Sponsored by:

carbon fiber trim

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 11:07 PM
otolith
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carbon fiber trim

I am looking to replace the carbon fiber trim on a 03 996 tt. It has curled on itself and is peeling off. Any suggestions regarding repair or replacement. I have not found an ideal replacement on either suncoast or pellican.

The trim in question is on the dash hugging the windshield.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:25 AM
RDS928S
Rennlist Member

Received 677 Likes on 307 Posts

www.macarbon.com
www.dbcarbon.com

DB in Germany has really good pricing.

Good luck
Old 09-18-2014, 11:14 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll vouch for MAcarbon. Highest quality. Mine's been on car for over 10 years, not an issue. No fading, peeling, nothing. For sun-exposed areas I'd recommend this product- 303 Aerospace protectant.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:53 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by jbossolo
I'll vouch for MAcarbon. Highest quality. Mine's been on car for over 10 years, not an issue. No fading, peeling, nothing. For sun-exposed areas I'd recommend this product- 303 Aerospace protectant.
++++exactly
Old 09-19-2014, 12:05 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yup typical. I replaced mine, found them on ebay for around $300 each. If you buy from the dealer on the internet expect to pay $600 each. You can remove the entire trim piece use some gorilla glue sparingly, heat up the carbon strip and clamp. I do mean use the gorilla glue sparingly since it expands and turns white when dry. Moisten the trim piece where the carbon fiber sits, and apply very thin bead of gorilla glue to the center of the defroster trim pieces, then clamp. the carbon fiber has to be heated to sit down evenly. Hair dryer works.

Its easy to remove the trim piece, you have to remove the side vent, pull it out, remove the alarm lens, then the A column trim by pulling on it, then the trim piece pulls out.

Another alternative, buy the trim on ebay without the carbon fiber trim and replace, or go after market like someone said Macarbon or ROTec.

Last edited by Kevinmacd; 09-19-2014 at 12:28 AM.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:55 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 307 Likes on 213 Posts

I restored mine and it came out perfectly. It's been on 3 years now with no issues, many days in the hot sun. I just peeled the original CF off the leather dash and then the clear coat came right off by running the CF strip over the edge of a counter at a 90 degree angle and just pulling the CF along. The clear would just break off rather than make the 90 gedree turn downward. I used aerosol clear coat and gave it several coats to match the OEM thickess. It still looks showroom new, no bubbling, warping, lifting, etc....and it's a very inexpensive fix. I used JB weld to cement it back down.
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook

Old 09-23-2014, 02:21 PM
uschoice
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John D II
I restored mine and it came out perfectly. It's been on 3 years now with no issues, many days in the hot sun. I just peeled the original CF off the leather dash and then the clear coat came right off by running the CF strip over the edge of a counter at a 90 degree angle and just pulling the CF along. The clear would just break off rather than make the 90 gedree turn downward. I used aerosol clear coat and gave it several coats to match the OEM thickess. It still looks showroom new, no bubbling, warping, lifting, etc....and it's a very inexpensive fix. I used JB weld to cement it back down.
John, what did you do to copy the curvature of the dash before you clear coated it. If you clear coat it while laying flat, will it crack when you glue it back down to the dash? I'm talking about the cf strips that run from the defroster vents down to the corner vent outlets.
Thanks, David
Old 09-23-2014, 03:54 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by uschoice

John, what did you do to copy the curvature of the dash before you clear coated it. If you clear coat it while laying flat, will it crack when you glue it back down to the dash? I'm talking about the cf strips that run from the defroster vents down to the corner vent outlets.
Thanks, David
The CF is die cut from a sheet and it retains the exact size and shape to fit right in place. I just laid it flat on a sheet of plywood and raised it by placing narrow wood pieces under it so the edges were suspended in the air and sprayed it about 14 coats to get the oem thickness. Light sand after every few coats.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:31 AM
PorscheDA
Intermediate

Thanks for the info John I think I'm going to do mine next weekend. How long did you let the clear coat dry before doing another coat or sanding?
Old 04-18-2016, 03:07 AM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Konceptmotorwurk
Thanks for the info John I think I'm going to do mine next weekend. How long did you let the clear coat dry before doing another coat or sanding?
I'm sorry, I don't recall exactly...I'm thinking I did about 5-6 coats and lightly sanded after a few hours and sprayed again another 5-6 coats and sanded again. Then did the final 2-3 coats. I believe it was all in one day.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:52 AM
PorscheDA
Intermediate

Thanks John we will see how it comes out..

Quick Reply: carbon fiber trim