Sponsored by:

Opininons On This 2002 Turbo Tiptronic

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 05:40 PM
Misplacedyankee
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
GThe 02 Boxster I got at nearly $5k under its list price. No one wanted a lapis blue base Boxster.
I had an 02 lapis blue boxster S I just sold at market price in under 2 weeks. Never thought of that color as off the beaten path when I bought. I did get a good deal at the time, but it was dead of winter in NYC. Just saying. Was surprised you thought that color was "different".
Old 01-13-2013, 06:00 PM
sprinky911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey tuorbillon- stopped by the dealer to check it out and sorry to say that it was upstairs inside w/ the lambos and other exotics!! i really wanted to check out the color of that wood grain too- i will continue to follow ur post to see if our fellow rennlister is able to stop on monday- i could stop during the week if needed- i will say tho, that the dealer does have a good reputation for the condition of the vehicles they sell- good luck!!!
Old 01-13-2013, 07:34 PM
Tuorbillon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sprinky911
hey tuorbillon- stopped by the dealer to check it out and sorry to say that it was upstairs inside w/ the lambos and other exotics!! i really wanted to check out the color of that wood grain too- i will continue to follow ur post to see if our fellow rennlister is able to stop on monday- i could stop during the week if needed- i will say tho, that the dealer does have a good reputation for the condition of the vehicles they sell- good luck!!!
Thanks for for looking. I guess it's good that they keep it inside. I appriciate your help! I heard Chicago is supposed to get hit with a blizzar.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:38 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Misplacedyankee
I had an 02 lapis blue boxster S I just sold at market price in under 2 weeks. Never thought of that color as off the beaten path when I bought. I did get a good deal at the time, but it was dead of winter in NYC. Just saying. Was surprised you thought that color was "different".
Well, it was different in that it wasn't sliver or black. Seems these colors are preferred because they are seen as more desirable when time to move the car on. Resale value was not my concern when I was shopping for my Boxster.

This car was languishing on the dealer's lot.

Actually it was languishing in the dealer's underground parking/storage garage.

Even in the dim light I really liked the color and having owned a white car for 7 years and a titanium silver car for a few months the lapis blue really caught my eye. The metropole blue top just added icing to the cake.

Surprisingly after I bought the car I received many compliments on its color (and looks, too, cause we all know how gorgeous 02 Boxsters are...best looking MY ever and don't tell anybody but the fastest MY too).

Just 2 months after buying the lapis blue Boxster I bought its garage mate: a galactic blue VW Golf TDi. Seems I was in my blue period.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:57 PM
Tuorbillon
Intermediate

Well, it was different in that it wasn't sliver or black. Seems these colors are preferred because they are seen as more desirable when time to move the car on. Resale value was not my concern when I was shopping for my Boxster.

This car was languishing on the dealer's lot.

Actually it was languishing in the dealer's underground parking/storage garage.

Even in the dim light I really liked the color and having owned a white car for 7 years and a titanium silver car for a few months the lapis blue really caught my eye. The metropole blue top just added icing to the cake.

Surprisingly after I bought the car I received many compliments on its color (and looks, too, cause we all know how gorgeous 02 Boxsters are...best looking MY ever and don't tell anybody but the fastest MY too).

Just 2 months after buying the lapis blue Boxster I bought its garage mate: a galactic blue VW Golf TDi. Seems I was in my blue period.
My only Porsche so far was guards red 1988 944S. It was while back. I really liked that cars handeling. Very good car. I am now looking at the 996 turbo since they are more reliable engine than the NA engines. I did consider Boxster S also. They are a good value. Main reason I didn't pursue it is we wanted a coupe.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:14 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuorbillon
My only Porsche so far was guards red 1988 944S. It was while back. I really liked that cars handeling. Very good car. I am now looking at the 996 turbo since they are more reliable engine than the NA engines. I did consider Boxster S also. They are a good value. Main reason I didn't pursue it is we wanted a coupe.
I use my 02 Boxster as a "coupe" in that I never drive with the top down. The cabin is quiet, comfortable -- big/powerful heater/AC small cabin -- and the ride supple compared to my 03 Turbo.

It helps too the Boxster rides on 17" wheels/tires while the Turbo rides on 18" wheels/tires.

But the Turbo is a more stiffly sprung car the Boxster. The Boxster has oodles of luggage space and a spare tire. The Turbo has an inflatable spare tire and that dual/saddle gas tank really shrinks the front trunk.

The view out of the Turbo is better though.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:10 PM
Tuorbillon
Intermediate

I emailed the dealer regarding the car since it didn't have any bids. I told them I would be willing to come out and look at the car if the price range was around $40K. They came back and said best they would do is $44K. I figured since nobody bid on it at $42K they should probobly sell it at lower price but they didn't go for it. I bet they relist it with lower "Buy It Now" price.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:41 PM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went by the dealer and took a look at it today; it's in pretty nice shape. There is one small - dime sized or less - scrape on the rear bumper and a couple of small scratches near rhe rear window where it looks like the wiper blade might have come off of the frame. The front of the car has 3-m type clear bra material on it; there are a few blemishes in that but it didn't look like anything had gone down to the paint. The front spoiler lip is a little scraped up - not broken but I'd replace it if it were my car at some point. The interior is in very nice shape, I didn't see any rips, tears, etc. The wood is darker that the pictures show it - it isn't orange-ish. It's definately an eye-of-the-beholder thing. They did some work to get it up to snuff - new rear tires and a couple other things according to their salesman.

All together a pretty nice car in my opinion; the wood trim issue being the only thing to think about. I can't believe however that you couldn't find used pieces around to replace them if you found you really hated them, I'm sure they could be covered with black leather at any decent interior shop also. Some of those wood parts are painted silver from the factory on my TT; I don't know why that couldn't be done over a weekend also.

The car is upstairs in an indoor showroom so a test drive is a project there I'm sure. It was sitting out in front until recently.

Good luck!

Last edited by Last930; 01-14-2013 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 01-14-2013, 05:28 PM
sprinky911
Intermediate

just a thought if u were to make a trip this way- there is another 02 turbo for sale about 10-15 from there u could also look at. black w/ 23,000 miles. you can google- "imotors naperville "to get u to there site- i could go look at for u if u want- its only 2 mins. from the house!
Old 01-14-2013, 07:08 PM
Tuorbillon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Last930
I went by the dealer and took a look at it today; it's in pretty nice shape. There is one small - dime sized or less - scrape on the rear bumper and a couple of small scratches near rhe rear window where it looks like the wiper blade might have come off of the frame. The front of the car has 3-m type clear bra material on it; there are a few blemishes in that but it didn't look like anything had gone down to the paint. The front spoiler lip is a little scraped up - not broken but I'd replace it if it were my car at some point. The interior is in very nice shape, I didn't see any rips, tears, etc. The wood is darker that the pictures show it - it isn't orange-ish. It's definately an eye-of-the-beholder thing. They did some work to get it up to snuff - new rear tires and a couple other things according to their salesman.

All together a pretty nice car in my opinion; the wood trim issue being the only thing to think about. I can't believe however that you couldn't find used pieces around to replace them if you found you really hated them, I'm sure they could be covered with black leather at any decent interior shop also. Some of those wood parts are painted silver from the factory on my TT; I don't know why that couldn't be done over a weekend also.

The car is upstairs in an indoor showroom so a test drive is a project there I'm sure. It was sitting out in front until recently.

Good luck!
Thanks for the leg work. It sounds like the car is in a good shape. I will see if the salesman can lower the price a little bit. It's good that the wood looks darker than the photos. I can probobly learn to like it.

Thanks again
Old 01-15-2013, 11:25 AM
westsiderkg
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 91 Posts

$44k is a very good price IMO if this is what your looking for. The wood (I prefer) is very hard to find. Some like it, some don't, but its a rarer option than the standard. Good luck.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:17 PM
Tuorbillon
Intermediate

I made arrangements to go see the car Monday. Seems like the dealer has good reputation. I hope Porsche looks and drives excellent. If everything turns out good I am trading in my 2005 E55 AMG with 52K miles.They offered a fair trade in price. I hope the 420 HP turbo is as quick as the 469 HP mercedes. I read that the tiptronic on the Porsche is a Mercedes transmission. I am happy with my AMG tranny. It's smooth and it shifts excellent. With the porsche being lighter the overall quickness should be better.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:31 PM
Misplacedyankee
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

So true on all counts. Man that car was great - nothing like the 996 TT x50, but really nice. I always got head turns and had the same top color as you. I will always be fond of my first Porsche. Many more to come after her though...
Old 01-17-2013, 11:21 PM
sprinky911
Intermediate

glad to hear you are going to check it out- hope it works for you- you will be able to check our the heater that day, suppose to be like 12 degrees on monday - good luck!
Old 01-18-2013, 06:26 PM
Tuorbillon
Intermediate

Just got a call from Tony at LamborghiniChicago. He disclosed to me that they found a small transmission leak or seapage on the tiptronic. They took it next door to Naperville Porsche and it turns out that in order to resolve the leak the engine has to come out. About $2,600 job. They asked if I could pay for part of it. I decided not to go see it. They were honset enough to let me know before I took a long drive. I was wondering if the engine is droped for service how much extra would it cost to do the spark plugs and any other 30K mile service. Car has 27,500 miles. I was thinking I would need this done soon and it's about $1500 for the service anyway. Is there any other work that should be done since the engine is out.

Quick Reply: Opininons On This 2002 Turbo Tiptronic