Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 11:50 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 404 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by shhhzaammm
Well we all know the answer to this one:

"These two cars are identical and totally different at the same time"

They seem to do the same things but go about them in a VERY different manner.
I've been driving the 993 for years so I'm a bit biased. And the 993 has some mild mods so for the moment it's not exactly a fair fight

At first impression off the line the 996 is relatively....unremarkable? Help? Is it the heft of the cab or the K 24's? The 993 leaps off the line like a go-kart. The 996 is much much smoother but heavy feeling. I believe a tune will make it feel a great deal lighter. Both opened up and flat out over 40 mph I can't tell.... the 996 pulls hard and keeps pulling and pulling....very pleasantly impressive.

if you ask anyone else in the family it's no contest. It's all 996. Not even close. (I have a family of 3 women)

I'll definitely need some recommendations on tuning. I am partial to John at protosport. In fact it's probably a foregone conclusion. The 996 will visit him likely over the summer but what direction? He has a quick tune good for 575hp?.

The size of the 996 is far more comfortable for touring actually for anything. If you have any other purpose other than going for a spirited drive the 993 turbo is not the way to go very very much IMHO. 993 is just pure raw, you feel everything. Yes you can drive it every day but I think for daily use it's 996.
This 996 stock exhaust is loud at highway speeds. Louder than 993... and my 993 exhaust is wide open with headers, catless, and RSR empty mufflers ....and the 996 is louder over 60mph??? Unexpected. I like it.
But as far as comfort with anyone else in the car it's all 996. If you're alone it's 993.
For example, sit in the 993 straight up normal and fully extend your arm out over the passenger seat and you can easily put your hand on the passenger inside window with a flat palm and I'm no orangutan.....now that's cozy.

They're both satisfying in their own unique ways remarkably achieving the same things on paper. All in all a very happy home and a great addition...no brainer actually.
I know what you mean by identical but different. That's why it's easy to justify more than one. They do drive so differently. I also agree about the loudness. My turbo S is not quiet. Still trying to figure that one out.

By the way, do you know if the 993 turbo vs 993 turbo S has the same size differences in the turbos as does the 996?(eg. K24 turbos) . There is always lots of discussion about the ability of the 996 turbo to spool up faster. I don't seem to hear that discussion about the 993. Maybe because I don't frequent that forum as much but I don't recall seeing a discussion.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:37 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by autobonrun
My turbo S is not quiet. Still trying to figure that one out.
I have the Europipe Stage II Loud exhaust, and as it accumulated miles it got louder, producing a nice lower tone earlier in the RPM range...until I realized a few months later, when the sound started getting "worse", that it was in fact not my exhaust, it was both my front wheel bearings in the process of going bad. The sound the bearings made did not change with left/right loads, they just increased the sound they made as speed increased.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:07 AM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by autobonrun
I know what you mean by identical but different. That's why it's easy to justify more than one. They do drive so differently. I also agree about the loudness. My turbo S is not quiet. Still trying to figure that one out.

By the way, do you know if the 993 turbo vs 993 turbo S has the same size differences in the turbos as does the 996?(eg. K24 turbos) . There is always lots of discussion about the ability of the 996 turbo to spool up faster. I don't seem to hear that discussion about the 993. Maybe because I don't frequent that forum as much but I don't recall seeing a discussion.
Yup the 993 turbo s had k24s, an extra oil cooler, and 450hp in Europe (about 424hp in states just due to a different ECU I believe). I think that's the most hp they got out of the air cooled production cars. Can be tuned to 700+hp though prohibitively expensive.
Old 05-17-2015, 01:55 PM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Does anyone know what color my wheels are?

I don't think they are hyper-silver and I think others have commented that they are a bit darker color than most of the 996 turbo twist wheels.

(A crest has fallen off one of the wheels and one could buy the center cap with the crest for less than just the crest but i need to buy the correct color cap.)

and to further confuse matters the crests on the 996 are smaller than my 993....very strange.

....any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Joe
Old 05-17-2015, 02:46 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The wheels look like stock silver turbo twists.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:01 PM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Perhaps it's just the picture. In this photo they look like a darker twist. But does anyone know if Porsche just did one OEM finish on the 996 twists? (993 turbo vs 993 turbo S have different finishes on their twist wheels)

Originally Posted by Dock
The wheels look like stock silver turbo twists.
Old 05-17-2015, 05:56 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ridin Dirty
Perhaps it's just the picture.
I looked it up in the 2005 996 Turbo S Order Guide, and it says that the OEM wheels are "18" Turbo II wheels painted in GT silver metallic". The 2004 Order Guide does not specify the color of the wheels. This indicates to me that, like the 993 S, it has different wheel paint versus non-S 996 Turbos.
Old 05-17-2015, 06:43 PM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

I looked it up in the 2005 996 Turbo S Order Guide, and it says that the OEM wheels are "18" Turbo II wheels painted in GT silver metallic". The 2004 Order Guide does not specify the color of the wheels. This indicates to me that, like the 993 S, it has different wheel paint versus non-S 996 Turbos.
Thanks Dock I did find that GT silver metallic as well (I should have mentioned that), but I inferred that maybe all 996 twists were simply that color name.

Do you guys know the color of your wheel paint?
Old 05-19-2015, 10:30 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Great cars! Enjoy them in health.
As for tune, let me add my recc for Kevin at UMW.
He has his own exhaust now, I think (hint, hint...)
Old 05-19-2015, 10:44 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

Agree, except use EPL for tuning

Both.

This was the complaint of the auto magazines when the 996 Turbo first hit the streets; too refined.

Only one recommmendation from me...UMW.

Doesn't sound like it's a stock exhaust. When my 996 Turbo had its stock exhaust I couldn't believe how quiet it was.

Quick Reply: Turbo S now home with friend