Sponsored by:

The Porsche Tax

Old 08-07-2012, 10:22 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
In defense of exhausts, the Europipe is an absolute work of art.
It is very highly regarded and has many satisfied customers.
Yes indeed.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:53 PM
quick968
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by turbosjedi
Discounting inflation, I paid more for my last engine (TSIO-550) than the 210 cost new in 1977. I was interested in the insurance costs, I had no idea till I looked it up what we pay here in Idaho..

2005 TurboS Cabriolet - $0.00 Detectable for Glass, $500.00 for collision, and all the rest costs me a tad under $840.00 per year. But that is with the multi discount, no accident, no speeding tickets, no kids under 25..... My wife, on the other hand, is a different story
Same here, the IO-520BB major was $4k more than the Bo cost when new. The McCauley C76 Prop OH was $8K. Flying is worse than Porsches and boats combined cost wise. But the joy of flying is a notch above Pcars on track IMO. I just realized you live in Eagle. I moved here to Gilbert 5 years ago from Eagle, worked at Micron. Had the Bo hangared at Caldwell Industrial, we lived in Countryside Estates just off Ballantyne. All together now, "It's a small world after all...."

Cheers
Mikey
Old 08-07-2012, 10:59 PM
quick968
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc

PMIC chips?
The successors to Ripley and Patron?

I must admit, my last iMX design used a TI 659108 rather than the FSC PMIC.

A little too much inside baseball, but yes. I worked on Patron, Ripley, Predator/Alien, Axis and Atlas. We just threw P-Core over the wall, who knows what will happen, the iMX guys seem to change their minds like we change our socks. New CEO last month, he may decide PMIC's are not a pool they want to swim in anyway.

Mikey
Old 08-07-2012, 11:07 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by quick968
Oh I'm hip to that perspective all right. My other "hobby"......trust me Cessna parts are a distant second to Beechcraft parts. However there are reasons aircraft parts are so spendy as you know, mostly having to do with product liability.

This still doesn't explain why vendors charge the prices for goodies now that they did when the cars were new. The R/D is long since amortized, the cars are now selling under $50K, yet the parts are priced right with the new 997/991TT goodies.

Look, I am ALL FOR vendors making a reasonable profit on their work, they have bills to pay and mouths to feed just like all of us. But $9700 for sub 20HP gains is roughly akin to comparing a hamburger selling for $100 at the Ritz Carlton vs $8 at Carl's Jr. It's still just a nice hamburger. The $100 price simply isn't justified by the R/D and ingredients cost. It's the branding you're paying for.

And Enrique, that wasn't necessarily aimed at you personally. You guys just started I realize, and your system is actually near the lower end of the scale. My bad for throwing you under the bus.

I realize this pricing is a perfect case of glorious capitalism on display, but that doesn't mean I have to like it,....or pay it.......even though I really want it.

Cheers
Mikey
Mike, I'm not offended. No worries I'm just explaining my point of view.

Originally Posted by blockhed
So lets see, if you want to buy cheap stuff there is companies out there but it also goes along the lines of you get what you paid for which in most cases the cheap sh*t is badly made. It never hurts to ask a vendor for a discount worst case scenario they say no, at the same time do you expect people to come to your work and always ask for your services cheaper since you been doing them for so long, no you get paid what you expect in most cases. A lot of sites have great sales and parts/pieces are on discount, winter time is best time to buy performance mods since most Porsche owners hide their cars for the cold weather, fail. I also mentioned before used parts, you can buy them most of the time with no worries as long as the member is verified and has been around for a while or simply ask for references. The always first mod, exhaust, it makes a world of difference and there is probaly some 15 -20 different options right now. I have heard or had about 6 of them from different vendors and let me tell you even the expensive stuff at times has issues. In the most recent I had straight pipes but with my new baby girl I decided to get an exhaust and spoke to Enrique about his EBwerks exhaust. Needless to say I purchased it and it sounds marvelous, it's a mix between a gt3 and a turbo, yes there car be a sound like that, glorious. I have buys chase me down to red lights just so they can complement the sound of the car. It's made very well, fit and finish are very nice and sound unlike any other TT exhaust you will by, I will vouch on that. Oh yeah it's also the least amount of $$$ out of anything on the market, great service and super fast shipping. I only feel bad that I haven't done as much raving about it as I should have but baby coming 2+ weeks early will do that. Bottom line is stop crying about prices it's Porsche and it'll cost money, wait until you do other major maintnance and see how much some of the stuff costs , get your tissues ready if you do not have warranty. In all seriousness if you need help or ideas PM me and I'd be more then willing, sarcasm aside. I've had my TT for 3 years, had it fully apart and just stopped modding it..for now
Originally Posted by blockhed
Wow why so.much for insurance? Im on full blown coverage at 1000 deductible with Flo aka progressive at $950/ year . Enrique stuff is top notch.
Thank you for the kinds words Adam. Can't wait to see pictures of your baby : )

Originally Posted by fly2low
Enrique - don't forget, you didn't do this - Obama

Originally Posted by ltc
In defense of exhausts, the Europipe is an absolute work of art.
It is very highly regarded and has many satisfied customers.
Porsche tax ( and foreign exchange rates and strength of the US dollar aside ) it is an example of "worth the money"

Indeed it is very well made exhaust. Way to quite for my taste though. Sounds to stock for me.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:15 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
Way to quite for my taste though. Sounds to stock for me.
You think the EP2 Loud is too quiet?
Old 08-08-2012, 12:50 AM
SSST
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to agree on the OPs point about exhaust cost. I would like a better sound and air flow, but it's not worth 4 grand for the Europipe IMO. I can afford it, but my personal utility won't allow it. I would pay 1500 to 2000 for a quality exhaust, but that's about it.

As for the UMW tune.... Worth every penny. That's a lot of bang for the buck. My X73 was also worth the money.

Exhaust costs on these cars is out of line though.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:01 AM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
You think the EP2 Loud is too quiet?
I have heard a EP, not sure which one. The owner even let me drive it and asked me what I thought. I think it's great for a quiet exhaust. It didn't get my blood going if I'm honest. Or else I would have one . , and never would have gone the path of making one. That said, I love road racing and I drive my car that way- AND I have a very high extreme tolerance / willing to sacrifice comfort for performance and beautiful noise like a GT3, and drive like a race car.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:12 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
I have heard a EP, not sure which one...I think it's great for a quiet exhaust.
Mt EP2 Loud is in no way quiet.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:17 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SSST
My EP2 Loud has been worth every penny.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:13 AM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in line for an EP2Q. Once you have heard one, others pale. I have done the crossed pipe thing, and loved the sound, but the places I drive my DD will not tolerate the sound level.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:39 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

As discussed above, there are several different versions of Europipe, depending on your preference for sound level.

On a side note, a less expensive exhaust option would be the Ruf exhaust, which is a modified OEM unit.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:00 AM
blockhed
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 103 Posts

The exhaust choices are all a personal one because we all vary in our taste in sound, volume and so forth.
Mikey no kids that old here thus the cheap cost but when my baby girl is ready to drive she is going right to Skip Barber school and learning the proper ways. I believe they have a one day course for some $500 for teenagers to help them understand, then again I'm already getting a car ready for soapbox derby in a town over and she is not even a week old
Old 08-08-2012, 10:55 AM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
Mt EP2 Loud is in no way quiet.
After I installed my Europipe 2 Loud I asked out loud to no one in particular, "That's loud?"

I don't think it is very loud at all and could be turned up a notch or two. I can only wonder what a "Quiet" sounds like. Gotta be too anemic for my taste.

I have noticed it is louder when fired up cold. And it does turn some heads when firing up at the local cars & coffee.

That being said, I love my Europipe. It was the final touch, along with the X73, SSK and flash, that transformed the car into what it was meant to be. Go for it SSST you'll love it!
Old 08-08-2012, 11:18 AM
Scott.
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SSST
Agreed! I couldn't justify the cost and went with a used Remus for 1500. I still felt ripped off for an exhaust that's half the size of a normal front engine piece and twice the price.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:46 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Agree, the porsche tax is rediculous. I wonder how much RD actually goes into a muffler anyway, other than fitment/cats probably not much would be my bet.
It's an expensive car, parts are expensive, RD is(was) involved, I get it. But 5k mufflers are hard to swallow, esp when the car's been out a number of years, just sayin'.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Porsche Tax