Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E- Brake Release Button - Popped Off!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 08:56 PM
mtpcpa
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E- Brake Release Button - Popped Off!

Hi All,

I'm writing because the other day I took it to be detailed and the shop informed me that the E-brake release button accidentally popped off and it's no where to be found. They gave me a free detail and did some research on the cost of a brand new part, something like $1,200 without installation.

So we agreed that they could try to find a comparable E-brake from a junk yard to salvage the button to use as a replacement. They found one, but now we can't get the other button off. The E-brake itself is gray and my leather is black so replacing the whole part is not an option.

Would really appreciate if anyone could share thoughts on how to remove the 1" long silver release button from the replacement Brake?

Thanks!!
Old 05-21-2015, 08:59 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Free detail, sweet! Be great if it's a simple fix. Try the link

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...t-stay-up.html

Found this on another thread.
I just went out and took a look at my hand brake button. I twisted it a bit, and was able to pull it off. The base of the button has a small notch in it. When the notch is pointing directly down in the 6 o'clock position, I can take it off easily. I can twist the button just a bit (about the 6:30 to 7:00 position) when it is in place, and then I can't pull it off. But now that I've messed with the button, it doesn't seem as secure as it did before!

I guess that serves me right for not leaving well enough alone!
Old 05-21-2015, 10:45 PM
mtpcpa
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks --- and sorry to hear you're having issues.

I can't twist the replacement part version button at all...can't grip it and on extremely tight...did the 2002 996s have a different button than the 2003 996s???

Considering cutting the handle to get underneath cover and expose more of the button that way...

Other idea??
Old 05-22-2015, 12:37 AM
Atrox
Drifting

I wasn't personally having issues I found a few threads that were addressing the issue. Did the diagram help to understand the internals?
Old 05-22-2015, 12:41 AM
Atrox
Drifting

Try wrapping a rubber band around the button for grip/protection and get a pair of channel lock pliers or vise grips and use those to turn it.

Quick Reply: E- Brake Release Button - Popped Off!