Sponsored by:

"gear selector not engaged"

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 02:25 PM
EVOL660
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default "gear selector not engaged"

I have this posted on 6speedonline, hoping from maybe some fresh insight here as well.

Hey all ran into a problem yesterday while installing my new stereo. Installed and everything was fine. Turned ignition to accessory and radio turned on and played around with it for about 2 minutes. While I was installing, nothing electrical just the double din cage, the doors were open draining the battery for about 2 hours. Got finished and went to put it all back together in the dash and went to turn on the car. Nothing. The display on the dash says " gear selector not engaged". The "airbags failure light came on twice but never after that. Radio will not turn on either. Dash has full lights and headlights and alarm work. Alarm does beep once now which has to do with the ground cable which I can do later. The car does not start. When I turn the key it makes a weird noise from near the fender and then makes not noise. No starter clicking or anything. Now I did fish a cable from the armrest to the front under the center console. My Indy said to make sure nothing got loose in the cables underneath which I did. He also said to check all fuses which I did and found nothing wrong. Gear lever goes through all gears fine. Key in ignition turns fine also. Car battery volt reads a little above 12v and had it on trickle charger overnight. I Am at a lose. I have searched everywhere and have found nothing similar to my issue. My question is this, can it be the battery? It has failed me a few times recently but chalked it up to not driving it enough and bought a trickle charger.

-Charged the battery all night with the trickle charger. Still nothing. Shows battery as fully charged. Volt meter on car still shows just a little above 12v. Just wont start and radio won't turn on. All other lights work. Something odd I noticed was the yellow ambient light near the rear view mirror stays on no matter what. Is that normal?

- Well switched out the battery for a new one. Nothing. Same thing. Turn the key, dash lights come on. Radio still doesn't turn on. Dash lights turn on, headlights, alarm, windows all fine. Turn the key to start, same weird noise in front fender, headlights auto adjust and "gear selector not engaged" in dash. No clicking, no slow turnover, nothing. I am at a complete loss.

- Hey all. Checked all the fuses, immobilizer connections, taped the stereo ground loop and plate so no more beep when the car is locked. Rechecked all stereo connections as well. Tried starting without the new stereo and it was the same thing. From what I have read online, if it is an alarm or immobilizer issue there would be a message on the dash or a light for it. Is this correct? All i get is the "gear selector not engaged. Another question is this. Inside the armrest under the bottom panel, how loose should the handbrake cable be? Mine moves around pretty freely. Thanks again for the all the input.

I love working on my own car and did the stereo install and now am regretting it. I just don't know what I could have possibly messed up. Any help would be much appreciated. By the way, car is a tiptronic so no clutch switch. Thank all.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:50 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

The biggest problem is that the car is not starting.
Start with testing the starter. Find the smaller solenoid cable at the starter and have a buddy turn the key to the Start position while you check for power with a test light. If there's no power there your starter won't engage and obviously the engine won't start. After that,since it's a Tip I'd go on testing the ignition switch...you must've fried something with your installation.
Also disconnect everything you've installed and bring it to stock for now.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:35 PM
EVOL660
Advanced

By the way, no CEL or codes pop up neither.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:40 AM
inlandsurf
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Move the gear selector in and out of gear. Make sure it is fully seated in park.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:09 PM
EVOL660
Advanced

Yup tried that also. Gears move smoothly and perfect. Key moves smooth in the ignition as well.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:15 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Check the clutch interlock switch. If it is not making its just like trying to start the car without depressing the clutch. If its a trip check the switch on the brake pedal.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:19 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
Check the clutch interlock switch. If it is not making its just like trying to start the car without depressing the clutch. If its a trip check the switch on the brake pedal.
It's a tiptronic
Old 08-01-2013, 02:32 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Okay since it is a tip check the brake pedal interlock switch
Even though the following is an explaination of the a volkswagon tip, I would think the Porsche tip has something very similar
The tiptronic switch asm uses HAL sensors and magnets. There are two magnets, a very tiny brick shapped one, a cyclinder shaped one. The cyclinder shaped one is in a little bracket that slides/snaps to a plastic carrier strip. What will happen is the bracket that holds the cyclinder magnet will pop loose and move back about 1mm, just enough to screw with you. shaped magnet, see if you can push it in (the bracket is kind of "wedge" shape), if you push in on it (towards the center of the asm), you should feel it click into place and the edge will be even/flush with the part it is fitted to.

It seems this switch is under the gear shift selector bezel
Old 08-01-2013, 02:54 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

Since you worked on the stereo for a while, you did drain the battery. These cars do funny things when the battery goes really low. But you charged it, maybe the battery is no good.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:15 PM
EVOL660
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
Okay since it is a tip check the brake pedal interlock switch
Even though the following is an explaination of the a volkswagon tip, I would think the Porsche tip has something very similar
The tiptronic switch asm uses HAL sensors and magnets. There are two magnets, a very tiny brick shapped one, a cyclinder shaped one. The cyclinder shaped one is in a little bracket that slides/snaps to a plastic carrier strip. What will happen is the bracket that holds the cyclinder magnet will pop loose and move back about 1mm, just enough to screw with you. shaped magnet, see if you can push it in (the bracket is kind of "wedge" shape), if you push in on it (towards the center of the asm), you should feel it click into place and the edge will be even/flush with the part it is fitted to.

It seems this switch is under the gear shift selector bezel
I will check into this, never heard about it.

OCNYPORSCHE - Changed the battery to a new one. Still the same.

Quick Reply: "gear selector not engaged"