Sponsored by:

Long Hoods and TT's: Mad Ramblings of The Dude

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 08:01 PM
Th Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool Long Hoods and TT's: Mad Ramblings of The Dude

I fear nostalgia is starting to get the better of me and I may have been bitten by the long hood bug. It's an insidious little creature not too dissimilar from that nasty earwig they used on Chekov in the Wrath of Khan. It's constantly whispering in my ear..."go back to simplicity, back to the basics...go light, be nimble, and most importantly be cooled exclusively by air."

Yeah, yeah...I know...I'm late to the game...late to the party....the ship has sailed. Trust me, I've been watching the long hood circus (along with everyone else) for the last 18-24 months. Unfortunately, I still find myself drawn to the mythological song of the pre-'73 sirens.

First off, I do have some experience with "older" Porsches...just not the air-cooled sort. My first was a 1986 1/2 928S. Had it from 2000-2010. Great, reliable car. Sold it to trade up to a pristine 1989 928GT. Sold that two years later to get the TT. Here we are three years later and I'm getting that nasty itch.

However, in order to accomplish the mission, I would need to sell my dialed-in 996tt. Having grown quite fond of this near flawless machine, I do not take the decision lightly. I would hate to make this swap only to discover later that I was delusional to think a 45 year old car could ever replace the supercar I now own.

Being a huge fan of the "chase", I find no harm in beginning the investigation process. Learn everything I can...make an informed decision. Right?

After several weeks of intensive "research", I feel compelled to mention what I discovered is that the positive chatter surrounding the 996tt appears to be on the rise.

Most of us already know that it's been building for a few months now. Articles and blogs such as, "Here’s Why The 996 Turbo Is The Best Porsche 911 You Can Buy" starting popping up late last year....
http://jalopnik.com/here-s-why-the-9...-ca-1665776219

It's also getting similarly surprising mentions in several of the online videos I've watched that were discussing the recent overall rise in classic, air-cooled, Porsche pricing.

Most notable of all, in my opinion, is the rising recognition of the 996tt by the air cooled Porsche community as a whole. I'm seeing more and more positive posts by many hardcore and long time air-cooled Porsche owners on the Rennlist 911 boards, the 993 boards, Pelican, etc. Some of these guys are adding 996tt's to their stables and have begun visiting (and contributing) to the discussion here.

After several years of being the red headed step child of sorts within the 911 community, I find it encouraging that the 996tt is getting the recognition it so well deserves.

That said, I still have this long hood earwig clamped onto my medula oblongata serenading me with air-cooled lullabyes.

Next on my list...I'll likely spend some time with my local indy over the next few weeks and pick his brain a bit on the subject. Although he works on all Porsche years and models, his specialty and heart is with the pre wasser box. He's already mentioned to me that he could likely find a customer for my 996tt, should I decide to go that route.

If anyone made it this far, feel free to chime in with your thoughts...on any of it. This'll be a free-form thread.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:41 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 247 Posts

I did '87 911 -> '06 987 S -> '02 996TT and then luck smiled on me and a 1980 911 joined the garage with the 996TT. But at no time did I think about changing the direction of those arrows... Admittedly I had many, many years of AC 911 ownership including a '73 before going to the water cooled platform, so the itch has been scratched pretty well.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:48 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would find a nice example and drive it if at all possible= if you haven't already done so recently. I say this as I too have had the itch to go back in time and then after buying find its not the same. I'm not saying they aren't great cars but the 996tt is a better drivers car in my opinion. I would keep the 996tt if at all possible and add the long hood.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:21 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 255 Posts

Would this be a daily driver or for weekend fun only?
Old 04-27-2015, 11:32 PM
Th Dude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rmc1148
I would find a nice example and drive it if at all possible= if you haven't already done so recently. I say this as I too have had the itch to go back in time and then after buying find its not the same. I'm not saying they aren't great cars but the 996tt is a better drivers car in my opinion. I would keep the 996tt if at all possible and add the long hood.
It all started when I had my car in the shop last year. While at the shop, I saw several early cars in mostly original condition. Stuck my head inside one and was instantly taken back to my childhood when I smelled the interior. You know the smell.

Originally Posted by autobonrun
Would this be a daily driver or for weekend fun only?
DD. The good news is, I only drive 4-5K miles/yr.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:46 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,437 Posts

I agree, the driving experience might it match the desire he feels.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:49 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Yes the smell of the leather pure heaven lol.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:23 AM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

They will complement each other, not replace. As a DD, you can't beat the 996tt. A longhood is a great drive, especially if it is an open road with lots of curves. In traffic, not so much.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:48 PM
Th Dude
Burning Brakes

With the added UMW tune, new X73 suspension, Europipe, and numeric shifter...the TT seems to do everything right. It sounds great, responds instantly, and hugs the corners like a baby chimpanzee. I have FUN, every time I drive it.
I wouldn't hesitate to take it cross country and back at a moments notice.

The $20K I dropped on her last Fall had me pining for something less complicated, less demanding. Today's cars just have so many things that can go wrong. I imagine the same holds true for a 45 yr. old "classic". It's the ol' "grass is greener" dilemma, not doubt.

In all likely-hood I'll continue to admire the long hoods for their simplicity and nostalgia, but will probably keep the TT since it is near perfect in every situation. That is....until it demands another $5k-$10k....we'll see how I feel then.

In the meantime, I'll be in semi/pseudo "chase" and research mode on the long hoods and hopefully that will satisfy part of the itch...for a while anyway.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:52 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Shopping sometimes ends up being the best part of a new car= been there sadly. Your a smart guy you'll do the right thing..
Old 04-28-2015, 05:44 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

dude i messed with some badd A** a/c's 911's some rs's and the like up here on mulholland early sunday!? there was a meet hadda be 30 all a/c so you're not alone! i miss the sh*t outa my 275bhp 993! seriously!

in other news, i finally found a good 10 pounder to finish of my front wheel and tire which forced me into the last set of the gt2 sized OZ alleegerita's in anthracite grey with p zeros mounted ..oh goody hah

but the bad news...! so..i had to cancel my room which was booked at the capri !lol for our ride FRIDAY!! its always something dude. always something
Old 04-29-2015, 01:11 AM
Nico911
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Longhoods are very special, no doubt about it, but the prices these days for these cars are just too high for what they have to offer in my opinion. I use to drive my dad's 1972 911E so I know how a pre '74 feels. But if money is no object, I would suggest you keep the tt in addition of a (horribly expensive) longhood.

My two cents.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:09 PM
Th Dude
Burning Brakes

Shopping sometimes ends up being the best part of a new car= been there sadly. Your a smart guy you'll do the right thing..
Thanks for the vote of confidence, rmc. I think I may just be missing "the chase" more than anything.

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
dude i messed with some badd A** a/c's 911's some rs's and the like up here on mulholland early sunday!? there was a meet hadda be 30 all a/c so you're not alone! i miss the sh*t outa my 275bhp 993! seriously!

in other news, i finally found a good 10 pounder to finish of my front wheel and tire which forced me into the last set of the gt2 sized OZ alleegerita's in anthracite grey with p zeros mounted ..oh goody hah

but the bad news...! so..i had to cancel my room which was booked at the capri !lol for our ride FRIDAY!! its always something dude. always something
Sorry you won't be up this weekend. How did you fare vs. the a/c's before you lost the wheel?
On my way to the farmers market last Sunday, I see a white long hood in the rearview. He gets alongside me at the next signal and tells me "nice turbo". He then goes on to say he just finished a 1200 mile "rally" and his *** was sore.

Originally Posted by Nico911
Longhoods are very special, no doubt about it, but the prices these days for these cars are just too high for what they have to offer in my opinion. I use to drive my dad's 1972 911E so I know how a pre '74 feels. But if money is no object, I would suggest you keep the tt in addition of a (horribly expensive) longhood.

My two cents.
Thanks for the input, man. It's good to hear from those who've lived both sides of this coin. I'm certainly leaning towards keeping the turbo. Torque on demand is a good thing. We'll see if those long hood prices ease up over the next few months...or not.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:51 PM
Tuxiemama
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As soon as our phoney ballonet zero interest rate bubble pops you will NOT WANT to be the idiot holding the parcel in the game of pass the old car parcel game

FWIW I am never wrong

If you buy a car and plan to drive it then great
Old 04-29-2015, 08:29 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Th Dude
Thanks for the vote of confidence, rmc. I think I may just be missing "the chase" more than anything.

Sorry you won't be up this weekend. How did you fare vs. the a/c's before you lost the wheel?
On my way to the farmers market last Sunday, I see a white long hood in the rearview. He gets alongside me at the next signal and tells me "nice turbo". He then goes on to say he just finished a 1200 mile "rally" and his *** was sore.

Thanks for the input, man. It's good to hear from those who've lived both sides of this coin. I'm certainly leaning towards keeping the turbo. Torque on demand is a good thing. We'll see if those long hood prices ease up over the next few months...or not.
bro these guys ae driving flat out singers and rs's up here. puts us to shame ( well, maybe not

we were just crusin LOTS of chp. they yelled at me on speaker to move my car from parking lane... that wasn't hah. its a gas every weekend up here. the ssssssnake on mulholland hwy missed j leno this week tho. nbd lol

Quick Reply: Long Hoods and TT's: Mad Ramblings of The Dude