NEED TO TAKE IT TO THE DEALER.
Thanks Dave, If I can avoid a trip to the dealer that would be fantastic. PM sent.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:30 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4
It wasn't clear in my reply but I wasn't saying the thing needed to be calibrated, only that the dealer would be the place to have whatever was wrong with the spoiler fixed. It was clear from the OP's post the body shop was not up to the task.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:44 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The body shop has no clue - that is clear. They are parts replacers...at best - easiest answer is "go take it to the dealer" if it doesn't work first try.

Brian (Vogz) contacted me. First to learn more about my eRam kit - he's impressed, but probably doesn't need it (yet...). I can help him out. Walk him through the factory micro switch set up and logic. The concept is simple (even if flawed). The OEM parts are finicky - but if new and installed properly - should work ok. I fully understand the function, logic and wiring and can help him trouble shoot it to hopefully fix the cluster warning issue.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:48 PM
vogz
Racer

Thanks for all the help Dave!
Old 09-04-2015, 07:28 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The microswitches snap in place. If they dont seat correctly they will hit you with a failure light. If you cant get them to seat, a couple of wire ties around the switches and ram body pulled snug may fix your issue. They are located on the passanger side ram.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:46 AM
RangerDick
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The micro switches can be reused. They are under the "*****" shaped cover on the right ( facing from the rear) ram. It sounds like they cracked a hydraulic line and now have un-even rams or fluid level. That is when I know my rams have leaked or are not working. It is not that difficult a process to refill and rebleed, but your shop needs to figgure it out.
Old 09-05-2015, 01:44 PM
mat59
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine does the same and I have to use the button on the dash to get the spoiler to retract most of the time. On mine this is due to a rat nibbling through the wiring whilst the car was at the shop getting worked on for an unrelated fault. If you look in the engine bay immediately to the right behind the taillight you may be able to see if there is any issue with the spoiler wiring. Long shot but you never know.
Old 09-05-2015, 02:05 PM
vogz
Racer

Shop had told me that spoiler was going up and down normally, but finally got a chance to get to 75mph last night and it went up fine, but when I slowed back down it didn't come down, and manual control didn't work either. I had to actually turn the car off and back on to lower it manually.

So I talked to Dave this morning, and he was a great help. I took off the cover for the micro switches and the top one popped out or was already out. I tried zip tying it back in and the problem persisted. Looks like they broke one of the micro switches so it's going back to the shop. I'm going to show them that I know exactly how it works and they need to install a new micro switch CORRECTLY.

Quick Reply: spoiler light coming on at 75mph after microswitch replacement