Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at 911 Turbo to buy

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 09:41 PM
PK911
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 36 Posts

I believe this is the car you are looking at: http://www.northjerseyautomall.com/w...BO-911%20turbo

$50k sounds reasonable but for that price you should expect a clean PPI and clean history.

GL.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:52 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Forgive me for my lack of current knowledge of Turbo pricing.

I just checked Kelly Blue Book and was happy to find out my Turbo could be be worth up to $18K more than I paid for it 2 years ago. I looked on Ebay`and cars like mine are going for thousands more than I paid. I guess buying in the pit of the recession was a good deal after all. Values on all 996 Turbos seem to have come up a lot over the last 2-3 years when I was looking daily. Good news for all of us owners.

FWIW, 2 1/2 years ago I had a PPI done at Premier Motors on a nice '05 Turbo S Cab, Tip, Seal Grey, 99k miles, for $28K in Las Vegas. The car passed but front brake pads were thin an a couple of hoses were recommended to be replaced, total $1300 bill. The owner was a pilot and even offered to pick me up and fly my wife and I to Vegas to see the car and would fly us back if I didn't want to buy it. Too weird of a deal, he only gave me 24 hours after the PPI to commit. I passed. I found an '02 at a Volvo dealer here about the same time for $31K 45K miles, Coupe, Tip, chipped, exhaust, PSS10, had a PPI, several owners, several issues (fixed) in the history. I passed, ended up on Ebay sold by Law Cars in the Midwest for $40K.

Last edited by nick49; 03-28-2013 at 02:07 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:12 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Turbo
They are asking $50K The car looks flawless. I'm going to be putting it up on the lift today but not sure what to look for exactly. Would I be paying too much at $50K?

if so only by a cpl grand. sometimes ( ok usually ) it's worth paying a premium for a premium car. combo of those mods and miles bode well. throw it on a lift, checki it out thoroughly, ands offer 47.5. good luck, it sounds like a winner.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:17 AM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 250 Posts

If one is to use KBB as a reference then pricing has definitely risen. When I bought my car 2.5 years ago I paid a premium over KBB for a low mileage pristine car. Now the car books for $2k more than I paid for it! If I were to list it for sale today, which I'm toying with the idea, I would try to find someone that would appreciate the upgrades I've done and be willing to pay a premium for them before I returned the car to stock for the general market. If the mods OP is looking at are a match to that car then he can save a lot of cash buying that car versus a stock example. Mods raise the bar for a detailed PPI and overall scrutiny but nothing wrong with that. Good Luck!
Old 03-28-2013, 10:44 PM
Red Turbo
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. I drove the car yesterday and it runs strong. I was told that the clutch had just been replaced. If that is the case would they typically replaced the rear seals at that time? The car is on consignment and I can't speak directly with the owner. It sounds like he just doesn't want to deal directly with potential buyers. I checked under the car without it being put on the lift and there doesn’t seem to be any leaks. If this still needs to be done, any idea on what it might cost? Also what is a PPI… a Porsche inspection? If so what do they typically go over?

Thanks,

Jay
Old 03-28-2013, 11:24 PM
nick49
Drifting

Thanks for the info. I drove the car yesterday and it runs strong. I was told that the clutch had just been replaced. If that is the case would they typically replaced the rear seals at that time? The car is on consignment and I can't speak directly with the owner. It sounds like he just doesn't want to deal directly with potential buyers. I checked under the car without it being put on the lift and there doesn’t seem to be any leaks. If this still needs to be done, any idea on what it might cost? Also what is a PPI… a Porsche inspection? If so what do they typically go over?

Thanks,

Jay
PPI = Pre Purchase Inspection, I was lucky and a prospective buyer just had one done and the seller gave me a copy.

The Porsche dealer that did mine used a CPO checklist, see here:

http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/Certi...-checklist.pdf

This is pretty comprehensive and may cost up to $300+ from a dealer. If you are really knowledgeable about cars and all thing mechanical, you can put together your own and have a dealer or Porsche Indy check what you want.

I've done this, as I work on vehicles for a living and know what things are important to me. Keep in mind you are buying a car that sold for up to $170K and parts and labor are priced accordingly. A new Turbo motor is about $75K, FWIW.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:48 AM
Red Turbo
5th Gear

Wow $75k for a new motor...
Old 03-29-2013, 11:51 AM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Wow $75k for a new motor...
NOT
Old 03-29-2013, 02:21 PM
Danyol
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sanyata
NOT
Porsche list prices maybe but it will still be a serious shock for anyone coming from say the Corvette world. We hear lots of numbers thrown around but you wouldn't be far away from $20k with labor, fluids ect
Old 03-30-2013, 12:19 AM
nick49
Drifting

Actually in the crate from a dealer $76K to $92K for a new motor.

http://www.jimellisporscheparts.com/...rimLevel=18178
Old 03-30-2013, 01:26 PM
The NSX dude
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by nick49
Actually in the crate from a dealer $76K to $92K for a new motor.

http://www.jimellisporscheparts.com/...rimLevel=18178
Now thats funny
Old 03-30-2013, 01:37 PM
Silberwolfen
Racer

Thanks,

Jay
If the car is on consignment, not sure why the seller wouldn't want to speak to you about the car. I went through this a few months back with a Nissan GT-R. The previous owner setup a time with me to talk on the phone---and when he did it completely scared me off from the car. His story and the story being offered by the dealership weren't making sense. The sales guy was telling me one thing, and the owner another. My guess is that he over-modded the GT-R and just decided to dump it. I would never have known that without "cross-checking" their stories. Something can look really good sitting on a dealer lot (with a quick drive around the block) but not knowing what lurks underneath could be costly. I'm not saying this is the case with your 996T...but I would insist on speaking with the actual owner. Not sure why someone selling a car on consignment wouldn't take 15 minutes and talk to you unless there was some reason for it. But, the choice is yours. You could be pleasantly surprised with a gem, or surprised at something else that pops up after a couple weeks of driving it.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:57 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I was told that the clutch had just been replaced. If that is the case would they typically replaced the rear seals at that time?
i would sure hope so. yes.

Also what is a PPI… a Porsche inspection? If so what do they typically go over?
it's a fancy acronym for a guy looking at the car. porsche dealers use their standardized CertifiedPreOwned checklist which consists of approx 150 items they check off from the horn, to tire/brake pad tread depth/wear etc etc. as i recall it does NOT include a dme readout which IS key ( check for multiple "type 2's"..they aren't kosher..)

it's ( the cpo list..) pretty comprehensive, and never as good as a PRIVATELY obtained ( and paid for ) ppi. dealers are only good for stock cars, warranty work, or if no other option exists, i have found. i've bought new ones, old ones,.. and still avoid dealers whenever possible. i think that car you're looking at is probably a stellar specimen, and well worth 45/47k. maybe? 50k..but only if you want it badly. GL!
Old 03-30-2013, 05:12 PM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Danyol
Porsche list prices maybe but it will still be a serious shock for anyone coming from say the Corvette world. We hear lots of numbers thrown around but you wouldn't be far away from $20k with labor, fluids ect
This seems to be the number floated around the most whenever engines are discussed. A serious number indeed but a far cry from $75k.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:32 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,432 Posts

Originally Posted by robertgalka
Where are you finding all of the cheap cars? I've been looking for eight months and there isn't anything nice with low mileage for under 45K. Most in the low 40k range have a lot of miles.
There is a low milage 996TT listed in this months PCA mag for low $40k.

Quick Reply: Looking at 911 Turbo to buy