Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the 996 Turbo a boring car?

Old 12-29-2013, 02:18 PM
drh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rs10
Yes, your head and back are pushed back more physically than in any other car I've ever driven. Yet somehow, despite this, and also despite the car being lower than mine, most of the speed experience was still missing.)
I watched an Interior GoPro video of my wife and I driving around and it's interesting to see our bodies move rearward (significantly) in the seat when the car boosts. Perhaps you weren't in the boost long enough to spot your shorts like some of my passengers do?

Something else to consider is these cars are not dragsters...they have very long legs, and I have found my car still pulling extremely hard at 150+mph.

But then again, that is just my experience.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:27 PM
Coincident
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is abundantly clear when it comes to cars, food, movies, women and virtually everything else in life, is that one man's delight is another's curse. My advice that applies to all above, is buy the car that excites you because that is all that matters. If you prefer driving a Boxster over a Turbo, get the Boxster.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:08 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

Thanks for the helpful post!

If I may ask, from what engine speed does the Kline exhaust start to howl? And only full throttle, or also half-throttle?

Thanks again!
From memory from about 2500 - 3000 rpm

Last edited by James88; 12-29-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:13 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I currently own both a C4S and Turbo. The C4S feel like a snail. Though it has to be driven full throttle every where which is quite fun knowing it just hooks up and goes. The Turbo is just freaking fast, got to modulate the throttle and think. Both are chipped with giac tune, C4S has a fabspeed exhaust and sounds quite compared to the modded stock exhaust on the Turbo. The speed difference is honestly astounding between them at the track.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:36 PM
cdmdriver
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have owned a 993 for the past 7 years and recently purchased a stock 996 Turbo X50. The difference between the two could not be greater. Acceleration in the Turbo is stupid fast. It literally makes me smile every time I get on it. If you want a car that is a lot fun at slower speeds get a Miata. If you want a car that is ridiculously fast and is engineered to keep you in control at those insane speeds, buy the Porsche Turbo.
No offense, by your definition a rice rocket with the big exhaust might be more appealing to you as well.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:00 PM
Aviator46
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speedtech sounds great!
Old 12-29-2013, 09:50 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

i'm fortunate to have canyons with 80+ sweepers and xxx straightaways and there is no other car that provides the instant on uphill power this one does with roughly 475awp and flat as a rail

there is no oversteer. there are no "bumps", there is just sure footed hair raising adrenaline making power.

that said, i miss my 'ol 275hp 993 in the same kind of ways i miss a couple ex gf's. yeah, my memory is that good.

..and re "drone"..i have an old cargraphic and i've read about drone but never have heard it lol
Old 12-29-2013, 11:10 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

I did the same thing a few years back I test drove an 05 TT and just didn't feel the thrill. Went across the street, test drove a new M3 for the same money and bought it on the spot. Love that car!

I also drove a friends '13 GT-R a few weeks ago and that thing was pure adrenaline. If you want thrill, try the GT-R. It's ridiculous.

Now I've come around full circle. Just waiting on my 997tt to pass PPI. I'm buying a 911 this time not for the back of the seat g-force (though they have plenty) but because they are so stinking fun to drive. They just make me smile, if that makes sense.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:41 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by zirrah
The old adage will ways be true...

It's more fun to drive a slower car fast than a fast car slow. Personally id rather drive a base 911 or even boxster or cayman. You can push them more on the road. And pushing means more time around red line and those glorious sounds that flat sixes make there.
Hey, stop that Zirrah, you are raining on my Turbo dreams!

OK, OK, you have a point of course. I subscribe to and even promote this theory. I'm just hoping to find a way to have my cake and eat it too ...

What I'm thinking is that some cars are much less fun at 7/10ths than at 10/10ths, but others are only a little less fun. And with the Turbo's torque at low rev's, if it had a good sound there too, I could have fun at lower revs than in a normal 996, making it more fun at 7/10ths, for instance. And therefore have as much fun a the same speed. Maybe ...
Old 12-30-2013, 03:13 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I love my old turbo. Having said that, it takes $ to actually make the turbo "lively". If you dump $ it is faster then a GT3 hands down.

My excel spreadsheet has over $30k on mods for my turbo. Only power upgrades was ECU/Exhaust..

Stock for stock my GT3 is much much more fun and shockingly almost as fast as my turbo was even w all those mods.

As a perspective. The turbo was 1:35 at Laguna Seca with traffic - on cycled out slicks, stock exhaust- but every other mod standard that i normally had.

The GT3 i clocked 1:43 in traffic, street tires, letting off from turn 5, all the way up turn 6 for sound. If i did not have to let off easy- easy sub 1:40's on street tires on a stock car that i was having issues with late braking and understeer.

If I could do it all over again- i would ask myself why i didnt see the light sooner. To have as a dual purpose car and not needing to mod- 997 GT3. If you want to mod and be the fastest on track and street go turbo...it will cost you the price of the car but hey..its all relative.

To me, if i can get to 1:35's on slicks on my relatively stock gt3- i'm super happy because i can slap my street wheels and take the car on a road trip no problem. Or turn around and sell it no problem as it is basically stock.

As for the 997t...well its even more boring then a 996t - to me. its all subjective.

996 gt3 100% pure
996t 70% pure. Once unwrapped- you get 100% of the goods.
997t 70% pure. + digital.
997 gt3- 95% pure with best of track and compromise on street. IMO.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:22 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 119 Posts

RS10 -- very reasonable questions. My two most recent -- and only modern -- Porsches have been a 2004 Boxster 3.2 and a 2002 TT X50. I kept the Boxster for 8 years, some of that overlapping the TT. While I really enjoyed the top-down nature of the 986 (I've had a convertible for the last 19 years now, and still have one), in the end it was just so much less than the Turbo that I wound up never driving it. So I sold it to a friend.

My Turbo came with a B&B headers and exhaust. The drone was ear piercing all the way from 2200 to 3000, the place your car spends about 90% of its life, LOL. Turned out the can was split along the top (couldn't see it till you removed the exhaust). I had a shop repack it with some more SS mesh, and reweld it closed. Made a huge improvement, but there was still some drone in the 23-2500 range. Much improved, and if I were the only occupant it would have been fine. But I wanted to use this car to go places with my wife, and she was very sensitive to the droning sound.

So I put a stock exhaust on it for now. With the BB headers it really sounds good. I'm looking forward to going a little more aggressive at some point, but the sound is much nicer than the stock manifold/stock exhaust setup most cars have.

My point is that with headers you may not need a very aggressive exhaust can to get the sound you want.

But it is definitely doable, and it's worth experimenting with too. The end result will spoil you for regular 996s!
Old 12-30-2013, 04:43 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
I love my old turbo. Having said that, it takes $ to actually make the turbo "lively". If you dump $ it is faster then a GT3 hands down.

My excel spreadsheet has over $30k on mods for my turbo. Only power upgrades was ECU/Exhaust..

Stock for stock my GT3 is much much more fun and shockingly almost as fast as my turbo was even w all those mods.

As a perspective. The turbo was 1:35 at Laguna Seca with traffic - on cycled out slicks, stock exhaust- but every other mod standard that i normally had.

The GT3 i clocked 1:43 in traffic, street tires, letting off from turn 5, all the way up turn 6 for sound. If i did not have to let off easy- easy sub 1:40's on street tires on a stock car that i was having issues with late braking and understeer.

If I could do it all over again- i would ask myself why i didnt see the light sooner. To have as a dual purpose car and not needing to mod- 997 GT3. If you want to mod and be the fastest on track and street go turbo...it will cost you the price of the car but hey..its all relative.

To me, if i can get to 1:35's on slicks on my relatively stock gt3- i'm super happy because i can slap my street wheels and take the car on a road trip no problem. Or turn around and sell it no problem as it is basically stock.

As for the 997t...well its even more boring then a 996t - to me. its all subjective.

996 gt3 100% pure
Interesting. I consider Laganu more of a handling track and not a hp track. I'm sure if you compared times on hp tracks like Watkins, Mosport or VIR there would be a bigger differential in the tt's favour. I've never experienced my tt as stock. It has pss9's and it is a lot more stiff then my C4S with stock suspension and lowering springs. I am sure it isn't as modded as yours but at my local hp track tt's on street tires can hang with the gt3's on r compounds. Mostly due to the straights. Put the tt on r compounds and it has so much stick it's funny. Never had to put the cars worth in it for mods since it came with everything but some good seats. Got it priced slightly higher then what some of the great deals you here about from state side. Which was less then half the price of what a 997.1 gt3 goes for here. I do love the looks of the 997.1 GT3 but I went for best bang for the buck and I wouldn't even consider a 997.2 GT3 when I could get a 991 x51 that's just as fast if not faster then it.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:07 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Interesting. I consider Laganu more of a handling track and not a hp track. I'm sure if you compared times on hp tracks like Watkins, Mosport or VIR there would be a bigger differential in the tt's favour. I've never experienced my tt as stock. It has pss9's and it is a lot more stiff then my C4S with stock suspension and lowering springs. I am sure it isn't as modded as yours but at my local hp track tt's on street tires can hang with the gt3's on r compounds. Mostly due to the straights. Put the tt on r compounds and it has so much stick it's funny. Never had to put the cars worth in it for mods since it came with everything but some good seats. Got it priced slightly higher then what some of the great deals you here about from state side. Which was less then half the price of what a 997.1 gt3 goes for here. I do love the looks of the 997.1 GT3 but I went for best bang for the buck and I wouldn't even consider a 997.2 GT3 when I could get a 991 x51 that's just as fast if not faster then it.
Lucky you getting a modded turbo already. The .2 gt3 to me needs 10k to fix some of the issues hence I decided to go for a .1 but it has warranty. I like cars w warranty .. Laguna is a handling course. With 2 things that I need to solve w the 3 I expect mid 130s. To solve those to issues should be very cheap (brakes and understeer)...fun factor the 3 is pretty cool.. Honestly it reminds me of an older 911. The 997 c2s is pretty boring compare to a 996t... IMO , which I don't know much.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:59 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
996 gt3 100% pure
So what does one need to do to unwrap the Turbo and to make it "lively", as you put it ? All 30k of mods you made? Or just the exhaust? Or ...

(Or perhaps I should say, to unwrap it for the street - I suppose other changes may be needed for the track.)
Old 12-30-2013, 08:20 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

So what does one need to do to unwrap the Turbo and to make it "lively", as you put it ? All 30k of mods you made? Or just the exhaust? Or ...

(Or perhaps I should say, to unwrap it for the street - I suppose other changes may be needed for the track.)
To wake it up just for the street, just exhaust and ecu. For interior and bring it up to todays tech a gps,nav, blue tooth double din thouch screen system.

My stock exhaust was just modded to add a bypass pipe. No need to spend thousands on an exhaust.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is the 996 Turbo a boring car?