Sponsored by:

Looking to do some mods which will give me most bang for my buck

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 11:52 AM
LSM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to do some mods which will give me most bang for my buck

I am looking to improve low end and mid-range. What will give me the most bang for my buck. Most hp and torque increase? I was thinking a powerchip and an exhaust but would like other opinions. Will the powerchip and exhaust even help low end? I have heard that you actually hurt low end and get more high end. I have never really moded a car before so all feedback is appreciated. I do not want to spend an enormous amount of money either.

-Lou
Old 08-05-2003, 06:26 PM
LSM
Racer

Come on guys . I know this question probably has been asked but, someone must have some advise. I did a search but, did not find what I needed. I probably will never track my car and am not that interested in improving top speed. Any advise is appreciated. Thank you

-Lou
Old 08-05-2003, 06:42 PM
sporters78
Instructor

ecu or exhaust and airfilter
Old 08-05-2003, 07:03 PM
LSM
Racer

Originally posted by sporters78
ecu or exhaust and airfilter
Which ecu is best? Which airfilter? I was thinking the ruf or europipe, which will give more low end hp and torque? Is there a specific chip that goes better with either of these exhausts?

-Lou
Old 08-05-2003, 08:06 PM
Hamann7
User

PowerChip is the way to go for the ECU.

They can fine tune your A/F ratio in cooperation with your local shop if necessary to produce optimal results.

However, the PowerChip program is also adaptive to most mods, so you may not even require fine tuning.

I am not sure how much more power exhaust will give you, but with the chip alone you are looking at a 60-70hp increase with a commensurate increase in torque across the powerband.

The best part is, they have a 14 or 30 day money back guarantee and also offer a drivetrain warranty. I had my M5 tuned by them and Wilber had his Cayenne S reprogrammed and we both agree that this is one of the best mods you can get!!!

And yes, they will be doing my GT3.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:44 PM
GT3er
7th Gear

Default I agree with Hamann7....

Old 08-05-2003, 11:03 PM
03-C4S
Racer

Contact Stephen at www.imagineauto.com and he will surely take care of you. Good luck and let us know what happens.
Old 08-06-2003, 12:39 AM
996TTR
Advanced

Lou,

You are welcome to come and take my car for a spin. It has a ECU, modified stock turbos and a modified stock muffler. I think you will be suprised how well it works. Maybe we can run the cars side by side so that you can see the difference. I am up still in Lake Bluff, where you drove my M5 with the diff.

David
Old 08-06-2003, 01:38 AM
Turbo03
Instructor

PSS9 coilovers
Old 08-06-2003, 01:43 AM
racer63
Racer

IMO, the best bang for the buck for low to mid range torque/hp is the EVO stage 2 (ECU, exhaust, diverter valves and K&N).
Old 08-06-2003, 01:48 AM
wilber
Racer

Power chip really works!
I have have it on my Cayenne S
When i got the car back from them I feel the car is lighter and more power.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:03 AM
996TTR
Advanced

The change from the Ruf to the Evo is temporary. I am having something custom built. I definitely lost power when I took the Ruf off. The car is going to the drag strip tomorrow so I will be able to say what the difference is.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:13 AM
LSM
Racer

Originally posted by 996TTR
Lou,

You are welcome to come and take my car for a spin. It has a ECU, modified stock turbos and a modified stock muffler. I think you will be suprised how well it works. Maybe we can run the cars side by side so that you can see the difference. I am up still in Lake Bluff, where you drove my M5 with the diff.

David
996ttr,

I would love that! BTW, do you have a grey turbo? I think I saw you on 41 on father's day. I had the black tt and I told you I was in my break-in period. Let me know when I can come check it out. Weekends are obviously best for me as I am working like 7am-8pm right now everyday and weekends. If that is ok. Thanks again.

*BTW, that dinan differential you sold me for my M5 was unbelievable. It made so much diference. I could barely control the car when I floored it and the mid-range on the highway was incredible. Whoever bought my M5 got a great car as it only had 2500 miles when I sold it

-Lou
Old 08-06-2003, 10:18 AM
LSM
Racer

Another potential problem I may have is, I do not know one single Porsche tuner in Chicago and maybe 996ttr(dave) can answer this best. It seems all the best tuners are in CA and often if I ask my local shop to do something they do not have any experience with it. I think the powerchip will be a definate with an exhaust and airfilter, that seems to be the consensus. Which exhaust goes best with the powerchip? If the ecu needs to be reprogrammed who should I have do it? Where is the best price for the powerchip? Do I void my warranty? If shop does diagnostics on my car will it burn the chip? Which airfilter? Dave, how did the Ruf exhaust sound compared to the europipe stage 2 loud and did you lose low end? Where did you purchase the Ruf exhaust?

-Lou
Old 08-06-2003, 11:21 AM
996TTR
Advanced

Yes,

That was me picking on you. Back then it still had the Ruf stuff on it. There are three good shops in Chicago that I have used.

1. Perfect Power, in Libertyville. They used to be one of the two exclusive Ruf dealers in the country. I have seen that they were a 9FF dealer up until a few days ago when 9FF pulled the franchise from all their US dealers.
They do very nice work but it is very hard to get your car in and it is pricy.

2. Midwest Eurosport in Bensenville. They did some work for me in the past and I was very satisfied. I don't use them much because they are 30 minutes away and Perfect Power is 5 minutes.

3. Willow Automotive in Lake Bluff. They are not a exclusive Porsche shop but would be perfectly fine doing ECU, turbos, and a muffler. They have done work for me also when I could not get my car in to Perfect Power. They were also much cheaper.

I would also recommend possibly buying the stuff from Stephen at Imagine. He can ship the stuff to you and you can have it installed here.

I like the Ruf Exhaust better than the Europipe but have not seen a direct comparison. I think you should wait until Stephen publishes his exhaust dyno shootout results. Rumors are the Ruf made more power. It is also much quieter.

Let me know when you want to come by and I will find some time to go for a spin. You are also welcome to join us Thursday night at the drag strip. We have some neat cars that are supposed to go.

Quick Reply: Looking to do some mods which will give me most bang for my buck