Sponsored by:

Opininons On This 2002 Turbo Tiptronic

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 07:55 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuorbillon
Just got a call from Tony at LamborghiniChicago. He disclosed to me that they found a small transmission leak or seapage on the tiptronic. They took it next door to Naperville Porsche and it turns out that in order to resolve the leak the engine has to come out. About $2,600 job. They asked if I could pay for part of it. I decided not to go see it. They were honset enough to let me know before I took a long drive. I was wondering if the engine is droped for service how much extra would it cost to do the spark plugs and any other 30K mile service. Car has 27,500 miles. I was thinking I would need this done soon and it's about $1500 for the service anyway. Is there any other work that should be done since the engine is out.
You should ask the dealer that would drop the engine to resolve the Tip leak.

I would think not much savings. The plugs parts cost is the same. While the plugs are exposed they are not otherwise touched. So there's that "time".

If the 30K mile service consists of an oil/filter service generally an engine drop doesn't have the oil drained. That's extra. Also, the oil/filter service should be done when the engine can be run to warm up the engine to the desired drain temp and to be able to run it after to verify the oil level is correct.

There's the coolant... But when the engine is dropped the tech will pinch off the hoses and just drain what he has to to avoid making a mess on the service bay floor under the car when he disconnects the hoses from the engine.

The drained coolant is captured and returned to the cooling system afterwards with a bit of top up if necessary.

Of course if the water pump shows signs of a leak it should be replaced. Not sure I'd have this replaced otherwise.

If there are any engine oil leaks these should be addressed at the time the engine is out of the car.

If the rear axle CV boots are cracked/split or just sad looking maybe these can be done. However the engine R&R doesn't have the half shafts apart so that's extra expense.

And after everything is all buttoned up have the car aligned just to start out on the right foot so to speak.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:22 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Sounds like a harbinger of things to come. I'd look for something stock, wo wood, that's an impossible resale.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:08 AM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Napleton Porsche is the dealer next door; they are good folks. I have had a lot of work done by them over the years and while expensive( as are all dealers) they have always done good work. I think they would point out anything they see when the car is apart, and my read is the Lambo dealers wouldn't try to hide it. These guys have a good rep and I don't think they stay in business selling high end cars by screwing people over.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:50 PM
Tuorbillon
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Last930
Napleton Porsche is the dealer next door; they are good folks. I have had a lot of work done by them over the years and while expensive( as are all dealers) they have always done good work. I think they would point out anything they see when the car is apart, and my read is the Lambo dealers wouldn't try to hide it. These guys have a good rep and I don't think they stay in business selling high end cars by screwing people over.
When I was looking at the Carfax I saw that there was a service or claim about a leaky transmission. I questioned them about this. First they told me it will be a minor fix. Later that day Tony at Lamborghini was very upfront with the issue they discovered. My only problem is they asked me to cover part of the $2600 repair bill. I don't feel like I should pay towards fixing a leaky transmission seal. According to them it is so small that if you keep watch out and refill to proper level it would be OK. They will have to fix this or take hit on the price. I think this is the reason car hasn't sold for 5 months.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:14 PM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's the verdict-are you still going to look at it?
Old 01-21-2013, 03:04 AM
88clbsport
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't think it's a deal breaker at all...

Sounds like a great car at good price and although I have been lurking for a while, I have an '02 x50 tip and it's an amazing car. Never thought I would go for a tip, but it's impressive and MBZ build them strong. I had a similar situation with mine around 40k miles and we did all the seals, plugs, coils, and the bottom doesn't have any leaks whatsoever.

Someone said on this or another post related, 115k car...most x50's I have seen are 130k+ orig msrp.

I can't see x50s below 40k(with under 60k miles) for some time to come. With all of the recent articles lauding how undervalued and under appreciated the 996's are, you can't do much better than the x50.

I have driven and raced a lot of Porsches and bang for buck, nothing touches it.

Best of luck,

Jason
Old 01-21-2013, 10:06 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

When I was looking at the Carfax I saw that there was a service or claim about a leaky transmission. I questioned them about this. First they told me it will be a minor fix. Later that day Tony at Lamborghini was very upfront with the issue they discovered. My only problem is they asked me to cover part of the $2600 repair bill. I don't feel like I should pay towards fixing a leaky transmission seal. According to them it is so small that if you keep watch out and refill to proper level it would be OK. They will have to fix this or take hit on the price. I think this is the reason car hasn't sold for 5 months.
Regarding the comment about the leak being small and if you keep watch and refill it would be ok...

Remember: Anything a car salesman tells you is intended to get you to buy the car as soon as possible and pay as much for it as possible.

A leaky Tip is not something I would want in my used car.

Generally the leak will get worse. Those exceptions that do not get worse are rare and not a bet I'd like to make with my hard earned money.

Even if this is the exception and the leak remains stable in the meantime you have the added burden of monitoring Tip fluid levels and keeping the level topped up. I am not Tip experienced but IRRC adding fluid to a Tip requires that it be at a certain temperature. This is not a task that is as easy at checking the washer fluid reservoir level and topping it up with water/cleaner every so often.

Maybe too early or not even applicable but when (if) you go to sell or trade in the car then you have to convince the buyer the leak is benign.

The leak may just be the small tip of a very large iceberg too.

What I would be worried about is along with the leak there is something else wrong and the Tip may not be performing up to snuff.

Even if you decide to proceed on this car be sure you take the car for an extended test ride/drive to get the engine (and in this context) the Tip nice and warm and experience the car first as a passenger (so you can really focus on the car's behavior without being distracted by the task of driving the car) then as a driver.

The route should cover 15 miles and give the driver a chance to demo the car in a variety of driving scenarios.

This number has come from Porsche techs. They tell me they like to have an engine run around an hour as part of their checkout of a trade in or auction car unless they are quite familiar with the car already because it has been regularly and recently for service.

The test ride then drive is intended to give the car and in this case especially the Tip (but do not ignore the engine and the rest of the car) a chance to manifest any untoward behavior.

Along with the usual test ride/drive "tests" ask the driver on you test drive to demo the car's behavior in changing directions from forward to reverse to forward again. You want to exercise the Tip controller and the very complex hydraulic system in the Tip extensively cold and then after the test ride when you are driving the car with the engine/Tip hot.

If afterwards you can find no reason to suspect the Tip has anything against it other than a leak... well, it is your call. But at least you know at least at this time the Tip is working ok. The leak is just a leak...
Old 01-21-2013, 01:10 PM
turbo4 me
Instructor

Why would you pay half of the cost of their problem? Truth is, if you buy that car at any price you are taking a big problem off their hands.

Let's see, a Tip (that leaks); wood grained interior (which 90% of buyers hate); inventory on lot for 5 months (see items 1 and 2 plus what else is wrong with it?)

Run Forest Run!
Old 01-21-2013, 03:16 PM
westsiderkg
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 91 Posts

Disagree completely! I love the factory wood appearance versus some of the other “more bland” color options. Not sure the 90% can be validated…is this the start of a friendly poll perhaps? Anyway, the interior on this car in question here appears to be gorgeous IMHO! Even considering this minor issue its a great price and no matter how thorough you are going to be in your search, each and every pre-owned 996tt you’re going to look at will have some form of issue, so its more a matter of how much cash you are willing to spend in reserve out of the gate. For instance, during my search I had PPI's done on 4-5 different 996tt’s before buying. Even on the “ideal” one I still had to drop a few grand to get it close to "perfect". Look at it this way, at least you know what to expect now and honestly a few grand is a mere drop in the bucket. Also, once you take the motor out you can easily update other items (i.e like spark plugs, water pump, belts, etc.) with ease and at little additional cost. Tell the dealer (no affiliation) to split it with you and call it a day, that’s what I would do for such a beautiful example and such low mileage. Good luck regardless, but unless you’re looking for a museum piece (at about $20k more) they will all have something in this price range.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:23 PM
MBH
8th Gear

RUN FROM THAT CAR ! !

OK, so I registered on here just to throw this out there - I was going to buy that car from Tony @ Lamborghini Chicago. If you haven't seen it in person, save yourself the trip.

The windshield is basically sand blasted, had two stone chips in it. Both of the nuccios said I was being dramatic, and that it was a "solid 9 out of 10"

I have literally NO good words to say about the dealership, been around cars/dealerships my entire life, and this was one for the books IMO. I'm not going to waste any more time out of my life on these guys, but I'd be happy to help tell you all of the things wrong with THAT car.

I drove 7 hours to see a car that was, with all due respect, beat to **** & run into the ground. If they were even remotely honest about the condition of the car, I'd have no hard feelings, but there is not a single clean panel on the entire car. The right rear fender turbo duct also has a few dents they tried to have pulled and buffed out (looks like somebody turned into a light post or something...) the passenger side window has a big scratch in it, the rear window has a couple scratches in it too. The rear bumper has been hit at least 3 times from what I could see, there are little scratches all over the car, the clear bra is coming up in a number of places (so if that's something you're counting on, consider that it needs to be redone).

I was the one that pointed out the transmission leak to them in the first place, there was a lot of fluid under that car. The transmission also made a grind noise at low speed, and the car had more rattles than I've heard in either of the others I've driven. OH and they told me that it was a $300 repair. I just had that done on the tiptronic 03 I bought, and I can check my service bill to see what it cost - but that's just business as usual IMO, completely lying to you because they think you're dumb. Don't split any price with them, not your fault they have a POS on their lot. Like I said, RUN away, don't just walk away.

I drove out to Chicago specifically to buy that car, and I couldn't be more disappointed. I owned a car that was an 03, and "that's normal for a 10 year old car" just doesn't fly unless there was some serious odometer tampering on it.

Message me if you want any more info, I'm on 6 speed if I'm too new of a member to get PMs on here. Same user name.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:24 PM
MBH
8th Gear

Originally Posted by turbo4 me
Why would you pay half of the cost of their problem? Truth is, if you buy that car at any price you are taking a big problem off their hands.

Let's see, a Tip (that leaks); wood grained interior (which 90% of buyers hate); inventory on lot for 5 months (see items 1 and 2 plus what else is wrong with it?)

Run Forest Run!
Exactly. I went out to buy the car, and it was horrible. They're going to try to pass this pile off onto somebody else and wipe their hands of it.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:32 PM
westsiderkg
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 91 Posts

After reading the last two comments I will respectfully I retract my previous comments and would also personally take a pass (unless the dealership paid to fix it all at a authorized and independent to them Porsche dealership). The 4-5 PPI’s I performed were also with dealership cars, and unfortunately, I eventually saw through each one of their “stories” and unrealistic repair estimates too. In the end I purchased from a private party who knew their car inside and out. I actually paid a few grand more buying from a private party, but at least I had the peace of mind knowing they knew the car (pluses and minuses) and were truthful enough to tell me so I had no real surprises. Maybe this will help you too, but everyone’s purchasing experience is different. If I were to do it again I would look for a caring and knowledgeable private party sale though and trust your gut instinct. Good luck and remember, patience is a virtue (one I am still learning myself).
Old 01-23-2013, 08:37 PM
Tuorbillon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MBH
RUN FROM THAT CAR ! !

OK, so I registered on here just to throw this out there - I was going to buy that car from Tony @ Lamborghini Chicago. If you haven't seen it in person, save yourself the trip.

The windshield is basically sand blasted, had two stone chips in it. Both of the nuccios said I was being dramatic, and that it was a "solid 9 out of 10"

I have literally NO good words to say about the dealership, been around cars/dealerships my entire life, and this was one for the books IMO. I'm not going to waste any more time out of my life on these guys, but I'd be happy to help tell you all of the things wrong with THAT car.

I drove 7 hours to see a car that was, with all due respect, beat to **** & run into the ground. If they were even remotely honest about the condition of the car, I'd have no hard feelings, but there is not a single clean panel on the entire car. The right rear fender turbo duct also has a few dents they tried to have pulled and buffed out (looks like somebody turned into a light post or something...) the passenger side window has a big scratch in it, the rear window has a couple scratches in it too. The rear bumper has been hit at least 3 times from what I could see, there are little scratches all over the car, the clear bra is coming up in a number of places (so if that's something you're counting on, consider that it needs to be redone).

I was the one that pointed out the transmission leak to them in the first place, there was a lot of fluid under that car. The transmission also made a grind noise at low speed, and the car had more rattles than I've heard in either of the others I've driven. OH and they told me that it was a $300 repair. I just had that done on the tiptronic 03 I bought, and I can check my service bill to see what it cost - but that's just business as usual IMO, completely lying to you because they think you're dumb. Don't split any price with them, not your fault they have a POS on their lot. Like I said, RUN away, don't just walk away.

I drove out to Chicago specifically to buy that car, and I couldn't be more disappointed. I owned a car that was an 03, and "that's normal for a 10 year old car" just doesn't fly unless there was some serious odometer tampering on it.

Message me if you want any more info, I'm on 6 speed if I'm too new of a member to get PMs on here. Same user name.
Thanks for the post. I am glad I decided not to go there. From talking on the phone I was told car was really nice with no major cosmetic issues. Similar thing happened to me when I drove from Cleveland to upstate NY to see a 2004 at Orange County BMW. Lady sales person utterly lied to me when she described the car. There was scratches and small dings. Carpet had a rip. It smelled like cheap carpet shampoo. No leather smell left. Sometimes they post grainy photos on purpose so you can't see the details. Thanks all for the the comments and advice. It's tough finding right car for the right price.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:35 AM
The NSX dude
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

Similar thing happened to me when I drove from Cleveland to upstate NY to see a 2004 at Orange County BMW. Lady sales person utterly lied to me when she described the car. There was scratches and small dings. Carpet had a rip. It smelled like cheap carpet shampoo. No leather smell left. Sometimes they post grainy photos on purpose so you can't see the details. Thanks all for the the comments and advice. It's tough finding right car for the right price.
Too funny. I was watching that one but something about it scared me. An 04 with those miles for $42.5k? Seemed too good to be true.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:07 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

It's tough finding right car for the right price.
your wife likes the tip, and you've found one that's leaking and it has wood interior. my advice? avoid that one for all three reasons. get the 6mt. it doesn't drip. also, if you can the x50 is a significant improvement on an '02. i still miss that one. also don't pay to fix stuff on cars that aren't yours yet. good luck. you'll find this platform more rewarding than your previous mbz, i would think.

Quick Reply: Opininons On This 2002 Turbo Tiptronic