Sponsored by:

Oil leak question

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 05:20 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Oil leak question

Hey folks - this am I found a small (1-2 in diameter) spot of engine oil immediately behind the left rear wheel. Oil dripped down from the radiator hose that is just inside/above the inner fender liner. I assumed it was from the turbo but taking a look last tonight, I cannot seem to identify the source. Looks like the oil came from above the hose (obviously not 'from' the hose). I'll jack up the car and take a better look tonight but until then, any ideas? I've had the car only about five months and just beginning to learn about the car, it's mechanicals, etc....
Old 07-03-2014, 12:03 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Oil in the IC hose... Reading up on the topic.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:04 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts

One of the first signs of a failing turbocharger is oil in the intake piping prior to the turbocharger. With the ease of removing a pressure hose to the IC from turbo, one can inspect for oil.

Please note that if you overfill your engine, the main oil take breather hose is fitted to the side intake plenum (left side of engine). Oil will run down the drivers side turbocharger inlet/intake piping.. Check your oil level..

Shine a light on your compressor wheels, if they are brown or wet with oil, you might be needing turbochargers. A good time to upgrade to larger hybrids.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:05 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Thanks Kevin!

As others here have said, you are a great resource.

I bought the car about five months ago but only have driven it maybe 200 miles - winter here and still had my DD...

Just this week I started driving it daily. Also, the car was serviced just prior to my purchase.

I'll double check the oil level.

Quick Reply: Oil leak question