Looking to do some mods which will give me most bang for my buck

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 11:38 AM
LSM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by 996TTR
Yes,

That was me picking on you. Back then it still had the Ruf stuff on it. There are three good shops in Chicago that I have used.

1. Perfect Power, in Libertyville. They used to be one of the two exclusive Ruf dealers in the country. I have seen that they were a 9FF dealer up until a few days ago when 9FF pulled the franchise from all their US dealers.
They do very nice work but it is very hard to get your car in and it is pricy.

2. Midwest Eurosport in Bensenville. They did some work for me in the past and I was very satisfied. I don't use them much because they are 30 minutes away and Perfect Power is 5 minutes.

3. Willow Automotive in Lake Bluff. They are not a exclusive Porsche shop but would be perfectly fine doing ECU, turbos, and a muffler. They have done work for me also when I could not get my car in to Perfect Power. They were also much cheaper.

I would also recommend possibly buying the stuff from Stephen at Imagine. He can ship the stuff to you and you can have it installed here.

I like the Ruf Exhaust better than the Europipe but have not seen a direct comparison. I think you should wait until Stephen publishes his exhaust dyno shootout results. Rumors are the Ruf made more power. It is also much quieter.

Let me know when you want to come by and I will find some time to go for a spin. You are also welcome to join us Thursday night at the drag strip. We have some neat cars that are supposed to go.
Dave, thanks for all the info. I will definately call those shops. How do I get a hold of Stephen at Imagine? Do you know anything about the powerchip? Why did you get rid of the Ruf exhaust? I saw some results on the dyno that said europipe had more hp/torque than the Ruf at almost all speeds. It was on this board and I beleive I saw it yesterday. Is the Ruf loud at all or would you say it is pretty quiet? Which dragstrip do you go to?
I would love to check that out.

-Lou
Old 08-06-2003, 12:13 PM
996TTR
Advanced

Union Grove is the dragstrip. It is in Union Grove, WI, about 10 minutes past the border off of 94. This is where Shank has run his 996 Turbo also.

The Ruf exhaust is pretty quiet. It is almost stock quiet except during full throttle. I have not seen any dyno results that show that the Europipe is more powerful. The ECU and Turbos are really what makes most of the power.

I cannot remember Stephens number but the web site is www.imagineauto.com

I have not seen anyone use the Powerchip on a 996 Turbo but it may be fine. The GIAC is really the Cadillac with the APR, FVD, Techart all in the same ballpark. I actually have not seen a GIAC car run faster than my APR. I ran two different cars that had the GIAC. One was a stage 3 and I was able to pull away from him. The other was a stage 4 and we ran even, but his car was possibly not running its best. That is the nice part of seeing how your cars runs compared to mine. The nice thing about the APR and the GIAC is you can run different settings. I have a stock, modified, race gas, and valet setting.
Old 08-06-2003, 03:36 PM
LSM
Racer

Here s the comment from CJV I was referrng to comparing the Ruf to the Europipe......................

They are both good exhausts. The Europipe outperforms the Ruf from approx. 2000 thru 4900 rpm's. The Ruf outperforms the Europipe from approx. 4900 thru 5900 rpm's. The Europipe outperforms the Ruf from approx. 5900 rpm's thru redline.

Since you are not exceeding 650 hp, either exhaust is fine. When I say "exceed", I am not talking about alot. Most people could not detect 30 hp and most people could not tell the difference between the two exhausts. In your case it would come down to personel taste in sound.

Any comments from anyone? Which is the best bang for your buck? Which chip will I get more low-end and mid-range torque from? Powerchip, GIAC, APR or FVD? Which works best with europipe stage 2

-Lou
Old 08-06-2003, 06:11 PM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had Sol at Perfect Power do the work on my 930 for over 10 years, and the car has run great the whole time. I stopped at his shop 2 weeks ago to discuss mods for my '02 911 Turbo, he is very up to date on all the things mentioned in this thread. He is a bit pricey but does very good work and has always backed it up in my experience. When I'm ready to mod the 911, I'll have him do it.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:10 PM
msindi
Three Wheelin'

GIAC is probably the best 996TT EVU out there - I have been researching ECUs since March...
Old 08-06-2003, 10:21 PM
racer63
Racer

Originally posted by 996TTR
Yes,

I like the Ruf Exhaust better than the Europipe but have not seen a direct comparison. I think you should wait until Stephen publishes his exhaust dyno shootout results. Rumors are the Ruf made more power. It is also much quieter.
Speaking of that shoot out... any news on when the results will be available? I'm definitely interested in the results.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:31 PM
msindi
Three Wheelin'

I spoke with Stephen today and I think testing is complete....Results will be published soon....

Quick Reply: Looking to do some mods which will give me most bang for my buck