Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G-Tech Pro - Competition

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 03:36 PM
greg schroeder
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greg, I have a g-tech, The original model. I've tested mine in many vehicles and at the track and found it to be very precise Again they either made a changes to the new model or your using it improperly. for a car that weighs 2950 with driver you need to be putting down about 450 hp to the wheels to run 125 mph in the 1/4(no stock turbo rx-7 can do that). As for the x-50, my GT-2 never saw any where close to 124 mph unless I mounted it improperly.
I don't know what to tell you. I also have the old Gtech meter and see similar numbers out of that unit, though my 0-60 mph times are more often lower in the 4.2 to 4.5 second range instead of the 5 seconds as shown in the above displayed Gtech Pro run. The displayed run was for illustration as it was my first try running a quarter mile with the new unit.

The G-tech pro requires two procedures of calibration at different temperatures before using. This is done so the unit has the ability to calculate for temperature compensation of the accelerometers. The larger the temperature split between calibrations the better. The unit is self leveling unlike the old G-tech meter. For my first higher temperature calibration I left the unit on the seat of my vehicle in the sun. For my second calibration I put the G-tech Pro meter in my refrigerator. I used a Raytech temperature gun on the surface of the unit to be certain a suitable temperature split was achieved from one calibration to the next.

Testing for both the Porsche and Mazda were performed in the same location on a level road perpendicular to two major road ways of the same elevation. I don't believe the same G-tech pro meter would work with less accuracy from one vehicle to another given the same conditions.

We are experiencing cooler weather here in Arizona this time of year. This will enhance performance. In addition, previous to both the Mazda and Porsche runs we were certain to keep the vehicles out of boost while driving at freeway speeds for several minutes. Neither of the cars were heat soaked, lending most appreciable conditions for testing.
Old 12-01-2003, 05:36 PM
biiig-hp
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by MBailey
Biiing,
The results on the G-tech X50 are almost identical to Motor Trends results as far as quarter time. The speed difference is caused by the G-tech measuring speed at the very end of the quarter rather than averaging the last few yards. I cant vouch for the RX-7 result.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...he/index1.html
I don't have a problem with the time on the X50, just the mph. I never saw above 117 mph on my G-tech on my GT-2.I may have got a week one but it had no problems walking on X-50's up here. I do live at 3400 ft and the corrected air is usually between 4000-5500 ft, but I don't think it is enough to justify 8 mph difference from one gtech to another. Again I'm not doubting the numbers your seeing, just trying to figure out how your getting them.
Old 12-05-2003, 10:40 AM
Indykid
Advanced

I thought greg's speed looked a little high considering the srt viper on my g-tech chart trap speed is 122mph which is right on target with everything that I have seen. I agree that both cars would need alot more hp to acheive those speeds.
Old 12-05-2003, 01:23 PM
greg schroeder
Intermediate

Originally posted by Indykid
I thought greg's speed looked a little high considering the srt viper on my g-tech chart trap speed is 122mph which is right on target with everything that I have seen. I agree that both cars would need alot more hp to acheive those speeds.
I could appreciate skepticism had I of done a sloppy job testing or not offered detail in my actions, but I've done everything by the book and the numbers I offer are factual.

Yes, my car accelerates faster in many speed ranges than the Viper SRT as well. I've confirmed this not only with the Gtech Pro competition meter, but as well with a rolling punch side by side with a car of the type. I don't know why it would be so hard to believe that my 1/4 mile speed is higher than the Viper SRT.

As for the 996tt X50 trap speed why would that be hard to believe? It's nearly identical to the 996tt non-X50 stage 1 posted by MBailey. The 117 mph number that that Biiig-hp offers for his car is at 3400 ft above sea level with correction of even more. That's a huge disadvantage to the 1250 feet elevation on a cool day were we tested. Road and Track gets 1/4 mile mph similar as Biiig-hp's out of a base 996 tts with just 330 wheel HP.(that's about what the base 996tt puts to the ground).

In my opinion there should be a bit more credibility in a properly calibrated G-tech Pro Competition meter used on a level surface, over that of random thoughts based on hearsay.
Old 12-05-2003, 02:20 PM
MBailey
Instructor

Along the lines of the altitude discussion, my testing was done at sealevel.

Indykid if its not too much trouble post your G-tech chart. Id like to see how a viper srt did in 0-60, 0-100, ect..
Old 12-05-2003, 04:58 PM
Indykid
Advanced

Originally posted by greg schroeder
I could appreciate skepticism had I of done a sloppy job testing or not offered detail in my actions, but I've done everything by the book and the numbers I offer are factual.

As for the 996tt X50 trap speed why would that be hard to believe? It's nearly identical to the 996tt non-X50 stage 1 posted by MBailey. The 117 mph number that that Biiig-hp offers for his car is at 3400 ft above sea level with correction of even more. That's a huge disadvantage to the 1250 feet elevation on a cool day were we tested. Road and Track gets 1/4 mile mph similar as Biiig-hp's out of a base 996 tts with just 330 wheel HP.(that's about what the base 996tt puts to the ground).

I thought that you had the x-50 g-teched at 11.8 at 124mph? Am I wrong here?
Old 12-05-2003, 05:00 PM
Indykid
Advanced

Originally posted by MBailey
Along the lines of the altitude discussion, my testing was done at sealevel.

Indykid if its not too much trouble post your G-tech chart. Id like to see how a viper srt did in 0-60, 0-100, ect..
Sure here it is.
Attached Images  
Old 12-05-2003, 07:27 PM
greg schroeder
Intermediate

Originally posted by Indykid
I thought that you had the x-50 g-teched at 11.8 at 124mph? Am I wrong here?
Yes. That was the time.

We tested the X-50 after cruising on the freeway without boost on a notably cool day. Having cool intake temperatures will result in better times and mph? Likewise we could have driven the car hard for several minutes, then turned it off to heat soak for a bit, then done the run to achieve lesser numbers. Cool temps good numbers, hot temps worse numbers.

Here's an example. I did my earlier displayed Rx-7 G-tech pro run with intake temps in the 20C range. The numbers were good. Today however I drove around and did some city driving with plenty of motionless activity as well as shutting the car off once for a couple minutes. With my tiny stock intercooler my intake temperatures actaully got up to 74C. Ouch! I have no doubt if a G-tech run would have been performed under such conditions we would see easily an extra .75 seconds added to the 1/4 mile and a reduction of speed of -15 mph or more. It's all relative.

It's not very complicated. Our goal is to achieve the best results possible, so we run the cars warmed up, but with as cool of intake temperatures as possible.

Last edited by greg schroeder; 12-06-2003 at 01:03 AM.
Old 12-06-2003, 01:01 AM
greg schroeder
Intermediate

edit
Old 12-06-2003, 06:25 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 96 Posts

Here are initial runs in my TT with my new Gtech. I lifted before the 1/4 mile mark or I would have been about a 11.7 @ 123 or 124.

I cant figure out how to launch it, either it bogs down or wheel hops.

Last edited by RSRRacer; 12-06-2012 at 07:43 AM.
Old 12-06-2003, 08:30 PM
Indykid
Advanced

I can hit 60 ft times of 1.6 to 1.7 and 0-60 times of 4.2 with a launch of 4500 rmp.s if that helps
Old 12-06-2003, 08:33 PM
Indykid
Advanced

Originally posted by RSRRacer
Here are initial runs in my TT with my new Gtech. I lifted before the 1/4 mile mark or I would have been about a 11.7 @ 123 or 124.

I cant figure out how to launch it, either it bogs down or wheel hops.
I doubt that you would have trapped 123mph, I think that 116 to 118 is more probable.
Old 12-06-2003, 10:50 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 96 Posts

Indykid:

Look at the black baseline run - I hit 118 at about 11.1 seconds and actually let off the accel for the last 3/4 of a second. The run in red (though shorter) was a better launch. Based upon this run I should be able to get 11.6-11.7 and 123 or so.. We will see....

Thanks
Old 12-07-2003, 12:15 AM
MBailey
Instructor

RSR,
Those dont look like stock numbers unless your car is an x50, GT-2, or modded. Tell us what your secret is.
Old 12-07-2003, 12:35 AM
Indykid
Advanced

Originally posted by RSRRacer
Indykid:

Look at the black baseline run - I hit 118 at about 11.1 seconds and actually let off the accel for the last 3/4 of a second. The run in red (though shorter) was a better launch. Based upon this run I should be able to get 11.6-11.7 and 123 or so.. We will see....

Thanks
Well, I don't know what to say, I've seen some people get the g-teched 1/4 mile to be very accurate however the speed is inaccuate. I'm not saying its not possible with a stock 996tt to hit 123 trap speed its just that you would be the only person in history to do it. NO OFFENSE INTENDED.

Quick Reply: G-Tech Pro - Competition