Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So, does anyone turn off PSM for street driving?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 11:09 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDatanator
This.
This too.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:12 PM
993c2cab
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is always on. Can one feel a difference with it off??
Old 06-13-2014, 12:51 PM
drh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go into a 15mph hairpin at 40mph and put your foot to the floor. Mom will intervene and correct the stupidity of this test.

Now turn Mom off and do the same thing. Be sure to start the dash mounted GoPro before hand so we can enjoy the results with out all the pain.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:19 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

...and that's pretty much how stupid you have to be.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:54 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Some guys make PSM out to be some wonder tool that defies the laws of physics. It does not. You can still spin the car or get your self in trouble with PSM if you overcook a corner or hit some gravel, I've done it. PSM is basically a bandaid to mask a poorly set up car and masks poor driving technique. In my opinion, it is a lousy tool because it hides your mistakes and teaches you bad technique as it instills a falls sense of confidence. It doesn't take a lot of skill to enter a corner, stomp the throttle to the floor and come out the other side thinking what a great driver you are all while PSM is jabbing away at the rear brakes to keep the back end from stepping out. Then you get into a driver's car like a GT2 or GT3 and wonder why all of the sudden you are in the weeds as you haven't learned to anticipate or "feel" what a car is going do in certain situations.. PSM is a good safety net for someone that has never taken any advanced driving technique classes but ultimately is detrimental to truly learning the car as you advance. There is nothing inherently dangerous about a GT2 for example to warrant the "widow maker" moniker. Whats dangerous is clueless drivers at the wheel of any high powered rear wheel drive car. Just my $0.02 but what do I know...

Last edited by powdrhound; 06-13-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:02 PM
drh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by powdrhound
Some guys make PSM out to be some wonder tool that defies the laws of physics. It does not. You can still spin the car or get your self in trouble with PSM, I've done it. PSM is basically a bandaid to mask a poorly set up car and mask poor driving technique. In my opinion, it is a lousy tool because it hides your mistakes and teaches you bad technique as it instills a falls sense of confidence. It doesn't take a lot of skill to enter a corner, stomp the throttle to the floor and come out the other side thinking what a great driver you are all while PSM is jabbing away at the rear brakes to keep the back end from stepping out. Then you get into a driver's car like a GT2 or GT3 and wonder why all of the sudden you are in the weeds as you haven't learned to anticipate or "feel" what a car is going do in certain situations.. PSM is a good safety net for someone that has never taken any advanced driving technique classes but ultimately is detrimental to truly learning the car. Just my $0.02 but what do I know...
I agree and would say it sounds as though you know a lot

I haven't had an opportunity to get out on the track and really put my car to the test. When were kids, my brothers and I always found a field and spent a lot of time sliding and braking our VWs learning how cars feel. We always did this when it snowed as well. I think it made us really good drivers knowing how a car feels. I don't depend on PSM, but I do leave it on because it is a little extra insurance for in town driving.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:17 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by drh
I agree and would say it sounds as though you know a lot

I haven't had an opportunity to get out on the track and really put my car to the test. When were kids, my brothers and I always found a field and spent a lot of time sliding and braking our VWs learning how cars feel. We always did this when it snowed as well. I think it made us really good drivers knowing how a car feels. I don't depend on PSM, but I do leave it on because it is a little extra insurance for in town driving.
A Porsche DE event is probably the best money you can spend to really make you appreciate these cars. It is a very humbling (and addicting) experience that will make you a better, safer, and more confident driver. I always used to think of myself as an excellent driver until a number of years ago I went to my first DE and realized how little I actually knew. It really humbled me. Just because you have a 600hp car does not make one a competent driver. If you are driving in town and find the PSM is coming into the picture, then you are way overdriving the car for conditions. Have fun and be safe out there..
Old 06-13-2014, 02:59 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,235 Likes on 1,442 Posts

I use it sometimes on the track as a check on my smoothness. If I feel am getting sloppy I turn it on to see where I am unbalancing the car when I don't intend to.

On the street I just leave it on as safety back up.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:33 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Most people who own these cars have never been to a track nor want to go to one. They also do not drive them over aggressively to the point that the psm wouldn't be a big plus. That said everything you have stated is true and a DE is a great idea.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:27 PM
cdmdriver
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is the truth. Most drivers do not know how to drive their cars in extreme situations. Driving a car with 400+HP makes pushing your Turbo on the street down right perilous. I would never recommend to anyone (except those that have a great deal of track and autocross experience in their turbo) to turn off the PSM. You are correct, PSM does hide mistakes....costly mistakes! Let Dr. Porsche save your a$$. When you feel the hesitation of the throttle being cut or the braking of the rear wheels as you are powering through a corner, you can thank the PSM for helping you avoid the bushes.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:06 PM
Drmiller
Track Day

same as on the m3forum.net, and people deactivating dsc. On track it's off. On the street it stays on unless you're trying to launch from a dig or if you want to play around a bit with a degree of wheel-slip. For those situations I'll turn it off, but it goes right back on after. There's definitely no reason to have it off during rainy conditions or even regular street driving. When you're doing your daily driving in auto-pilot mode, keep your systems on. When you're on the track and confident of your skills is where PSM can become prohibitive and can be turned off. It's really just common sense.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:17 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

i find the car handles much more "predictably" with the psm button "off", and the activation of the psm to be disconcerting at best, and at worst, downright invasive.

i agree to the best of my own limited understanding with pwderhounds explanation and feel the psm was a helpful aide to me initially, and when i was learning more of the cars ( as well as my own ) "limits", whereas i now find the opposite to be true, and the car telegraphs much more "accurately" what is going on with it switched off, without feathering the brakes etc "for" me.

i also agree, there is only so much "trouble" the psm can get you "out" of.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:25 PM
dprantl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
i find the car handles much more "predictably" with the psm button "off", and the activation of the psm to be disconcerting at best, and at worst, downright invasive.

i agree to the best of my own limited understanding with pwderhounds explanation and feel the psm was a helpful aide to me initially, and when i was learning more of the cars ( as well as my own ) "limits", whereas i now find the opposite to be true, and the car telegraphs much more "accurately" what is going on with it switched off, without feathering the brakes etc "for" me.

i also agree, there is only so much "trouble" the psm can get you "out" of.
If you were driving home on the highway and the weather suddenly turned bad, it started to rain, and the temperature started dropping close to freezing, would you turn PSM on? What if someone right beside you started swerving and you had to execute a maneuver to avoid them, where possibly the correct thing to do would be to press the gas? Would you leave it off because while spinning out and going into a ditch, the car's handling would feel "more predictable"? Because no matter how good a driver you are, you can't apply brakes to a single wheel unless you have four brake pedals. I really don't see any reason to turn this safety feature off when you are not driving in a manner that is conducive to activating it in the first place. It is there for the unexpected events that rarely occur due to several separate set of conditions happening at exactly the same time. Oh, and we are talking on the street, not DE, track, racing competition, etc.

Dan
Old 06-13-2014, 07:33 PM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dprantl
If you were driving home on the highway and the weather suddenly turned bad, it started to rain, and the temperature started dropping close to freezing, would you turn PSM on? What if someone right beside you started swerving and you had to execute a maneuver to avoid them, where possibly the correct thing to do would be to press the gas? Would you leave it off because while spinning out and going into a ditch, the car's handling would feel "more predictable"? Because no matter how good a driver you are, you can't apply brakes to a single wheel unless you have four brake pedals. I really don't see any reason to turn this safety feature off when you are not driving in a manner that is conducive to activating it in the first place. It is there for the unexpected events that rarely occur due to several separate set of conditions happening at exactly the same time. Oh, and we are talking on the street, not DE, track, racing competition, etc.

Dan
Bad weather? Rain? Freezing? Mark and I aren't familiar with those situations, sorry.

In all seriousness- I'm not skilled enough to ever feel comfortable to turn PSM off.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:51 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound
A Porsche DE event is probably the best money you can spend to really make you appreciate these cars. It is a very humbling (and addicting) experience that will make you a better, safer, and more confident driver. I always used to think of myself as an excellent driver until a number of years ago I went to my first DE and realized how little I actually knew. It really humbled me. Just because you have a 600hp car does not make one a competent driver. If you are driving in town and find the PSM is coming into the picture, then you are way overdriving the car for conditions. Have fun and be safe out there..
+1. First few weeks I had the turbo I went to a DE. How did that go? I was able to graduate to the next level after 2 runs. Next weekend I'm doing an all weekend DE. Those who have not done a DE are missing out on a ton of fun, and the chance to learn far more about their car and their own lack of knowledge and skill, than toddling around town, not trying to put miles on their turbo.

2002 Turbo - Basalt Black Metallic / 2003 Carrera 4S - Speed Yellow / 1955 356 Continental 1500 - Rust Red

Quick Reply: So, does anyone turn off PSM for street driving?