Sponsored by:

I'd like to lower my car, any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 11:44 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd do it completely and have 5 years on this with no issues:

coilovers (JIC's in my case, a very tuneable, repairable option...were sort of the "hot" option then, today I'd do the top tier kw's...)
top tier links/arms/sways and top tier hardware
CORNER BALANCE AND ALIGNMENT by a good shop that is used to this. I had things dialed into slightly better tire wear rather than ultimate handling....probably has saved me a LOT of dollars in tires and (frankly) I don't have the cahonas even at a DE to wag the tail so hard that my ad08's cannot hold the car....

Oh, had it set up to Porsche European GT2 spec's. That was something the shop had on hand via their software/hardware and it just seemed to be a great compromise for all around use. That assumption has held up for my needs.

Attached are the specs as posted by Dan at Vivid a few years ago. Pretty sure these are what I have too...would have to pull out my paperwork..... save my rear tires probably have less camber....

Cup car owning instructors have been very surprised at the car, even on street tires. It is still awe inspiring every day.

Jeff
Attached Images  
Old 07-12-2013, 01:45 AM
NYC996x50
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The NSX dude
I've searched and searched for a X73 suspension since I bought the car. It's not a daily driver and I won't be tracking it. I'm thinking just a set of springs, your thoughts? Please post a pic of your setup.
I was in the same exact boat as you. I originally planned on going with H&R lowering springs but read a few threads where the stock struts would fail. Then I figured I would go with the x73 but they're now impossible to find. Eventually I decided to go with the H&R street performance coil overs. I didn't need the adjustable dampening. You can read about my thoughts on them on my build thread. I got the H&R coilovers for $1900 with shipping. You could probably get them lower if there's a group buy or some special from a sponsored vendor.

My coilover installation and alignment cost about $1000. It's aligned to 996tt spec; I figured I didn't need gt2 negative camber. Also, I have the ride height set as high as it can go which is still kinda low. The ride height at the front lip is 4.8"... the size of Pepsi Next can With that said, I didn't need any camber or adjustable toe kits. I also decided not to go with corner balancing; I thought it was overkill for the street. My car has an aggressive stance and it corners flat so life is good!
Old 07-12-2013, 06:01 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
Oh, had it set up to Porsche European GT2 spec's. That was something the shop had on hand via their software/hardware and it just seemed to be a great compromise for all around use. That assumption has held up for my needs.

Attached are the specs as posted by Dan at Vivid a few years ago. Pretty sure these are what I have too...would have to pull out my paperwork..... save my rear tires probably have less camber....

Cup car owning instructors have been very surprised at the car, even on street tires. It is still awe inspiring every day.
Be very careful with alignment and ride heights. The PSS9/10's don't do well with GT2 ride heights at ALL (ask me how I know). I'm sure the JIC's don't suffer the same as the Bilstein, but it's an important data point as you consider your options.

I would also do things one change at a time until you find what your optimum is, rather than making a ton of changes all at once. When you introduce multiple variables all at once, you may not be able to figure out which one caused your problem or trait in your situation.

Not criticizing JCB's approach, just I might take a little different tact than his.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:50 PM
blockhed
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 103 Posts

I'm local I can give you a ride on my car with v3's
Old 07-13-2013, 12:41 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Out of curiosity, the curent stock setup seems to have a tendancy to make the rear tiures wear, can't imagine using the GT2 specs which in essence uses wider tires. Think the GT2 specs might cause even quicker wear with less tire surface contact due to narrower tires.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:10 AM
SSST
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love my X73 and think the ride height and handling are about perfect. However, since the X73 is no longer available, I would go full coil over. PSS10 would be my first choice for a street car.

You don't need GT2 alignment specs for a street car. Keep it simple, avoid problems.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:19 AM
blockhed
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 103 Posts

its not the gt2 spec that causes the tire wear it's the fact that the geometry goes out after a while and you need rear locking plates to keep them in check. I have no issues getting 8-10k miles on a set of rears, toyo r888's.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:32 AM
GeorgeLPorsche
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know a lot of people use the Bilstein PSS10 set and are very happy.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:07 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

CincyScott makes a good point...agree. PSS9/10's cannot do that alignment. Forgot about that, sorry.

I went full package as I wanted it to be basically as good in handling as I could make it...the JIC's are fully adjustable and more like the KWv3's than the PSS9/10's in that regard. I run them relatively soft and the ride is actually better than stock. The JIC's were a more track oriented package when I got them than the PSS9's at the time. Forgot to add I have added the WEVO motor mounts. Not a huge difference, but they help with precision too. I have a giant shifter a la old cup car too...so take what I say a bit with a grain of salt.

Tire wear is way better than it was stock fwiw. Even at DE's. I don't run out of grip either.

Ride is surgical...like a lotus or gt3 really.

Have had zero problems. Great parts and great mechanics helped get it that way....I just listened.

The car is just right...for me and my needs/wants. Just define your plans and go for it.

It seems my coilovers are still available...they were off the NA market for a bit...not saying to get them, but look at the features being shown and compare that feature set to the Bilsteins and the KW's.

http://cross-na.com/ViewProduct1.asp...8&CarMakeID=14

Jeff

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 07-14-2013 at 02:33 PM.

Quick Reply: I'd like to lower my car, any advice?