Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's get a real maintenance thread

Old 08-25-2015, 10:41 PM
Jarm
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Let's get a real maintenance thread

A little backstory! Was abused by some new car dealers which lead me to start looking used. Never realized that a 996TT was within my price range, but before pulling the trigger on my new DD I need a better understanding of what yearly maintenance costs may run so that I may properly budget.

I did a bit of searching within this forum and found a few pieces of upkeep to be mindful of, but there's no sticky or compiled list with prices like in other forums. I saw someone mention that they used a spreadsheet to track and prepare for upcoming expenses. I found that to be a fine idea, but I'm a programmer and wanted to play with some new technologies.

As such a user will provide the number of miles on the vehicle (996TT) and the intended number of miles driven a year. I plan on taking a list of things that should be repaired, maintained, or replaced after X miles or every Y miles, and generating an expected monetary amount per year.

So with that! Help me compile a more 'official' list of what most 996TT owners may expect to do after however many miles. Let's presume we have a car with 100 miles on it. What do I do?! Then let's get it stickied!

• Replace oil - Every 5-6 thousand miles - $ value unknown
  • Replace tires - Every 12k Miles - Roughly $2k as I recall, any input?
  • Brakes - Every ? Miles - Cost approx $2k
  • Water Pump - Every 40k - $?
What else?!
Old 08-25-2015, 11:07 PM
jeanmarcboilard
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Let's get a real maintenance thread

There's probably a correlation with the amount of mods or horsepower and the increase in frequency of certain maintenance items.
I think you'll find that the majority of people here have varying degrees of modifications, and in turn, each will have different rates of maintenance intervals.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:10 PM
Jarm
Intermediate

Good point! However that's something that I may be able to factor into calculations.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:12 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Interesting first post.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:14 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jarm
...but there's no sticky or compiled list with prices like in other forums.
It might be because we aren't like other forums.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:15 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^Exactly?
Old 08-25-2015, 11:17 PM
Jarm
Intermediate

Yes, the 996TT forum is slightly different than the 997 or other various subsections of Rennlist.

While I appreciate your thoughts, these are the very comments in other threads that cause them to devolve from useful in the first two pages, to eight pages of two people bickering. So, please. If you have advice. Offer it. Otherwise, don't respond, and let my post get buried in age.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:28 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

So, please. If you have advice. Offer it.
I did (in an indirect but hopefully understandable way...if you think about what I wrote).

I think there have probably been lots of posts on this forum regarding what to expect in the way of maintenance. Costs on the other hand will likely be represented by a broad range, as owners take different paths and live in different parts of the country where mechanic pricing may vary.

BTW, what Porsche(s) do you own?
Old 08-25-2015, 11:35 PM
Jarm
Intermediate

Dock, if you're not going to directly answer my post above, please move on.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:44 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Dock, if you're not going to directly answer my post above, please move on.
What didn't you understand about my last post?
Old 08-25-2015, 11:52 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Agree with Dock as some people change plugs with every oil change etc. Seven pages to go lol.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:38 AM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 247 Posts

Age and Miles will require replacing the coils and plugs.
The clutch accumulator seems an age related replacement item. Radiators are a crap shoot based on maintenance and luck it seems. N75 valve, o-rings on boost hoses and possibly epoxy secured coolant flange failure.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:26 AM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This guys first post and already attacking. Not the best way to start a community let a lone a Porsche one. As you have stated you have visited numerous other auto forums this one is no different. What makes them great are the different opinions you will get from other enthusiasts. So give dock a break, he's one of the good guys. The exact question you asked has been answered hundreds of times. Search is you're friend.

You are asking for maintenance items in a very generalized fashion. How one drives, where they drive it, how often they drive it are going to yield different maintenance schedules. The easy ones are already well known. Oil, tires, ignition switches etc.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:37 AM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Good point! However that's something that I may be able to factor into calculations.

Name:  BA4B7EEB-BF8B-4074-AB63-B05B4561E42F.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  68.5 KB
Old 08-26-2015, 12:02 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

A little backstory! Was abused by some new car dealers which lead me to start looking used. Never realized that a 996TT was within my price range, but before pulling the trigger on my new DD I need a better understanding of what yearly maintenance costs may run so that I may properly budget.

I did a bit of searching within this forum and found a few pieces of upkeep to be mindful of, but there's no sticky or compiled list with prices like in other forums. I saw someone mention that they used a spreadsheet to track and prepare for upcoming expenses. I found that to be a fine idea, but I'm a programmer and wanted to play with some new technologies.

As such a user will provide the number of miles on the vehicle (996TT) and the intended number of miles driven a year. I plan on taking a list of things that should be repaired, maintained, or replaced after X miles or every Y miles, and generating an expected monetary amount per year.

So with that! Help me compile a more 'official' list of what most 996TT owners may expect to do after however many miles. Let's presume we have a car with 100 miles on it. What do I do?! Then let's get it stickied!

• Replace oil - Every 5-6 thousand miles - $ value unknown
  • Replace tires - Every 12k Miles - Roughly $2k as I recall, any input?
  • Brakes - Every ? Miles - Cost approx $2k
  • Water Pump - Every 40k - $?
What else?!
Based on my experience with my 2003 Turbo now with just over 137K miles the above is in some ways an unreal list.

Sure, oil/filter services every 5K miles. More than $200 now.

But rear tires last 20K miles, with strictly street driving. 12K miles (or less) is with the wrong alignment. Tire prices are too dynamic to quote even if I could remember them. Just noticed yesterday the front tires are getting worn. Time to replace I guess. Goody. Rear tires on the Boxster are worn too and a big old Godzilla of an El Nino -- read historic rain fall -- or not -- for my area, so good tires on both cars paramount. The way it works if I put on good tires the drought continues. If I try to get through the winter on worn tires it will be the mother of all rainy seasons. I can't catch a break.

Front brakes -- original -- were replaced at 120K miles. Rears (original) are still good. I can't recall the price to have the front brakes done. Dare I guess $1000?

Water pump done at 120K miles. I don't recall the price. At the same time I think I had the bad radiator fan motor replaced along with the front diff axle flange seals replaced because they were leaking.

RMS done in there somewhere and it was $1700. Mostly labor.

My car has gone through two sets of idler roller/tensioner roller bearings. I can't recall the cost now to replace.

Over the years two new radiator fan motors -- shaft snapped on one and the other was sucking down the amps but not delivering the air flow and was replaced. The shaft failure motor was replaced under CPO warranty. The other one I had to pay for but I can't recall the price. 3 new radiators at 130K miles. I can recall the price but don't want to. Still hurts to remember it...

Oh, new spoiler after 100K miles or thereabouts. $2000. That's an ouch too.

There is the plug change schedule. Every 24K miles? Or 36K miles? I can't recall now. But it gets done on schedule.

Coils are due. I'll have these done soon, before winter sets in. I do not know the cost.

Car has just over 137K miles and 127K of those I have put on since I bought it used in June 2009. That's around 21K miles per year of use since the car has been in my possession.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Let's get a real maintenance thread