Old 08-02-2003, 07:46 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts
Default GT2 intercoolers?

Just wondering who has them and/or if anyone knows much about them with greater HP Turbos. I know there's a formula of sorts where you take ambient temps outside, intake temps and then cooler efficiency but all I know and/or have found out is that GT2 ic's are supposedly 10% more efficient. My rear end is off and I have the opportunity to do a swap so just seeking advice. I've heard larger ICs can induce some lag but then again, I can't tell the difference other than fin design and as far as I can tell there's no difference in size?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-02-2003, 07:50 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 336 Likes on 224 Posts

Since I have not personally seen a set yet, I can only reply from second hand accounts. Two customers have said that they have not noticed any improvement, and that the size differences are not noticable.... Are you up and running YET?
Old 08-02-2003, 08:13 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally posted by Kevin
Since I have not personally seen a set yet, I can only reply from second hand accounts. Two customers have said that they have not noticed any improvement, and that the size differences are not noticable.... Are you up and running YET?
Thanks for the tip Kevin. I am figuring it might not be worth it. Actually not up today.. slight hiccup our end. Apparently those pesky 12mmx14mm exhaust side bolts that we were going to resuse will not come out of the old k16s. Heat etc.. they're caked in there good. I had a feeling they'd be tought to get out (obviously we don't want to do any damage to them or the old K16s). Managed to get 2 of the 14 out but looks like some new ones are going to be ordered Unless you know somewhere else to get them. Looks like it'll take 5-6 days to order them from Germany. Dangit I was looking forward to it....

Just figured since the rear end was off (to gain access to the turbo oil lines) I'd ask about the ICs...

For some reason it's raining here today (crazy weather) so probably a good thing I didn't go driving around on it with my sport cups

PS Rick mentioned something about break-in period so I figured I'd ask you
Old 08-02-2003, 10:24 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sharkster,

I live in Los Altos and I haven't seen a cloud today. Go figure.

Hope your car is ready for next Sunday. I really want to see it. I've been trying to install some IC hardpipes today (along with some solid motor mounts and some brake ducts). What a nightmare dealing with the 993TT intercooler tubes. With the Protomotive intercooler, the darn things turn out to be 2 inches too long. I'm done for the day. Getting out the power tools tomorrow..

Good luck
Old 08-03-2003, 01:32 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I have new studs in stock!!!!! UPS RED!!!!!!
Old 08-03-2003, 03:11 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Ah Kevin you are THE man That's above and beyond the call of duty
Old 08-04-2003, 02:34 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Break In Period;

30 minutes of Grandpa takes Grandma shopping! Maybe 60 minutes for you, and no 1/4 mile trips. We have to seat the turbine side sealing ring, same principal as seating your piston rings.... No hot shut downs!
Old 08-04-2003, 02:57 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally posted by Kevin
Break In Period;

30 minutes of Grandpa takes Grandma shopping! Maybe 60 minutes for you, and no 1/4 mile trips. We have to seat the turbine side sealing ring, same principal as seating your piston rings.... No hot shut downs!
LOL ok I'll make sure I go to the grocery store with it and buy a whole crate of eggs...

I hear you on the hot shut downs... I'll be sure to let it cool down at least a couple of minutes (maybe more?) after every drive... I live in a gated community and it takes about 5minutes of driving around at 15mph thanks to all the speed bumps as well..
Old 08-04-2003, 02:58 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

And speaking of no HOT shut downs, brings me to that age-old question, has anyone installed a turbo timer on the 996TT? Any info? Thanks!

Quick Reply: GT2 intercoolers?