Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 06:04 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,232 Likes on 1,441 Posts

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
like i said, some of our cars are stiffer than others

thanks for undercutting much of this argument with the note of one simple yet unavoidable "fact"! that the 996gt2 only became available in MY '02.

mcbit? i have this admittedly vague theory ( wholly unsupported by "evidence", other than "anecdotal which i do readily admit, hence it is indeed just a "theory" ) that as the porsche 996 turbo became "more affordable" over these many ensuing years,.. ( along with the lower prices and accompanying lower barrier to entry of "ownership" ) a phenomenon has occurred marked by a certain class of buyer decidedly identified simply by their distinct absence of critical thinking skills, which are expressed daily in the 996 turbo forums. compare the current contributions to say, ones from 02 and up to maybe 08 when i began reading them as an owner, and the difference in content is markedly different, if not the topics themselves.

i could well be "wrong", but i don't think so, and ironically if someone doesn't "think" they "could" be wrong? they won't be, and not much can change that. it's like the inherent difficulty in "implying" something to a moron. it is by definition difficult best, at worst pointless, and most assuredly, ain't gonna happen lol

fortunately, it appears that carlo carrera is seemingly not among this aforementioned class of folks, as i believe he sees the error of his "position".

not that any of it ( facts ) really matter one bit. by way of example, has anyone spent much time in 991 turbo or gt2rs forums ( or their equivalent ) and happened to even accidentally compare the general level of discourse!?

the difference(s) are at times astonishing to me, and i'm one of the "dumb" ones lol. ...but...

unbelievable, really.

last thought, carlo. it's not as if you are/were "wrong", but the vehemence with which you denied the mounting evidence that supports the idea that indeed has been mounting, regardless of "our" lousy choice(s) of internet articles that chassis stiffness was in point of fact, increased from year to year 01/02 was what i took most exception to, and disagreement with.

we're all wrong about stuff from time to time. this was just your turn, i say... NEXT! lets argue about, i dunno.. oiled filters or something serious!

ADD: this had/has no point. i am here to learn and practice my typing skills, as although i have a stiffer than most, chassis? it's use it or lose it when it comes to thinking/typing. ha so this is just a rant.. /off.
I honestly did not think there was "vehemence" in my defense of my opinion.

And now that jumper has posted what he has posted I am back believing in my original opinion that 2001 Turbo has a stiffened chassis. Those quotes there are from Porsche themselves.

I am still going to check for the reinforcement in the rear seat area next time my car is on a lift and will document it with photos.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:09 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

So basically post #10 and #23 explains it best. At best I only see the high strength tube added and the marketing statement doesn't clarify anything of what it was compared to nor does it detail torsional or bending stiffness like the 2001 press release does.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:57 AM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
another one
http://porscheclub.blogspot.ca/2011/...urbo-2001.html

above was probably taken from this one
http://press.porsche.com/archive/pro...o_In_Depth.pdf

Body Structure
Like a house, a car is only as strong as the foundation on which it is built. Commonly called a "chassis," the foundation really encompasses the car's body structure, front and rear suspension and brake systems. Just as a solid foundation provides the basic integrity and strength in a house, a car's foundation largely defines its handling responsiveness, passive safety capability, ride comfort, and long-term durability. "The stronger the better" applies equally to the foundations of houses and cars.

Porsche has achieved significant gains in body stiffness over the previous-generation Porsche 911 Turbo, increasing torsional stiffness in the 2001 model by 49 percent and bending stiffness by 82 percent.

GT3 Chassis Parts
The 2001 Porsche 911 Turbo offers a combination of handling response and everyday ride comfort not usually associated with cars of its performance level. The Porsche 911 Turbo is equally adept at commuting as it is at shining at high-performance racetrack driving events. Compared to the previous Porsche 911 Turbo, the new model features a 3.2-inch longer wheelbase to accommodate new crash structures and to improve stability and ride comfort. Although the suspension layout is the same as in the 911 Carrera, the 911 Turbo adopts several parts from the 911 GT3 (a normally aspirated, limited-production model not imported to North America), including mounting points for the car's main systems and the longer rear track control arms.
The previous generation turbo was the 993 and yes all 996s were substantially stiffer than than the 993s.

The 2001 turbo bodyshell is a c4 body shell.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:50 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
I honestly did not think there was "vehemence" in my defense of my opinion.

And now that jumper has posted what he has posted I am back believing in my original opinion that 2001 Turbo has a stiffened chassis. Those quotes there are from Porsche themselves.

I am still going to check for the reinforcement in the rear seat area next time my car is on a lift and will document it with photos.
you're entitled to your beliefs, as am i. doesn't make either of us right, in any definitive way, but that's just a general point i am making.

as to the chassis being stiffened from MY 01 to 02, i would again suggest your denial of what has pretty much been established as fact "was" ( i say "was" because i sense a reasonable backpedalling which i think is wise given what has been presented to you here ) without merit and i would still describe as "vehement", but who cares!? it's a word..

but you get into some slippery semantical territory with this notion of the 01 turbo chassis being "stiffened". well, it was "stiffened" relative to previous iterations! but that has absolutely zero impact on the OP's original question with which you have argued against with, well. vehemence lol.

so if you're really?! going to look under your car next time it's on a lift in an effort to locate this mythical stiffening of your MY 01 chassis? my only advice at this point would be:

don't be that rob lowe.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:15 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by rmc1148
A lot of truth but a little mean spirited= that I have come to expect and accept .
i'm sorry to read of your car being tentatively sold, or will be sold. whatever. i've enjoyed much of our banter since your arrival "here". my postings may at times ( often/always/regularly, or frequently pick one.. or many ) seem "mean spirited", but that has never been my intention, but is rather a larger reflection of my personality as a whole. so why should it be different behind a keyboard. i don't come to the couple of chat boards i frequent to make "internet friends" per se, or to make enemies either, and yet there are many upon whom i can call upon for help and/or advice as needed as a direct result of my participating here and elsewhere so vigorously and so often. which is an unexpected benefit i never really anticipated and yet am thankful for.

but i come here to learn, share what i've learned, and even moreso, KILL TIME ( probably much like yourself? ) but i do not suffer fools gladly, and am quick to point out things or statements i find to be foolish and i would expect the same from anyone. should i let roughly 90% of what i object to pass? sure, probably. but so what.

so anyway.. good luck with your impending sale, and may all your future acquisitions stay in the shape i am sure you maintain them in and please take this side note which should probably have been PM'd, in the spirit in which it was intended.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:38 AM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not for sale yet but more then likely soon. I worked with some of the toughest guys you would ever want to meet and managed a small portion of them so I'm use to conflict and controversy. If your thin skinned any forum is not a good idea lol. Typing skills and being well worded helps but it doesn't always prove the true intelligence and for sure character of a person. Your a good guy that just likes the controversy a little more then average. You can put a sentence together with the best of them.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:46 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

i do enjoy verbal/written thrust and parry lol. enjoy your day.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:12 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mcbit
The previous generation turbo was the 993 and yes all 996s were substantially stiffer than than the 993s.

The 2001 turbo bodyshell is a c4 body shell.
Right and it wasn't using the 996.1 C4 shell. I believe the 25% stated in the marketing is compared to the 996.1 and also it could be some form % flectional and
and torsional strength to equal 25% and not 25% is each area. for example 10 flex and 15 torisional.

The other thing that would be very hard to believe it that a 2002 Turbo was increased by some 74% and 107% over the a 993.

Also
This same press release marketing was done in 2002 to promote the 996.2 changes. Something missing from the first aritical was piece about the "Body 911 Carrera/911 Carrera 4" that the 2002 C2/C4 body shell also has exactly the same info when it comes to the reinforcement measures.

Body 911 Carrera/911 Carrera 4

Bodyshell

Extensive reinforcement measures in sill, roof frame and seat pan area increase the flectional and
torsional strength by a further 25% on coupes and by 10% on convertibles.
Apart from the wings, which have been adopted from the 911 Turbo, the bodyshell has been
modified in various areas for model update purposes.
The B-post has been modified to take the new belt tensioner and belt-force limiter. In the tunnel
and seat pan area, an additional tube with side support has been fitted for lateral reinforcement.
The tunnel area has been modified to take the new (Tiptronic S) transmission. The position of the
transmission mounting on the body now corresponds to the 911 Turbo.
A reinforcement tube has also been fitted in the side of the roof frame.

Bodyshell 911 Turbo/911 GT2

Extensive reinforcement measures in sill, roof frame and seat pan area increase the flectional and torsional
strength by a further 25%.
The bodyshell has been modified in various areas for model upgrade purposes.
The B-post has been modified to take the new belt tensioner and belt-force limiter. In the tunnel and seat pan
area, an additional tube with side support has been fitted for lateral reinforcement.
A reinforcement tube has also been fitted in the side of the roof frame.

All this leads me to believe the 2001 was the basis of the 2002 body shells going forward with the only exception that post #10 piece added.

I also found this: In 2003 the Convertible arrived, its reinforced B-pillars and other mods raisedthe weight by 70kg
Old 02-07-2015, 02:26 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
you're entitled to your beliefs, as am i. doesn't make either of us right, in any definitive way, but that's just a general point i am making.

as to the chassis being stiffened from MY 01 to 02, i would again suggest your denial of what has pretty much been established as fact "was" ( i say "was" because i sense a reasonable backpedalling which i think is wise given what has been presented to you here ) without merit and i would still describe as "vehement", but who cares!? it's a word..

but you get into some slippery semantical territory with this notion of the 01 turbo chassis being "stiffened". well, it was "stiffened" relative to previous iterations! but that has absolutely zero impact on the OP's original question with which you have argued against with, well. vehemence lol.

so if you're really?! going to look under your car next time it's on a lift in an effort to locate this mythical stiffening of your MY 01 chassis? my only advice at this point would be:

don't be that rob lowe.
Dude, I just want answers. And you seem not be reading my posts very carefully because are saying I said things I have not said. Now that I know exactly where the seat pan stiffening is I can get the answers by looking for their presence.

That is the Rob Lowe I am. That is the Rob Lowe everyone should be.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:35 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

All this leads me to believe the 2001 was the basis of the 2002 body shells going forward with the only exception that post #10 piece added.
This plus the other Porsche press releases you posted are what I was told when I did my research before I bought my Turbo. But no one I talked at Porsche mentioned the additional stiffening pieces from post #10 being added for 2002. I should be able to see or not see the seat pan pieces easily with the car on lift so that finally clarify this all.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:02 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Right and it wasn't using the 996.1 C4 shell. I believe the 25% stated in the marketing is compared to the 996.1 and also it could be some form % flectional and torsional strength to equal 25% and not 25% is each area. for example 10 flex and 15 torisional.
Here is part of the body shell statement from 2001; note that it uses the 993 as a comparison and not an earlier 996 body shell. (Because there wasn't on)

Also
This same press release marketing was done in 2002 to promote the 996.2 changes. Something missing from the first aritical was piece about the "Body 911 Carrera/911 Carrera 4" that the 2002 C2/C4 body shell also has exactly the same info when it comes to the reinforcement measures.
That's because exactly the same mods were made to all of the coupe body shells.

The "Technical Service Information" is a very structured document which goes through each section of every model and states the changes made for that model year:

like this

or this

If no changes were made:

it presents this statement

apart from the reinforcement tube shown in post #10, if you can be bothered to check PET for both the 996 and the 996T you will find that the part number for the seat well assembly until MY01 is the same in both models, whilst from MY2002 onwards, for the same part, both the 996 and 996T have the same, but different, part number. I would find that a bit odd if no changes were made.

Old 02-09-2015, 02:05 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mcbit
Here is part of the body shell statement from 2001; note that it uses the 993 as a comparison and not an earlier 996 body shell. (Because there wasn't on)

That's because exactly the same mods were made to all of the coupe body shells.

The "Technical Service Information" is a very structured document which goes through each section of every model and states the changes made for that model year:

like this

or this

If no changes were made:

it presents this statement

apart from the reinforcement tube shown in post #10, if you can be bothered to check PET for both the 996 and the 996T you will find that the part number for the seat well assembly until MY01 is the same in both models, whilst from MY2002 onwards, for the same part, both the 996 and 996T have the same, but different, part number. I would find that a bit odd if no changes were made.

Again I am not trying to be a jerk, just looking for clarity.

In the statement above on the 2001 turbo body it says it is based on the C4 chassis. To me the word "based" means the 2001 turbo chassis had been altered in some way from the C4 chassis.

What do you think? Is this use of "based" just a reference to modifications for the beefier Tip trans? If the 2001 used the exact same chassis as the C4 wouldn't the statement say "the 996 Turbo uses the existing C4 chassis"?
Old 02-09-2015, 03:04 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

I found this on the 996.1
http://porschedata.com/911-996/

1998 Porsche 911
Despite larger dimensions, Porsche engineers were able to built Porsche 911 996, 110lb lighter than its predecessor while torsional stiffness increased 45 percent and bending stiffness increased 50 percent.
Believe the source was

The 1998 Porsche 996 coupe has a torsional rigidity of 20,120 N-m deg^-1 (Ludvigson, Carl, Excellence was Expected, page 1381). This is 45% greater than 993 (Becker, Clauspeter, Porsche 911 -- The Evolution, page 121).

Also
Porsche 996 essential companion, Page 320

The 2001 Turbo exceeds this 25% stated in 2002 marketing with a 49 percent torsional stiffness, 82 bending stiffness
Old 02-09-2015, 04:55 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Think the article Porsche data.com is not very accurate. The base 996 for 1999 had 296HP, the HP was upped by a change in the exhaust system to 300HP for model year 2000 not 2001 as the article reads. So I suspect the source of information?
Old 02-09-2015, 11:08 PM
DougM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pardon my ignorance, but why is it a big deal if the '02 and up have some additional rigidty or not. My previous 930, 993tt and now my 2001 996tt jar me on the street over bumps in stock form. Unless you seriously track a car, is this really a big deal? What is the benefit even if the '02 up are stiffer? I have not read here or anywhere else that someone tracking or dragging an '01 have torn their car to pieces or that an '02 up is any faster. To whom does this really matter if purchasing or selling a car???

Quick Reply: 2002 Turbo changes from 2001 model