Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

996TT values

Old 01-01-2014, 01:02 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts
Default 996TT values

ok guys, now normally I would punch myself in the face for making a value thread because I hate them, but here is my situation.

I have a 993TT as a weekend car. Thats not going anywhere. I have a 2005 s500 4matic daily driver. Little niggles aside, its in great shape. I've had it for almost 6 years though, so I'm interested in possibly getting something different.

That in mind, my thoughts have wandered to the 996TT. Lot of car for the money as you all know.

That said, the car will sit outside...all day, every day. I have a townhouse with only one garage spot, so the car will sit in my driveway at home, and at the trainstation while i'm at work.

I'm looking at this car:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...US_Cars_Trucks

Now, I have no problems throwing $50k at this thing. I will drive maybe 4k miles a year.

In my own mind, however, I will not get rid of my Benz if I'm going to get killed on depreciation on the turbo.

So, what do you guys think the value of 996TTs will be in the next 5 years or so. While a great value, they are in the realm of used high performance cars right now, not classics, and not new enough for massive snob appeal.

If I can drive the 996TT for 5 years and 20k miles and not get killed on resale, I may pick this car up. Otherwise, i'll likely hang on to the benz.

Your thoughts?

Thanks.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:53 PM
Schulr
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm also looking into a 996 turbo and have seen pricing all over the place. The one you have shown is a real beauty but seems a bit high in price. Will be interesting to see what the others say. I currently have an 87 targa.

Bob
Old 01-01-2014, 01:54 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 361 Posts

Seems like the values have been holding for the last year or two. My guess is they have pretty much bottomed out with high mileage cars from $35k to very low mileage cars in the $50k's and Turbo S's in the $60's.

That said, I am not a fan of the brown interior and wood trim of the car in your link.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:03 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by pirahna
Seems like the values have been holding for the last year or two. My guess is they have pretty much bottomed out with high mileage cars from $35k to very low mileage cars in the $50k's and Turbo S's in the $60's.

That said, I am not a fan of the brown interior and wood trim of the car in your link.
I agree with the first part. They do seem to have stabilized a bit, but as they don't seem to have the appeal of the air cooled cars (nor the production numbers), I don't see a strong rise in prices either.

The reason I like this car is exactly the brown interior and wood trim. I love natural brown (my mb interior is brown also) and the wood adds a touch of luxury. This car would keep the stock suspension and maybe just get a tune.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:36 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

If I could accurately predict the market for used 996 Turbo's in 5 years I'd shift my focus to being able to predict the stock market in 5 years.

No one can say for sure. Anyone that offers an opinion now that proves to be right in 5 years just made a lucky guess 5 years earlier.

The rules for buying a used Turbo haven't changed. Buy the best one you can find/afford. Try to avoid overpaying for the car. Keep the car stock. Take care of car. Last but not least, enjoy the car.

Then when you go to sell the car in 5 years the car's depreciation will be as little as it can be from the factors under your control.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:44 PM
SelectiveRecall
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having just bought a clean, low-mileage, turbo about 4mo ago, I think the prices have about bottomed out. I have been watching cars and prices for the last few years, and it is getting harder to find low-mileage 996 turbos. In my opinion, these cars will not garner the appreciation of the 993s, but it seems the major depreciation has ended.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:55 PM
sd996tt
Advanced

I second the advice to find a low mileage car or one that you are very certain has not been driven hard. If you can find a car that has had one owner, and truly was not abused, it is worth paying a lot more for. These transmissions can only take so much abuse, and are very expensive to replace! The car may look like it is perfect, but you can never tell how it was driven.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:23 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by Macster
If I could accurately predict the market for used 996 Turbo's in 5 years I'd shift my focus to being able to predict the stock market in 5 years.

No one can say for sure. Anyone that offers an opinion now that proves to be right in 5 years just made a lucky guess 5 years earlier.

The rules for buying a used Turbo haven't changed. Buy the best one you can find/afford. Try to avoid overpaying for the car. Keep the car stock. Take care of car. Last but not least, enjoy the car.

Then when you go to sell the car in 5 years the car's depreciation will be as little as it can be from the factors under your control.
jeez man, I'm just looking for opinions here, not material non public information.

I maintain all my cars to a high standard.

Originally Posted by sd996tt
I second the advice to find a low mileage car or one that you are very certain has not been driven hard. If you can find a car that has had one owner, and truly was not abused, it is worth paying a lot more for. These transmissions can only take so much abuse, and are very expensive to replace! The car may look like it is perfect, but you can never tell how it was driven.
Honestly, I don't want a car that hasn't been driven hard, so long as it wasn't abused.

any more opinions on value are appreciated.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:34 PM
widers911
Burning Brakes

Received 192 Likes on 82 Posts

I don't think the prices for 996tt will go below $40k for low mileage examples. Even high miles are still in the mid 30s. One of the forum sponsors has a nice 01 TT with low miles.

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...996-turbo.html

no affiliation
Old 01-01-2014, 09:43 PM
Frissen
Instructor

At this point I would predict prices to go down as the 991tt appears and pushes prices down the ladder, yet 991tt prices are so sky high that not everyone is jumping in the bandwagon keeping prices of 996tt and 997tt high as demand continues for these particular models.

991tt contends against to such car as the 2012 McLaren w/ under 1k miles at the $200k range, and truly who wouldn't want a carbon tub twin turbo v8 supercar and many other cars at that range... those going for a late 997TT may stumble upon a pristine R8 V10 for about the same dough, so Porsche is not the clear winner in those particular ranges...

yet as far as the 996TT it gets two type of buyerss, those upgrading or entering the turbo range and those downgrading/seeking for a beater (your case) making the market tight... prices will eventually go down but just slightly in the case of the 996TT... the 997TT still has to level off a bit specially in the MkII's
Old 01-01-2014, 09:46 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 361 Posts

This car seems like a good deal to me.
https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...03-996-tt.html
Old 01-01-2014, 10:30 PM
dubyaTT
Instructor

While I am unable to predict the future, I can all but guarantee the Porsche bath won't be anything like the shower you take on the Benz.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:34 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by dubyaTT
While I am unable to predict the future, I can all but guarantee the Porsche bath won't be anything like the shower you take on the Benz.
nah, I bought that car VERY well, so its more like a mild drizzle. Its also a designo car, so it has some inherent appeal to a particular audience.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:41 PM
dubyaTT
Instructor

I did not mean to offend, just offering perspective.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:58 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 365 Posts

Quad; I think the values on these cars aren't likely to drop much more even over 10 years. The metzger engine does have a big appeal especially since the newer turbos (997.2 and onward) do not use it. Obviously have a proper ppi since certain repairs can be quite costly but most issues are known and can be checked out. A scan of the computer will show overrevs which is informative info. The wood and brown interior really do not do it for me, and prevented me from buying a one this past the summer, as it will be a fun car and I did not want to make any compromise of what I want (black interior with carbon fiber). Although you should buy a car you like, IMO the wood will decrease the number of potential buyers interested when time comes to sell-since you asked about resale values. The coolant pipes should be tended to as if they let go can cause a mishap. The best option on these in terms of resale is X50. I also think if you can buy around $40k you will lose less than a lower mileage $50 k car. Seems many cars for sale around 50-60 but few actually sell for that price. The 40k cars seem to sell. Also the wholesale value on these cars is terrible so you can sometimes find a good car from a good owner who is buying another car and offered very low wholesale and willing to sell at a very fair price. IMO the car you posted is a little over priced but looks like a nice car. Since so many were made they aren't that hard to find at this point. Good luck and enjoy the search!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 996TT values