Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cabriolet right rear knocking when turning right

Old 03-16-2015, 10:17 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Cabriolet right rear knocking when turning right

Exiting my neighborhood there is a gutter that I need to slow a bit for then a right turn and an immediate down grade for about 500 feet. Then another 90 degree right hander.

Both of these right hand turns, 10-20 MPH cause a knocking sound almost like a pendulum swinging a weight. There are 3-4 successive knocks and they only come from the right rear behind the rear seat area.

One time I though it was a rear suspension component but all that has been replaced with coilovers, dogbones and sway bar. I checked everything else suspension wise and it's OK.

It doesn't happen when turning sharply right on a totally smooth road or in the canyon twisties. Never happens when turning left under any circumstances. It seems to happen only when the suspension may have been loaded momentarily and possibly unloaded too.

I'm thinking possibly a seat belt device or roll bar activation component?

Any ideas?
Old 03-16-2015, 10:20 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,387 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Motor mount(s).

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 03-16-2015, 10:36 PM
nick49
Drifting

Thanks for the quick reply. Is that a guess, a most likely, or with a degree of certainty?

My car has 27K miles, started with less than 20K. Never tracked, always garaged, not driven in inclement weather, previously a Las Vegas car. Not doubting you, just thinking they should last a bit longer under those conditions.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:41 PM
LexVan
Banned

It was my WAG.

Top up? Top down? Same?

Buckle the rear seat belts. Any better?

Old 03-16-2015, 10:48 PM
nick49
Drifting

Top up for sure, I'll try top down and buckling all seat belts around a pillow.

Thanks again, I'll post results when tried.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:51 PM
LexVan
Banned

Blip your throttle and have someone stand behind (or video with your phone) and observe if the exhaust tips dip excessively. If they do. I'd WAG again motor mounts.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:16 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by nick49
Exiting my neighborhood there is a gutter that I need to slow a bit for then a right turn and an immediate down grade for about 500 feet. Then another 90 degree right hander.
So there is no knocking during any other right hand turns?

Are both of the right hand turns you describe downhill?
Old 03-18-2015, 11:37 AM
nick49
Drifting

The first turn is a slight down grade, the second more so. The common factor in both is the gutter before the first turn and slightly bumpy pavement before and in the second. The suspension is loaded and unloaded while in both turns. I'm thinking that's why it never does it on smooth roads even if driven aggressively. I have noticed it happen a few times in other areas too and it always happens with rough pavement while taking a turn.

Also I have had my top half way up in the service position and took a look under and around looking for something amiss and could nothing.
Old 03-22-2015, 01:00 AM
nick49
Drifting

Drove my car first time since my original post, top down, no passengers with all seat belts fastened. I drove the route that triggers the knocks and all was quiet. I also noticed the car much quieter than normal over rough road sections and bumps all the way into work today.

For now, I'm convinced the majority of the knocking sound has to do with seat belts in the retracted mode. I believe there is a pendulum mechanism that senses cornering inertia and locks the belt tight. I have felt this when driving somewhat aggressive. If I lean more I shall post my findings.

Thanks Lex for the buckling belt idea.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cabriolet right rear knocking when turning right